Fitness

LesterRam

​Heavy weights will bulk you up, light weights with more reps builds stamina.

​No they won't. This is like the biggest myth ever in regards to building muscle. I posted a link earlier in the thread and there are plenty more on Google that debunks this if you research it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a difference between muscular strength and muscular endurance though. But I don't think it's really relevant in this case, OP should definitely lift heavy if incorporating weights into the fitness/weightloss regime.

​so what's your thoughts on the light vs heavy weights regime?

​Less reps with heavy weights for size, higher reps with lighter weights builds endurance and more tone than size. 

The point is that you always have to overload and rep to failure. When people think light weights, and 20 reps, they think about repping with a bean can and it being easy, but by 18 reps you should be close to failure. If you aren't the weight isn't heavy enough. 

The trick is to overload the body or it won't adapt. Your muscles are lazy ******** and will only adapt if they have to. If they can handle the exercise as they are, there is no need to recruit more muscle fibres. 

That goes for recruiting fast twitch fibres by lifting heavy weights for low reps, or slow twitch muscle fibres by doing high reps of lower weights. 

​Less reps with heavy weights for size, higher reps with lighter weights builds endurance and more tone than size. 

The point is that you always have to overload and rep to failure. When people think light weights, and 20 reps, they think about repping with a bean can and it being easy, but by 18 reps you should be close to failure. If you aren't the weight isn't heavy enough. 

The trick is to overload the body or it won't adapt. Your muscles are lazy ******** and will only adapt if they have to. If they can handle the exercise as they are, there is no need to recruit more muscle fibres. 

That goes for recruiting fast twitch fibres by lifting heavy weights for low reps, or slow twitch muscle fibres by doing high reps of lower weights. 

So my regime of compounds at 5x5 and aiming for 12 on isolations is good to go? ;)

So my regime of compounds at 5x5 and aiming for 12 on isolations is good to go? ;)

​looking at your profile pic, you're definitely straining too much, I recommend less weight before your eyeballs fall out completely.

Unless you're using a photo of someone else as your profile pic.... Hmmmmmmmm

​You going for size mate? 

I am a bit in the middle myself. Not looking for great Dane, or a greyhound. Generally a 3 x 12 rep man, with a bit of pre-exhaust on the chest and quads. Seems to do the trick. 

I am a bit in the middle myself. Not looking for great Dane, or a greyhound. Generally a 3 x 12 rep man, with a bit of pre-exhaust on the chest and quads. Seems to do the trick. 

​what is pre-exhaust?

​what is pre-exhaust?

​Basically if you are doing exercises like the bench press, the arms are likely to tire way before the chest muscles. If you do an isolated chest exercise like say, a pec fly, that tires the chest slightly before going straight into a bench press. The arms are fresh but the chest is 'pre-exhausted'. 

​Size and definition, but my diet ain't good enough for definition - I mostly go just so my diet doesn't turn me into a fat *******! Just haven't got the motivation for a squeaky clean diet anymore :(

​looking at your profile pic, you're definitely straining too much, I recommend less weight before your eyeballs fall out completely.

Unless you're using a photo of someone else as your profile pic.... Hmmmmmmmm

​I think it's a caricature of Keogh. :ph34r:

​Size and definition, but my diet ain't good enough for definition - I mostly go just so my diet doesn't turn me into a fat *******! Just haven't got the motivation for a squeaky clean diet anymore :(

​Haha. I know the feeling. Them balti pies at half time are too damn appealing. 

I've always been heavy set (to put it nicely), but since starting Uni it has gotten worse. First year I was able to keep it under control, I worked a fair bit as a waiter so was on my feet all the time and I was in the gym a few times a week. This year I've had neither of those things. My degree is basically entirely done on computers, so guess where I spend all my day! Doesnt help I've got 4 deadlines and an exam in the next two weeks, which means take away and energy drinks. 

Fitness is definitely one of my jobs for the summer, I no longer play football or rugby(Did my back in at 15, old before my time) but is something I want to get started on again.

I've always been heavy set (to put it nicely), but since starting Uni it has gotten worse. First year I was able to keep it under control, I worked a fair bit as a waiter so was on my feet all the time and I was in the gym a few times a week. This year I've had neither of those things. My degree is basically entirely done on computers, so guess where I spend all my day! Doesnt help I've got 4 deadlines and an exam in the next two weeks, which means take away and energy drinks. 

Fitness is definitely one of my jobs for the summer, I no longer play football or rugby(Did my back in at 15, old before my time) but is something I want to get started on again.

No time to eat healthy as too busy with Uni work, he says in a post on a forum with almost 4k posts. :lol: 

Archived