The Finance Thread

SillyBilly

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35265467

Millions of current account customers are being advised to consider their options, following an increase in fees, and changes in interest rates.

From Monday, monthly charges on the Santander 123 account - held by 3.6 million people - will more than double.

At the same time HSBC is cutting interest payments to customers on both current accounts, and Individual Savings Accounts (Isas).

Barclays also announced more cash rewards for those who switch.

The change in Santander fees - announced in September - will see customers paying £60 a year, instead of the previous fee of £24.

The charge for its 123 credit card rises from £24 a year to £36.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Phoenix said:

A little light relief. Didn't know where to post this, and didn't want to start a new thread, so I've put it here. It amused me, anyway.

I had an e-mail from HSBC, a bank I don't personally bank with, apologising for "the inconvenience and frustration that you may have experienced as a result of our recent Online Banking issues.

Our Online Banking services are now working and we are monitoring them closely.

I want to reassure you that this was not a cyber attack. The problems experienced were due to internal issues and at no time was your data at risk. "

It was signed by a John Hackett.

Was it sent by their Nigerian branch by chance?:lol:

Being serious, there seems to be a lot of glitches causing systems to be going down, you would almost think they were planned to see what would happen.

Reminds me of the phrase don't keep all your eggs in one basket, just ask any Icelandic bank customer from a few years back. Pays to be cynical at times.

33 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35277668

Floods bill for winter estimated at 1.3bn, says ABI

not great news especially after the increase in IPT (insurance premium tax)

your home insurance will increase significantly :angry:

I imagine the Chancellor is looking forward to some lolly from VAT on the repairs and replacements. 

In other news Roll's Royce car sales have dropped 54% in China last year.  

On 9 January 2016 at 13:53, SillyBilly said:

http://inequalitybriefing.org/graphics/briefing_43_UK_regions_poorest_North_Europe.pdf

I find the above a shocking indicator. The rest of the U.K bar London is the poorest part of Northern Europe. 9 out of 10 of the poorest regions in Northern Europe are in the U.K while London is the richest. I wonder when people are going to start demanding some action now the only people making any money in the U.K are corrupt bankers?This is partly the reason I feel our long term future is bleak, its like UK PLC has been asset stripped apart from banking.

When's that referendum again?

12 year low hit today in crude. Below $31 for US crude. We are approaching the big $30 marker.

All things considered FTSE didn't do too badly to finish only 0.7% down in this carnage. Still waiting for the 5500.

Could conceivably go to $20 whilst there are ships out at sea not being able to off load their cargo, owing to excess supply.

Stating the obvious, still the opportunity for another 50% fall and put like that, it's still why commodity traders are reluctant to trade it.

46 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Oil can't go down forever though (can it?). End of the day, it's pretty important stuff that we all need. 

Kind of explains Osbournes sudden decision to cut subsidies to green energy suppliers. Increase our reliance on oil, and stop people being able to collect their own free energy from the sun, keeping them tied to the grid that feeds these big corporations.

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

Could conceivably go to $20 whilst there are ships out at sea not being able to off load their cargo, owing to excess supply.

Stating the obvious, still the opportunity for another 50% fall and put like that, it's still why commodity traders are reluctant to trade it.

Another 3 US departed crude tankers this week turned back in the Mid-Atlantic after no buyer found in Europe. To dock in U.S waters again. Unprecedented really.

Zero-hedge have just ran an article claiming not a single container or tanker was in the Mid Atlantic last night. How true that is I don't know. They seem to barely believe it either. Baltic dry index completely collapsed at the moment. Its just not profitable to ship at the moment, must all be running at losses on every voyage.

I take shipping as a lagging indicator. As such we will only feel the reverberations of this in a few months time when it filters through to corporate earnings, profits and therefore equity prices - there is a dearth of global trade so I cannot see how earnings are not going to under-perform against this backdrop later in the year? I notice the U.S trade deficit has decreased. Normally a good thing, right? Except it has decreased because for the first time since the last crisis exports AND imports have decreased. You usually see weak export performance being covered by increased imports...except there is lethargic consumption as well now. Weak demand all over. FTSE will, overall, have a bad year IMO. A bounce shortly but the prevailing trend is negative IMO.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

We should club together,  empty an oil tanker into our jerry cans and sell it back when it hits 100 usd a barrel!

At 13 pence a litre, its about as valuable as mineral water from Aldi :p. Could be a right bargain.

9 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

Another 3 US departed crude tankers this week turned back in the Mid-Atlantic after no buyer found in Europe. To dock in U.S waters again. Unprecedented really.

Zero-hedge have just ran an article claiming not a single container or tanker was in the Mid Atlantic last night. How true that is I don't know. They seem to barely believe it either. Baltic dry index completely collapsed at the moment. Its just not profitable to ship at the moment, must all be running at losses on every voyage.

I take shipping as a lagging indicator. As such we will only feel the reverberations of this in a few months time when it filters through to corporate earnings, profits and therefore equity prices - there is a dearth of global trade so I cannot see how earnings are not going to under-perform against this backdrop later in the year? I notice the U.S trade deficit has decreased. Normally a good thing, right? Except it has decreased because for the first time since the last crisis exports AND imports have decreased. You usually see weak export performance being covered by increased imports...except there is lethargic consumption as well now. Weak demand all over. FTSE will, overall, have a bad year IMO. A bounce shortly but the prevailing trend is negative IMO.

Exactly the same has happened with the our trade deficit. 

Archived