Live Game Thread 15/16

sage

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arsenal's reserves are looking so poor.

Was a stupid decision to not at least start one or two of your prized jewels.

You'd never catch Madrid or Barca resting Messi or Ronaldo during cup games, even against lower-league oppposition. Why Wenger decided to drop Ozil, Cazorla, Alexis AND Coquelin is bizarre.

He totally underestimated Sheffield Wednesday. Glad they're getting beat.

Arsenal's reserves are looking so poor.

Was a stupid decision to not at least start one or two of your prized jewels.

You'd never catch Madrid or Barca resting Messi or Ronaldo during cup games, even against lower-league oppposition. Why Wenger decided to drop Ozil, Cazorla, Alexis AND Coquelin is bizarre.

He totally underestimated Sheffield Wednesday. Glad they're getting beat.

To be fair there is enough experience in the team with Cech, Mertersacker, Debuchy, Gibbs, Flamini, Oxlade, Giroud to be doing better than losing 3-0 to Sheff Wednesday

To be fair there is enough experience in the team with Cech, Mertersacker, Debuchy, Gibbs, Flamini, Oxlade, Giroud to be doing better than losing 3-0 to Sheff Wednesday

Cech and Giroud I'd agree. Gibbs and Debuchy are fullbacks and can rarely influence the game, Mertesacker has been carried by Laurent Koscielny this season and Flamini is playing woefully bad.

Oxlade-Chamberlain and Theo Walcott's injuries obviously didn't help.

But that team out there just doesn't look up to it. There is no pace in there whatsoever, while there is no width meaning they can't get Giroud into the game. There have been so little crosses.

Just a really poor team selection.

Don't want to take anything away from Sheffield Wednesday, but it's not even been difficult for them. They've just sat back, snuffed out Arsenal's slow passing and hit on the counter, won free-kicks and corners and scored from them.

Cech and Giroud I'd agree. Gibbs and Debuchy are fullbacks and can rarely influence the game, Mertesacker has been carried by Laurent Koscielny this season and Flamini is playing woefully bad.

Oxlade-Chamberlain and Theo Walcott's injuries obviously didn't help.

But that team out there just doesn't look up to it. There is no pace in there whatsoever, while there is no width meaning they can't get Giroud into the game. There have been so little crosses.

Just a really poor team selection.

Don't want to take anything away from Sheffield Wednesday, but it's not even been difficult for them. They've just sat back, snuffed out Arsenal's slow passing and hit on the counter, won free-kicks and corners and scored from them.

I agree with Wenger in resting his main players. He does it every single year and most years, his team of a scattering of fIrst teamers and reserves does the business. When exactly are the fringe players supposed to get a chance?

So what if Real Madrid wouldn't rest Ronaldo and Barcelona wouldn't rest Messi. Who cares.

Nothing poor about Wenger's selection. Just a top performance from Wednesday and that is where the credit should go.

I agree with Wenger in resting his main players. He does it every single year and most years, his team of a scattering of fIrst teamers and reserves does the business. When exactly are the fringe players supposed to get a chance?

So what if Real Madrid wouldn't rest Ronaldo and Barcelona wouldn't rest Messi. Who cares.

Nothing poor about Wenger's selection. Just a top performance from Wednesday and that is where the credit should go.

He lost Walcott and Chamberlain to injury which could be a massive blow for Arsenal in other competitions 

He lost Walcott and Chamberlain to injury which could be a massive blow for Arsenal in other competitions 

I really do feel for Wenger at times. He has had no luck at all with injuries over the past 3~4 seasons.

it must be infuriating losing players in a competition that has so little meaning.

The selection was woeful, and I'd put massive blame on any manager doing such a thing.

A scattering of fringe players plus your best players is OK, but a scattering of fringe players plus lesser first-team players in the most important positions is absolutely terrible.

I agree in that credit should go Sheffield Wednesday's way. They were brilliant.

But from an Arsenal perspective, it was all wrong. Arsenal should have played their best centre-back, at least one of their two best midfielders and at least one of their two best attacking players.

Resting their five best players was such a poor decision. Fair enough if it's the League Cup first-round away at Barnet, but not the last 16 with a genuine chance of making it to Wembley.

Archived