Back to the Derby way

Seva

When we were at our best, this season and last, we all talked about playing the Derby way. This seem to have vanished, mostly because of the injuries and poor results we have had. To get our season back on track and get the confidence back, this is were we need to start. We have to get the players playing their familiar positions. We have to stop moving players around, it causes more woes than good, and it gets us distant from the Derby way. Thats why my team tomorrow would be like this:

Grant

Christie - Keogh - Whitbread - Forsyth

Hanson

Hendrick - Bryson

Russell                             Ward

Martin

This team (except Hanson) knows how to play the Derby way and have done it before. This team would play to the players strenghts. They know what to look for, the neat passing, the interchanges, to create space for each other and could gel. The can play it out from the back, get the ball moving and get the confidence back like we know they can. When we struggle it is important to go back to the things you know work.

I know that both Bent and Ince have scorde many and important goals, but they havent made our team better as I see it. They would be perfect as subs if and when we need it. 

Playing Blackpool like this could be perfect to get our confidence and movement back. That could kick start our season again.

With Hughes back, and hopefully Eustace or Thorne, we would have a team good enough to challenge anyone. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forsyth should be nowhere near the back four for the remainder of the season.

The contributions of Bent and Ince simply do not warrant them being dropped unceremoniously. Without the two of them ... we would be up **** creek even further than we are now. Their respective contributions cannot be disputed. Ince gets in the team any day of the week...he has been a hands down success, as has Bent.

For me, without a tried and tested defensive anchorman, the 'traditional' system is redundant ... we need to persist with Bent and Martin up top together, Martin was terrific in the battle as always, even when nowhere near match fit, and Bent's movement was first class...at present, he just isn't being found because our midfielders are not on his level.  

It is the midfield mix and the defence that are problematic, Bryson and Hendrick were woeful on Saturday. We missed Hughes' composure and touch desperately. We will have enough to beat Blackpool one way or another, but we needed Hughes to be out like we needed a hole in the forehead.

Whilst I agree ... young Hanson shows promise (any midfielder with the nickname 'Bruiser' is fine in my book) ... he is not a panacea, and this is not a time to be blooding kids ... we need experienced internationals like the two aforementioned to pull their sodding fingers out of their backsides when called upon.

The bottom line though gentlemen, having seen Saturday's display is this ...

No system in the world, no formation, no manager ... can disguise bad passing.

Grant

Christie Keogh Whitbread Forsyth

Hanson

Bryson Hendrick

Ince Martin Lingard

Or swap out Hanson for Bent

Grant

Christie Keogh Whitbread Forsyth

Bryson Hendrick

Ince Martin Lingard

Bent

​I'd go with the second one, although I'm not fussed whether it be Lingard, Russell, Ward or Dawkins to start as the other winger. Ince is a must start tho. Obviously swap Hendrick or Bryson with Hughes when he comes back after Blackpool!

But we have to realise what creates the bad passing. Yes it can come from lack of form, confidence and so on, but it also comes from playing in unusal positions in a way we dont usually play. Warnock was rubbish as well, so then I guess we can play with no left back. At least Forsyth has shown he can be a good left back for us.

I know it is not the right time to blood youngsters, but thats what we have got for now. It is definitely NOT the right time to move people around and create more uncertainty .

​I dont think Bent and Martin did play well on Saturday, they didnt create a lot. Martin was often draged out wide. We were to narrow, trying ti play through a crowded center. We need width and running to create the space for Henrick and Bryson to play in their best position.

It will be interesting to see what team McClaren puts out tomorrow.

the Derby way...  correction, the winning way, was more about mentality, attitude and philosophy than it was formations and tactics.

Some times last season, we ended the game with 6 or 7 attacking players on the pitch, playing a 4-2-4 or 4-1-4-1. 

It's not the selection or the formation that's ruined things, it the fact that the mindset has changed. Confidence has gone, the philosophy is less positive and attacking, there's been emphasis on worrying about the oppositiong (created by fans!), and it's all boiled down to players playing with fear.

the Derby way...  correction, the winning way, was more about mentality, attitude and philosophy than it was formations and tactics.

Some times last season, we ended the game with 6 or 7 attacking players on the pitch, playing a 4-2-4 or 4-1-4-1. 

It's not the selection or the formation that's ruined things, it the fact that the mindset has changed. Confidence has gone, the philosophy is less positive and attacking, there's been emphasis on worrying about the oppositiong (created by fans!), and it's all boiled down to players playing with fear.

Agree entirely and thanks to all the booers for completely ruining the season.

when I read the title I thought we was going to dig up the pitch in front of each goal and make it into a mud pit, like circa 1970's

​Then get the fire department down to flood the pitch for the mysterious rainstorm that was only over Pride Park and nowhere else...

Irrespective of the formation and personnel we need an early goal, get the fans back on side and the confidence flowing.

Hanson for me is not the answer, based on his two performances if his name was Omar and on loan, there would be countless threads saying he would never play for Derby again etc etc...

Not knocking the lad as he has time and ability on his side, but for me he was not comfortable enough on the ball.

should he picked, I hope he goes to prove me wrong on not being ready yet.

Irrespective of the formation and personnel we need an early goal, get the fans back on side and the confidence flowing.

Hanson for me is not the answer, based on his two performances if his name was Omar and on loan, there would be countless threads saying he would never play for Derby again etc etc...

Not knocking the lad as he has time and ability on his side, but for me he was not comfortable enough on the ball.

should he picked, I hope he goes to prove me wrong on not being ready yet.

​early goals are key. Or at least not being behind at half time. We haven't come from behind at half time all season to win the game.

​early goals are key. Or at least not being behind at half time. We haven't come from behind at half time all season to win the game.

That's pretty poor to be honest, wonder how many points we got last season from the same position.  

That's pretty poor to be honest, wonder how many points we got last season from the same position.  

​Blackpool at home

Yeovil at home

But what we didnt do last season which we have done this is give away points from winning positions.

Heres the net gains and losses from winning and losing positions at half time - or just after

Points Dropped  Points Gained 

Ipswich Home

Forest away1
Wigan Home3 Cardiff Home1
Brentford Away3 Bournemouth Away1
Norwich Home2 Rotherham Away1
Forest home3 Norwich Away1
Birmingham Home2 Brentford Home1
Watford home2   

If we could have held on to those results where we were winning  - especially at home - wed be looking up rather than down.

14 dropped at home from winning positions - now that is a shocking state of afairs

Archived