Live Game Thread 15/16

sage

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

I don't blame him, who would want to manage Reading anyway? 

Why wouldn't you want to manage them? Nice area, owners willing to back, a top-level academy, a nice stadium.

Yeh they don't get many fans compared to bigger clubs, and their atmosphere is poor. But that isn't the be all and end all of football, certainly hasn't hindered Villarreal this side of the millennium.

There are probably a good 15-18 worse clubs to manage in the Championship, and Fulham is one.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Yes. Another employer wanted to speak to him so he agreed. With the permission of his present employer.

Not at all disgraceful.

Reading have an open policy of allowing managers to speak to other clubs, it's called trust.

Clarke going, and most certainly would have acepted had it been a better financial offer, goes to show where he's at. It's not about being loyal, as that rarely exists in football, it's about decency.

He's fecked them. Reading's players clearly don't want to play for someone who is willing to leave them at the drop of a hat, Reading supporters don't want a manager who is willing to leave them at a drop of the hat.

But now, after a very good start, he's completely rocked the boat there and sacking him will cost Reading money. What he has done is disgraceful.

It's like me going on a date with another girl just to see what's out there, and then deciding afterall I'm better off with my current girlfriend. You think she would be happy?

The players and fans clearly don't want him there now. The guy's behaviour is disgraceful. Imagine if Clement left us to speak to Middlesbrough, and then decided not to go and come back.

You think our fans would welcome him with open arms? I'd tell him to do one...

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Reading have an open policy of allowing managers to speak to other clubs, it's called trust.

Clarke going, and most certainly would have acepted had it been a better financial offer, goes to show where he's at. It's not about being loyal, as that rarely exists in football, it's about decency.

He's fecked them. Reading's players clearly don't want to play for someone who is willing to leave them at the drop of a hat, Reading supporters don't want a manager who is willing to leave them at a drop of the hat.

But now, after a very good start, he's completely rocked the boat there and sacking him will cost Reading money. What he has done is disgraceful.

It's like me going on a date with another girl just to see what's out there, and then deciding afterall I'm better off with my current girlfriend. You think she would be happy?

The players and fans clearly don't want him there now. The guy's behaviour is disgraceful. Imagine if Clement left us to speak to Middlesbrough, and then decided not to go and come back.

You think our fans would welcome him with open arms? I'd tell him to do one...

How do you know what the financial terms were?

It is nothing to do with dates. Nothing at all.

If another employer wanted to speak to me about a job, it is my responsibility, even my duty to my family to consider it. If you think that's disgraceful, then that's a shame.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

If another employer wanted to speak to me about a job, it is my responsibility, even my duty to my family to consider it. If you think that's disgraceful, then that's a shame.

It would be similar to us hating on Bryson for having talks with Burnley, but we all support him at the club. 

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You're clearly not thinking of it from a Reading persepctive. I'm quite shocked you actually think this sort of thing is OK.

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

So what? Clarke lived in London for a long time and might have seen something in Fulham that made him consider the move. 

Just don't think it was a fair comparison between Bryson and Clarke, just my opinion.

If you are suggesting he would leave Reading to go to Fulham because of location that would be ridiculous in my opinion.

Just out of interest, how do you know where he lived? !

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

You're clearly not thinking of it from a Reading persepctive. I'm quite shocked you actually think this sort of thing is OK.

You clearly don't have kids. 

If I was offered a job that allowed me more time with my kids and my wife or something less stressful that improved my health to be able to do more with them or if someone wanted to pay me more, I would HAVE TO consider it. What our clients or my colleagues thought would be a consideration but secondary to my family.

That you are shocked is strange. What is there to be shocked about?

Presumably, Clarke considered what the reaction of his players would be and has strategies to deal with it. He presumably considered what the more bellicose supporters, the local press etc might say about him.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just don't think it was a fair comparison between Bryson and Clarke, just my opinion.

If you are suggesting he would leave Reading to go to Fulham because of location that would be ridiculous in my opinion.

Just out of interest, how do you know where he lived? !

Granted I'm guessing about where he lived, but he played for Chelsea for 11 years and was a coach for Chelsea and West Ham for 7 years so I thought it was likely he probably lived in the area. 

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You clearly don't have kids. 

If I was offered a job that allowed me more time with my kids and my wife or something less stressful that improved my health to be able to do more with them or if someone wanted to pay me more, I would HAVE TO consider it. What our clients or my colleagues thought would be a consideration but secondary to my family.

That you are shocked is strange. What is there to be shocked about?

Presumably, Clarke considered what the reaction of his players would be and has strategies to deal with it. He presumably considered what the more bellicose supporters, the local press etc might say about him.

There is a clear difference between the real world and football...

I understand where you are coming from. If somebody gave me the opportunity to talk to another employer who could offer more money, less hours, better health care, better working environment etc. I'd gladly go and speak to them

But this is football, this isn't a simple bumper of $18k per year to $21k and better health care.

Finance, time, location, family time etc... It's Football, and it's not even a huge difference like Sunderland to Brighton. Reading and Fulham doesn't even come into a location debate.

What he did was ridiculous, and the only losers from it are Reading. They have to sack him because the fans have already turned on him, and results suggest the players have lost faith too.

Sacking him will cost Reading a seven-figure sum. Now, is that really fair? The guy won't walk away, he's basically backed Reading into a corner and shat on them.

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

People hate McClaren for less

So why is JFH still regarded as a decent person. If he suddenly decided (rightly) that QPR is a crap hole, and went back to Burton, would they hate him?

Probably not, fans are fickle, JFH has been very successful for them and they'll forgive anything as long as that success continues.

At the end of the day, Reading are doing okay, but they're no Derby County, so Clarke hasn't really done enough to earn that loyalty. If they reading fans hound him out, they're probably reasonably confident they can replace him with someone else that will put them in mid table mediocrity. They might even improve. 

Mid McClaren had left us clear at the top of the league, like Clough did with Burton, and JFH is doing with Burton, then there would probably be a lot less hard feelings. If he'd have gone when the rumours first started, when Newcastle actually needed him, it might have worked out better for us than the eventual collapse that we witnessed. 

11 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

So why is JFH still regarded as a decent person. If he suddenly decided (rightly) that QPR is a crap hole, and went back to Burton, would they hate him?

Probably not, fans are fickle, JFH has been very successful for them and they'll forgive anything as long as that success continues.

At the end of the day, Reading are doing okay, but they're no Derby County, so Clarke hasn't really done enough to earn that loyalty. If they reading fans hound him out, they're probably reasonably confident they can replace him with someone else that will put them in mid table mediocrity. They might even improve. 

Mid McClaren had left us clear at the top of the league, like Clough did with Burton, and JFH is doing with Burton, then there would probably be a lot less hard feelings. If he'd have gone when the rumours first started, when Newcastle actually needed him, it might have worked out better for us than the eventual collapse that we witnessed. 

Key difference being the current status of QPR and Burton.

Reading are actually in a better position than Fulham, that's what made the whole Clarke this ridiculous. It would probably be the equivalent of Paul Clement leaving to hold talks with Wolves.

Smacked of a 'WTF' moment for the Reading fans. And it completely derailed them. They were 2nd in the league not long ago, having beaten Burnley and Boro back-to-back!

Anyone watching Ipswich vs Boro? 

0-0 so far, Ipswich probably shading it.

So much up and under football though. Middlesbrough have been so open in midfield out of possession, a tactic I reckon they've gone for as they know Ipswich don't play passing football.

Every third pass is a long ball, it's actually quite funny. You can see why it's effective though.

I reckon Boro will nick it 0-1. They seem that sort of team this year, play average but win.

Archived