Least/most impressive player in pre season so far?

Sam_DCFC_1994

Even if if it was a foul? No, it was a foul. 

Would I have liked Warnock to have let the attacker carry on bearing down on goal? Well I don't remember saying that I did.

You didn't .

My point is what option did he have after Pearce was left for dead. 

Warnocks tackle resulted in a free kick outside the box that harmlessly went over the bar. 

As for Forsyth or Warnock id say it's nice to have them both and I shouldn't have called Forsyth calamity Forsyth but i was just joking though about his distribution sometimes last season 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I don't stand for much of this modern nonsense in football, Chris Martin falling over and getting a freekick for it etc. Last night Keogh made a surging run, passed the ball and then jumped on top of a Villareal player. Villareal freekick all day long yet somehow we got the freekick on the edge of their area because defenders aren't allowed to do their jobs anymore. It was the same as Frank Fielding getting sent off against Forest - it should have been a Derby freekick. 

But even by my extremely manly standards, the Warnock one wasn't a freekick? Yes he won the ball, but only after completely taking the Villareal player out. Even in the Victorian era that was a foul.

You're kidding right? As clear a pen and red card as you'll ever see, Fielding jumped right into him. I could see your point if he'd stayed on his feet but he really didn't.

You're kidding right? As clear a pen and red card as you'll ever see, Fielding jumped right into him. I could see your point if he'd stayed on his feet but he really didn't.

No he pretty much jumped upwards and made himself big Peter Schmeicel style. Or in other words held his ground. As he had made a few steps forward to make the goal smaller there was an ever so slight forward momentum. Whereas their big lad sprinted straight into him. Would you have preferred Fielding to roll out the red carpet for him? The onus should be on the attacker to get around the defender not for the defender to move out of the way.

Tell me, if a police officer saw somebody run full pelt and barge into someone on the street who do you think they'd be talking to?

Its one of the reasons I'll take Messi over Ronaldo. Ronaldo wins a lot of freekicks that he then converts by doing precisely this, knocking the ball past a defender and then running into them before promptly falling over. Obstruction should not be standing your ground or moving within your natural turning circle.

You didn't .

My point is what option did he have after Pearce was left for dead. 

Warnocks tackle resulted in a free kick outside the box that harmlessly went over the bar. 

Forsyth or Warnock .

Id say it's nice to have them both and I shouldn't have called Forsyth calamity Forsyth .

i was just joking though about his distribution sometimes last season 

Ita debatable that he needed to make the foul as Keogh was there. If he'd left it half a yard later it would have been a penalty. He also gave the referee a decision to make regarding it being in or out of the box. Not saying he shouldn't have fouled, but it's not a clear cut case of needing to take one for the team.

This time last week is have said Forsyth. Now I'm not sure but it's looking like Clement might go with Warnock.

No he pretty much jumped upwards and made himself big Peter Schmeicel style. Or in other words held his ground. As he had made a few steps forward to make the goal smaller there was an ever so slight forward momentum. Whereas their big lad sprinted straight into him. Would you have preferred Fielding to roll out the red carpet for him?

Tell me, if a police officer saw somebody run full pelt and barge into someone on the street who do you think they'd be talking to?

Its one of the reasons I'll take Messi over Ronaldo. Ronaldo wins a lot of freekicks that he then converts by doing precisely this, knocking the ball past a defender and then running into them before promptly falling over. Obstruction should not be standing your ground or moving within your natural turning circle.

You'd have a point if Fielding simply 'stood his ground' but what actually happened is Miller knocked it past Fielding who then dived sideways with 0 chance of getting anywhere near the ball and Miller crashed into him. If Fielding had not dived across Miller yes you'd have a point.

For me it's like charging in basketball, if he'd stood his ground and got clattered it should be a free kick to us but the minute he dives and then there's contact it's a pen and a red card cause without it Miller is tapping the ball into an empty net.

To humour your daft analogy, if the guy was running in a straight line and someone in the street jumped up with his arms spread right in front of him I reckon they'd be having a stern word with the second guy.

The Villarreal player wasn't through on goal. Keogh was there. I know that because Warnock tackled Keogh too. It was a foul and a ott lunge

But I barely care because this is my whole point. It was 1 moment in 90 minutes. Warnock played well. 

That's my whole point. You can put up Wolves highlights,  Wembley highlights, Forest highlights etc etc. 

If you're going to go down the route of pulling a player apart for 1 poor moment in 90 mins or 10 bad games in 100 then you're as bad as those idiots on Sky Sports and sat on that comfy MOTD sofa. 

You shouldn't be saying "What exactly went wrong here when this team had a great chance. Let's find the culprit"

You should be saying "how was his contribution over the entire game/season. Was it positive"

Everyone wants to be a TV pundit. Analysing every goal. There are hundreds of mistakes in a match. Someone might make 10 and get away with them. Someone might make 1 and it be costly and everyone is all over that 1. 

If coaches took it this far you'd have players scared to play. 

Overall contribution is what matters. And back to the begining... Forsyth is a way above average defender at LB OVERALL. On the ball he needs work. But that's why he plays in the Championship. Finding clips v Wolves won't take away the fact that he's one or the better LB's in the Champ. 

Everyone makes mistakes. Chefs, surgeons, Doctors, police detectives etc etc. It's about how much good everyone does. We'd never get anywhere if we analysed errors like we do in football 

You'd have a point if Fielding simply 'stood his ground' but what actually happened is Miller knocked it past Fielding who then dived sideways with 0 chance of getting anywhere near the ball and Miller crashed into him. If Fielding had not dived across Miller yes you'd have a point.

For me it's like charging in basketball, if he'd stood his ground and got clattered it should be a free kick to us but the minute he dives and then there's contact it's a pen and a red card cause without it Miller is tapping the ball into an empty net.

To humour your daft analogy, if the guy was running in a straight line and someone in the street jumped up with his arms spread right in front of him I reckon they'd be having a stern word with the second guy.

Apart from I do not think that's what happened. They were so close together at the point that they came together that Fielding should not be held accountable for that - it was not a deliberate foul. Miller kicked it past him, Fielding went to dive for it then Miller clattered into Fielding. Is Fielding not supposed to dive for the ball?

Miller engineered the situation. You could say it was clever from one point of view, but that's not my point of view. I reiterate the onus should be on the attacking player to get around the defender. And any dive Fielding made had negligible impact anyway, Miller literally did sprint straight into Fielding. They were square on with each other. All Fielding diving achieved was that his body shape changed. Miller was never going to stop in time. Derby Freekick, drop ball at best.

Apart from I do not think that's what happened. They were so close together at the point that they came together that Fielding should not be held accountable for that - it was not a deliberate foul. Miller kicked it past him, Fielding went to dive for it then Miller clattered into Fielding. Is Fielding not supposed to dive for the ball?

Miller engineered the situation. You could say it was clever from one point of view, but that's not my point of view. I reiterate the onus should be on the attacking player to get around the defender. And any dive Fielding made had negligible impact anyway, Miller literally did sprint straight into Fielding. They were square on with each other. All Fielding diving achieved was that his body shape changed. Miller was never going to stop in time. Derby Freekick, drop ball at best.

Completely agree. Miller didn't try to dribble past him. There was no room behind Fielding to do that. He scuffed his shot then ran into him. Fielding had jumped in a X position put on the spot, never moved forward after the the shot.  

I think we agree with the general point, but in my view Fielding clearly impeded Miller with an unnecessary dive that prevented a certain goal. We're not going to agree on that though so I'll leave it there

And no, there is no way at all Miller's first touch was a shot. A donkey he may be but he clearly pokes it past Fielding and would've had a tap in if he had not been taken out. If you don't think it's a foul then whatever, but don't be daft and say Miller has had a shot...

Completely agree. Miller didn't try to dribble past him. There was no room behind Fielding to do that. He scuffed his shot then ran into him. Fielding had jumped in a X position put on the spot, never moved forward after the the shot.  

It looks worse than it was because Fielding did rush out, but there's no reason he shouldn't rush out right up to Millers face if he wants to. But as you say, he'd all but stopped by the time he got to Miller. It's his job to get in the way. It's Millers job to get past him. Miller tried to go through him.

Archived