14/15 - a good season NOT to go up?

Leam Ram

Woke up feeling strangely positive this morning.

The more I think about it, I'm wondering if it could actually be a blessing in disguise that we didn't go up this year.

1. We would've struggled, no doubt, if we had've gone up. Our defence would've been ripped to shreds. Given how long it took us to get over the last time that happened, maybe another year building is a good thing.

2. In my view, the league could be easier next year than this. QPR could well go down again with their financial problems. Burnley will be a mid-table team if they lose some of their key players. Ings is leaving and we're looking to buy one of the others ourselves. Not particular worried about Hull either, assuming they go down (and will increase our chance of getting Ince). Bristol City will do well on the flipside.

3. I think the new TV deal comes into force the season after next. So if we go up this coming season, we'll be a lot better financially than if we had of gone the season just gone and immediately been relegated again.

4. We can now give some of the younger prospects - and there's plenty of them - a real chance in the team. I doubt we would've been able to integrate them into the team in the Premier League. I expect big things from the likes of Calero and Hanson this year, to name but two.

5. You only have to see how the three promoted teams this year to know that the teams that build gradually seem to do better than the rapid climbers. We're actually quite similar to Leicester from a few years ago - other than the bin-dipping tendencies of course - and hopefully that means we'll go up and stay up.

COYRs!!!

:)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I think about it, I'm wondering if it could actually be a blessing in disguise that we didn't go up this year.

1. We would've struggled, no doubt, if we had've gone up. Our defence would've been ripped to shreds. Given how long it took us to get over the last time that happened, maybe another year building is a good thing.

2. In my view, the league could be easier next year than this. QPR could well go down again with their financial problems. Burnley will be a mid-table team if they lose some of their key players. Ings is leaving and we're looking to buy one of the others ourselves. Not particular worried about Hull either, assuming they go down (and will increase our chance of getting Ince). Bristol City will do well on the flipside.

3. I think the new TV deal comes into force the season after next. So if we go up this coming season, we'll be a lot better financially than if we had of gone the season just gone and immediately been relegated again.

4. We can now give some of the younger prospects - and there's plenty of them - a real chance in the team. I doubt we would've been able to integrate them into the team in the Premier League. I expect big things from the likes of Calero and Hanson this year, to name but two.

5. You only have to see how the three promoted teams this year to know that the teams that build gradually seem to do better than the rapid climbers. We're actually quite similar to Leicester from a few years ago - other than the bin-dipping tendencies of course - and hopefully that means we'll go up and stay up.

COYRs!!!

There is never a good time to not go up.

Its ok saying we would have been ripped to shreds but surely we would have strengthened?

If we go up next year isn't that going to mean strengthening will be a lot more expensive as the game becomes awash with more ridiculous amounts of money?

It's certainly a good year not to be involved in the playoff final with there being a rail strike that day (although talks are planned for next week)

COYRs!!!

​Nice try

never a good time to not go up. We can't hide away that this season has been an utter failure, losing to the scum and not even making play offs. I also think your point about hull is not true, i actually feel Ince is more likely to sign if hull stay up as they will play him week in week out in our league.

Regardless of the above points i do see where you are coming from and i am loving the positivity!

Like others have said, there's no 'good' time to go up or not to go up. You have to take it when you get it and can't exactly plan pushes/collapses for when it suits you.

Although should another season in this league strengthen us as a club and put us in a better position to compete in the PL hopefully in the 16/17 season then I'm all for it.

PistoldPete2

Yes I think that the new tv deal coming in for 2016/17 is a very good reason to go for promotion this year more than any other. Maybe we will spend big this summer I don't know. We certainly need a lot of activity.

Yes I think that the new tv deal coming in for 2016/17 is a very good reason to go for promotion this year more than any other. Maybe we will spend big this summer I don't know. We certainly need a lot of activity.

​Why do we? We finished 2 places outside of play offs with highest ever points total not to make the play offs. Do we really need that much activity?

COYRs!!!

​So you're over it. Congrats.

I ain't yet.

PistoldPete2

​Why do we? We finished 2 places outside of play offs with highest ever points total not to make the play offs. Do we really need that much activity?

Yes... We went backwards last year and we need to reverse that . 77 points might not seem that bad but it's worse than last year and nowhere near enough for autos. Also our recent form has been relegation form. And last of all, mascarell, bent and ince ( plus Lingard for what he's worth) have all gone back to their clubs plus martin is still injured and needs an operation. So yes a lot of work needed on the squad. 

Yes... We went backwards last year and we need to reverse that . 77 points might not seem that bad but it's worse than last year and nowhere near enough for autos. Also our recent form has been relegation form. And last of all, mascarell, bent and ince ( plus Lingard for what he's worth) have all gone back to their clubs plus martin is still injured and needs an operation. So yes a lot of work needed on the squad. 

​Some may argue that, despite their goals, Ince and Bent being introduced into the team contributed to us going backwards.

Our results prior to the loans coming in (Bent, Lingard, Ince) were good. It was then we started to go downhill. 

Read into that what you like.

If no players leave (I really cannot think there are too many clubs queuing around the block for Derby's players), then I think we need only a striker, a wide(ish) midfielder and a full back to leave us with a team that will challenge again. 

I wouldn't take any of the loan players on a perm and would rely on the current squad with 2~3 loan players to make up the numbers. A lot depends on the fitness of last seasons star signing. 

I hope McClaren doesn't feel the need to tinker with this team. He is of course in his final season if he fails to get us up so the pressure is very much on him. 

Going back to the initial point and the notion that 2014-5 was a bad season to go up? Well...if you go up then it's the best season to go up but as we failed, of course...2014-5 was a bad season to go up!

Burnleys signings last season were made with the championship in mind this season, they will be up there. Hull I think the same, they will only lose 2 or 3 players and have a good manager to get them back up. QPR could sell their first 11 and still have a decent team for this league and we all know they will find a way around the FFP and sign a few good players.

I'm still confident with a few decent signings we will be challenging though

The best chance we had of going up was that hour we had against 10 men at Wembley and we messed up. There will be no easier opportunity than that. This next season will be a hard slog but with a few quality signings I think we can give it a go. 

Our results prior to the loans coming in (Bent, Lingard, Ince) were good. It was then we started to go downhill. 

Read into that what you like.

If no players leave (I really cannot think there are too many clubs queuing around the block for Derby's players), then I think we need only a striker, a wide(ish) midfielder and a full back to leave us with a team that will challenge again. 

I wouldn't take any of the loan players on a perm and would rely on the current squad with 2~3 loan players to make up the numbers. A lot depends on the fitness of last seasons star signing. 

I hope McClaren doesn't feel the need to tinker with this team. He is of course in his final season if he fails to get us up so the pressure is very much on him. 

Going back to the initial point and the notion that 2014-5 was a bad season to go up? Well...if you go up then it's the best season to go up but as we failed, of course...2014-5 was a bad season to go up!

​I would be interested to hear if the loan signings did cause unrest.

It was no different to the season before really where we had both Wisdom and Bamford on loan.

I would prefer to see our own young talent being given a go than taking players on loan (unless with a view to a permanent signing) but Rush/Mac set out the strategy of loaning young Prem stars very early on in their tenure, it will be interesting to see if they persist with it given the RUMOURS of the loan signings causing unrest this season.

Archived