what went wrong last night

B4ev6is

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My pennyworth in this thread for what its worth. Its all down to midfield. We had ideas of being strong in that department but from my perspective we are now quite weak. Our midfield now consists of Thorne (superb) Hendrick (not good enough to take us forward) Hanson (still a lot to prove at this level) Dawkins (silky feet but yet to dominate games). That's it! Bryson to come back soon(ish) but we only have George to take us to that next level.Quite weak.

Well how is hasion going to get any better from not playing and same with dawkins he needs game time.

I agree that these players need more game time to improve, but do you think we should risk that right now?

I personally think we need to get some new players to strengthen the midfield. 

Dawkins is not going to be as good as Hughes no matter how much game time he gets, that is obvious to me.

I really dont think Hendrick is good enough for our midfield either, He's an average championship player, but i feel we have pushed on from that now. 

I really hope we can put a better performance in tomorrow, we need it!

My pennyworth in this thread for what its worth. Its all down to midfield. We had ideas of being strong in that department but from my perspective we are now quite weak. Our midfield now consists of Thorne (superb) Hendrick (not good enough to take us forward) Hanson (still a lot to prove at this level) Dawkins (silky feet but yet to dominate games). That's it! Bryson to come back soon(ish) but we only have George to take us to that next level.Quite weak.

Totally Agree,

Imagine if Thorne picks up another injury, we will have gone from having one of the best midfields in the championship to average at best.

Just put round pegs in round holes.....stop fkn about.

we haven't got two holding midfielders; baird is a full back; the diamond doesn't suit us or anyone else. We've signed a £2m striker so play him as a striker; we've signed a £4m right side attacking midfielder so so play him as a right side attacking midfielder. The formation then selects itself. 4  1 3 2. Get on with it.

players who are out.....tough sht.....you won't get selected.

..........................CARSON

BAIRD.......KEOGG.....SHACKELL.....?

.........................THORNE

INCE................DAWKINS.............RUSSELL

............WEIMANN..........MARTIN

RESERVES: GRANT; SSEWANKAMBO; FORSYTH OR WARNOCK; SHOTTON; PEARCE; BUCKO; HANSON; CHRISTIE; HENDRICK; BRYSON; BENT; CALERO 

Just put round pegs in round holes.....stop fkn about.

we haven't got two holding midfielders; baird is a full back; the diamond doesn't suit us or anyone else. We've signed a £2m striker so play him as a striker; we've signed a £4m right side attacking midfielder so so play him as a right side attacking midfielder. The formation then selects itself. 4  1 3 2. Get on with it.

players who are out.....tough sht.....you won't get selected.

..........................CARSON

BAIRD.......KEOGG.....SHACKELL.....?

.........................THORNE

INCE................DAWKINS.............RUSSELL

............WEIMANN..........MARTIN

RESERVES: GRANT; SSEWANKAMBO; FORSYTH OR WARNOCK; SHOTTON; PEARCE; BUCKO; HANSON; CHRISTIE; HENDRICK; BRYSON; BENT; CALERO 

Er... isn't that basically the formation we've been playing in pre-season?

Er... isn't that basically the formation we've been playing in pre-season?

Are you serious? 

v villarreal  

..............................Carson

baird ........keogh..........pearce............warnock

...........................thorne

.........hendrick....................hughes

..........................ince

............weimann.........martin

Are you serious? 

v villarreal  

..............................Carson

baird ........keogh..........pearce............warnock

...........................thorne

.........hendrick....................hughes

..........................ince

............weimann.........martin

Yep, fail to see the huge difference from before.

Yep, fail to see the huge difference from before.

can't really help you if can't understand the difference.

a midfield three with width and players in their best positions v a diamond with ince central.

Here Johann Cryuff explains the diamond and how he prefers to introduce width......

https://vimeo.com/136318783

schteve played the system as johann would play it.......two wide strikers and martin dropping deep to be the point of the diamond and getting into the box when we attack.......

the diamond we played against villarreal and bolton was narrow

here johann cryuff explains the limitations which were so very evident - especially v bolton

https://vimeo.com/136318989

i think that he explains it very well.

Here Johann Cryuff explains the diamond and how he prefers to introduce width......

schteve played the system as johann would play it.......two wide strikers and martin dropping deep to be the point of the diamond and getting into the box when we attack.......

here johann cryuff explains the limitations which were so very evident - especially v bolton

Top post, very informative, ditch the diamond!!!!

Interestingly, in the first half against Villareal, the diamond was wide, as intended, and we got ripped apart in the middle. Hughes and Hendrick were playing almost as wingers, leaving only Thorne in the midfield area. 

In the second half Hughesy in particular player much more narrow and it helped us get on top of them. And that's how its been since.

Seems like you can't win either way, so best perhaps to try something else!!

Interestingly, in the first half against Villareal, the diamond was wide, as intended, and we got ripped apart in the middle. Hughes and Hendrick were playing almost as wingers, leaving only Thorne in the midfield area. 

In the second half Hughesy in particular player much more narrow and it helped us get on top of them. And that's how its been since.

Seems like you can't win either way, so best perhaps to try something else!!

you're right ....hughes and hendrick were pushed wide to defend and the midfield was weakened

furthermore neither of those players are comfortable attacking from wide positions.....they both need to be more central.

ince, weimann and martin were all central which didn't work either - see video clip i posted in the 'the diamond' thread 

but if we played ince and russell wide of martin we deal with their full backs and have a wide attacking threat ourselves. Furthermore the central midfielders are not required to run around like crazy trying to cover overlapping full backs and central midfielders - what craig ramage describes as "doing doggies.".

Having two wide strikers, the choice then is whether to play thorne, and two central midfielders - eg dawkins and hendrick or just play one, let martin drop off, and play weimann as a second striker to add another attacking dimension.

I'm not fussed tbh....but with hughes injured and weimann having cost a few quid, i would maybe try the latter.

you're right ....hughes and hendrick were pushed wide to defend and the midfield was weakened

furthermore neither of those players are comfortable attacking from wide positions.....they both need to be more central.

ince, weimann and martin were all central which didn't work either - see video clip i posted in the 'the diamond' thread 

but if we played ince and russell wide of martin we deal with their full backs and have a wide attacking threat ourselves. Furthermore the central midfielders are not required to run around like crazy trying to cover overlapping full backs and central midfielders - what craig ramage describes as "doing doggies.".

Having two wide strikers, the choice then is whether to play thorne, and two central midfielders - eg dawkins and hendrick or just play one, let martin drop off, and play weimann as a second striker to add another attacking dimension.

I'm not fussed tbh....but with hughes injured and weimann having cost a few quid, i would maybe try the latter.

I agree, it will be harder to mark and a little more fluid.

Archived