Richard Keogh

Smiffy2491

Steve McClaren: “I thought Richard was excellent again in the Cardiff game,” McClaren added. “He is valuable to us on and off the field as our leader.”

Nigel Clough: "Despite Coventry's relegation last season, he was a commanding presence at the heart of their defence and he has both very good leadership qualities and the right sort of attitude to fit into our squad."

Cyrus Christie: “He is a fantastic player and a good leader."

mmmmmhhh.

Really unlikely Steve Mac would say "yeah, he's not very good is he'. You quote Nigel speculating at the time of his signing, and I would hazard a guess that Christie also made his comments on his arrival at the club, rather than say in April this year.

I like however Daveo you stand up for him. He is a sound player, and I guess a sound chap, and I wish him no ill.  On balance I hope there is a place for him in the squad, indeed team if he raises his game, but he does spend too much time on his arse or making last ditch tackles to be considered a really good defender IMO.  I also just don't see him as captain quality, but again that is only on the basis of what I see rather than being one of the ITKs.  If he goes, I hope he kicks on.  I think a new club could actually benefit him, and perhaps might once and for all give us all a chance to be a little more objective in time as to whether he was/is good or not.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve McClaren: “I thought Richard was excellent again in the Cardiff game,” McClaren added. “He is valuable to us on and off the field as our leader.”

Nigel Clough: "Despite Coventry's relegation last season, he was a commanding presence at the heart of their defence and he has both very good leadership qualities and the right sort of attitude to fit into our squad."

Cyrus Christie: “He is a fantastic player and a good leader."

It is VERY odd that a whole series of coaches (including McClaren and Martin O'Neil) plus a whole series of players (including all the guys voting in his league) think he's a good player... and it's still 50/50 amongst our fans...

I mean don't get me wrong... Quite often I think I know better than most of the managers out there... But it's almost certainly not true... Smacca's defo worse at taking down Crims on the mean streets of Gotham than I am... But probably knows more than I do about the quality of footballers...

My post was about the above, find it strange so many people say he's not a leader yet McClaren, Clough and even O'Neill made him captain for Ireland at the start of last season. 

I don't really know what all the players make of him as a leader but Christie the player to his right thinks he's a good leader, yet you're sat in the stand and saying he isn't. Not sure who to believe?

believe me;) no I'm joking.. I was wrong to say he's not a good leader.. I just felt like there was matches were we needed to regroup and enforce posistions. Some areas never got corrected. 

I'm interested to see who Clement makes as captain, if he sticks with Keogh that's 3 of our last managers that have all chose Keogh ahead of Buxton, Martin and whoever else that has been suggested.

The 3 men that work with the players day in day out.

And don't forget, being a captain is more than the 90 minutes we see on the pitch, Keogh maybe more valuable off the pitch to the squad than some realise. 

If Clement chooses Keogh I think this leadership discussion should really be put to bed.

In my opinion obviously.

The simple fact is.. Keogh is only as valuable as we make him out to be. He's got the determination, the heart, and everything else in between. But there's players out there that can come in and do keoghs job plus more. Players who would make Keogh look very average... And that's all I was trying to prove until the Keogh lovers stepped in and started WW3

The simple fact is.. Keogh is only as valuable as we make him out to be. He's got the determination, the heart, and everything else in between. But there's players out there that can come in and do keoghs job plus more. Players who would make Keogh look very average... And that's all I was trying to prove until the Keogh lovers stepped in and started WW3

Not a keogh lover, just don't think he's as bad as others seem to.

Also your initial example of a player who would make him look average was very debatable.

Not a keogh lover, just don't think he's as bad as others seem to.

Also your initial example of a player who would make him look average was very debatable.

I'm not saying he's a bad player.. But he's not quite as good as some make him out to be, and I certainly don't feel like he's somebody who plays a crucial part in our performances. He has 1 good game then usually 2 bad games (all besides the spell we went on with clean sheets).. 

I'm not saying he's a bad player.. But he's not quite as good as some make him out to be, and I certainly don't feel like he's somebody who plays a crucial part in our performances. He has 1 good game then usually 2 bad games (all besides the spell we went on with clean sheets).. 

So who should we sign to replace him? Or who from our current squad should we replace him with?

And I'm not just having a go at Keogh because he's always the go to person to moan about.. I'm saying it because I feel CB is a big area that needs improving. 

Keogh is woeful when it comes to defending corners. 

He puts unnecessary pressure on Grant, young Christie, and his co CB. All with silly pressured passes. 

We need a no nonsense CB who's good in the air. Who can win a ball back and distribute it to wingers/Hughes/Martin. 

Not just distribute it around the back and force fozzy Christie to have make runs or grant to have to make last second clearances. 

And I'm not just having a go at Keogh because he's always the go to person to moan about.. I'm saying it because I feel CB is a big area that needs improving. 

Keogh is woeful when it comes to defending corners. 

He puts unnecessary pressure on Grant, young Christie, and his co CB. All with silly pressured passes. 

We need a no nonsense CB who's good in the air. Who can win a ball back and distribute it to wingers/Hughes/Martin. 

Not just distribute it around the back and force fozzy Christie to have make runs or grant to have to make last second clearances. 

I agree, all of our defenders need improving in that area. But I don't think it's Keogh that needs replacing, it's whoever's along side him. Get rid of him and we'd lose much if we didn't have his pace to be honest. Get Shackell in along side him, take some of the pressure of him and I'd be happy.

Pearce.

Pearce is woefully slow from what Reading fans have told me. 

Pearce.

So you criticise Keogh who was voted by his piers as the 1st/2nd best centre back in the league, but you're quite happy to replace him with a centre back who was part of the team with the 5th worst defensive record in the league last season. The majority of Reading fans didn't seem too bothered about him leaving and were more concerned about keeping Hector. 

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why coaches KEEP picking Keogh if he's so dreadful? 

Question to the anti-Keogh crowd: If either a) Clement decides he's first choice or b) he ends up going to a Prem club over the summer will you admit there's a chance you're wrong about him?

Follow up question (implied above): Do you think you know better than Nigel, Smacca, O'Neil, Clement and all the FL players who reckon he's good?

So who should we sign to replace him? Or who from our current squad should we replace him with?

Shackell? Berra? Coates (loan)? Some talented player PC knows from his time at Mardid? PSG? Chelsea? There's a lot of talent out there...

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why coaches KEEP picking Keogh if he's so dreadful?

Question to the anti-Keogh crowd: If either a) Clement decides he's first choice or b) he ends up going to a Prem club over the summer will you admit there's a chance you're wrong about him?

Follow up question (implied above): Do you think you know better than Nigel, Smacca, O'Neil, Clement and all the FL players who reckon he's good?

Because they know nothing and we clearly know more for watching them play for 90 minutes once a week

ummmm. What choice did Mcclaren have last season? What was the alternative? Whitbread?:ph34r: and how can you even include Clement in that? When he's not even made ONE team sheet yet? 

Archived