Live Game Thread 15/16

sage

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLS football for some reason still gets a bad rep. Probably by the same people who still think the USA are some minnows in the footballwing world and about as good as Malta or Lithuania.

Of course the MLS isn't as good as the Premier League, nor is at as good as Liga 1, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc.

But there is scattered quality in there and at least they're making good progress. The level across the board is at a better average than a number of Europe's other leagues.

Point to top teams in a range of European countries, but the MLS is of higher standard than the Dutch, Portuguese, Belgian, Greek, Swiss leagues as an average cause the bottom teams in said leagues are rubbish.

Obviously European football is the hotbed of football around the world. I can never envisage top players in their prime looking at selecting the MLS over Champions League football, especially Europeans.

There have been an influx of Mexican players going there though. Gio dos Santos opting for LA Galaxy over Villarreal was a surprise, though who can argue against the amazing lifestyle he will have?

The Wage Cap is still a problem in the MLS though. While it's a good idea, it will make footballers think twice about going there. Giles Barnes is only on 3.5k a week max. That's his cap, he can't earn more unless Houston shuffle things around.

4 minutes ago, mozza said:

Pleased for Lee Carsley , take the job man , you know it makes sense .. ..

No way - he hates it.

Join Derby's coaching academy at the end of the season.

I like Brentford. I like a lot of what their owner is trying to implement. Looking at a particular style, bringing in players to fit said style and doing it from a statistical standpoint.

Assuming they also check the players' decision-making, movement and other key factors, I see no harm in identifying players fit for said role based on their attributes. 

George Thorne is a DM, he boasts the most passes, tackles, interceptions etc. in the league in that area. Those stats don't lie, he is very good at the role he is employed to do.

Where I disagree with the Brentford owner is all the analysis on results, predicting where they should be in the league based on percentages and things like that. As a manager working under that, it would drive me mad as so many different footbaling factors/situations which can't be answered through numbers are probably overlooked.

Anyway, on to the game. Thought it was a pretty dull one, but Brentford's one bit of real quality won it for them. They've got a decent team, and one which would be much better had they not suffered injuries and sold Andre Gray.

I reckon they'll be one of those floaters just outside the playoffs with the potential to get in them. QPR on the other, I called it ages ago that they would struggle. Literally have no plan, direction or style. Without Austin and Phillips they'd be bottom eight fodder.

Birmingham v Wolves for me, old Kenny Jackett needs a win today or his gaffers could be reviewing his situation soon, a Wolves win would be handy for us an' all (Birmingham would stay on 24 points so we could go 3 up on them) so it's a come on you Wolves from me.

14 hours ago, eddie said:

No way - he hates it.

Join Derby's coaching academy at the end of the season.

I was thinking exactly the same as you Eddie after they interviewed him after the match,he would be a usefull addition at Moor Farm.

10 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Birmingham v Wolves for me, old Kenny Jackett needs a win today or his gaffers could be reviewing his situation soon, a Wolves win would be handy for us an' all (Birmingham would stay on 24 points so we could go 3 up on them) so it's a come on you Wolves from me.

And me

Liverpool have just about been the better side in a pretty poor game, they just can't create clear cut chances and take them. Could do with getting Benteke on the pitch if he's fit enough.

And as I type this Liverpool equalise, lovely goal from Countinho

1-!

Archived