Can Clement make Men of Boys?

Rev

Watching tonight, seems to me like Clement maybe sees the diamond shape as plan A, rather than plan B, C or D.

Given that, can he make Hughes and Hendrick fit that system?

Giving more defensive responsibilities to the pair, to drop in and cover for full backs when under pressure, seems counter intuitive from what we've seen before, I've always seen both as better at the attacking part of the game, Jeff as a maruding type, and Will as the spare man always ready to receive, hold,and move on possession with ease.

Seems to me like a lot to ask of 2 young players, can they work that hard and still be as effective going forward, or do we risking taking away the best parts of their game in the pursuit of endeavour?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughes was the best player on the pitch tonight, I think he can definitely play in a diamond. 

Me too. But up against a side which plays to speedy or good wingers/widemen we would have to alter the formation as we would get punished in m view. 

I guess what I'm asking is 'Will we become more workmanlike, a la Boro, or can we have our fancy football cake and eat it?'.

I thought that we had Hughes the workman and Hughes the artist last night.

Hughes was the best player on the pitch tonight, I think he can definitely play in a diamond. 

Baird was Derby's best player. Best player on the pitch was Villarreals number 19, absolutely class.

dont get me wrong I was happy with the general performance last night but I feel some of our fans have gone way overboard. For this system to work there is a lot of work to do between now and Bolton. Our midfielders looked unsure where to be when we didn't have possession etc.

I would prefer to see ince in the hendick position, hughes in the ince position, and russell or bryson in the hughes position.

I would prefer to see ince in the hendick position, hughes in the ince position, and russell or bryson in the hughes position.

Its one of my bugbears people not understanding how midfield diamonds work. Yorkshireram said the same a month or two back. In a flat midfield 4 yes Ince and Russell could occupy those roles but not in a diamond when there is a lot of ball winning to be done. When possession is lost the 'wide' players in the diamond provide a shield for the defence. Do you want Ince, Russell and Thorne shielding our backline?

Also, usually wide players in this formation often drop in to cover the fullbacks when they bomb on as well. Johnny Russell is good at helping out his fullback, whereas say, Hendrick can actually play fullback. The formation is suited to box to box midfielders.

Using Hughes as a cover for Warnock worked very well but I never use my Porsche to take the grass cuttings to the tip. There is more chance of Hughes getting injured making defensive tackles and interceptions to no real use in my opinion.Hughes must be protected as he is pretty much irreplaceable.I never run my Trabant at more than 10,000 rpm as it is heavy on brown coal under those conditions.When games are won, take Hughes off. do not play him in Cup matches. Get out of the Cups quickly by playing the second eleven. If they cannot play in the Cups then why are they here? i remain unconvinced that we have enough players to change formations seamlessly during matches. i do agree with different formation sfor different matches. When under severe pressure, players revert to theiir basic game and may forget about the system that they have supposed to have changed into.

Archived