Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

40 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Think Joshua is less dangerous to Fury than before. 

When he was a bit more reckless you felt he could hurt anyone and in a brawl he might hurt Fury. 

That Ruiz shot could've dropped anyone. It was a shot where Joshua was caught upright, smaller man under him swinging over the top, hit across top of the head and scrambled. 

Instead of thinking that he should become Ali he should just learn not to let smaller men get under your chin. Povetkin and Takam had similar success. 

Adopting his whole style to be a more defensive agile boxer.... Fury will box his way right through that. You don't beat Fury by fighting like Fury. Klitschko couldn't do it. I doubt Usyk would/could do it. Certainly not AJ. His best chance would be to make it a street fight. Wilder showed you that Fury can be hit by even the most basic boxer. Anyone who tries to outbox him will lose including Usyk I think (size will be the difference there)

The thing is Fury took Wilders best shots and still got up and outboxed and ragged him about, Fury needs to get back to fighting credible opponents though I get that he’s making a fortune fighting an MMA fighter but boxing needs the best fighting each other, unfortunately politics often dictates these fights rarely happen. It was great to watch Crawford v Spence last month and that’s how you prove your greatness 

10 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

The thing is Fury took Wilders best shots and still got up and outboxed and ragged him about, Fury needs to get back to fighting credible opponents though I get that he’s making a fortune fighting an MMA fighter but boxing needs the best fighting each other, unfortunately politics often dictates these fights rarely happen. It was great to watch Crawford v Spence last month and that’s how you prove your greatness 

And thats why these you tuber fights are so popular, i think they fill the void! Inoue fight was good too, and tank v garcia! 

The problem boxing has is getting the big fights for the casual fans!

Edited by De22Ram

Why does everyone assume Wilder will knock out AJ if he boxes him? The logic isn’t there.

In a shootout he is far more likely to get knocked out. Similar to Ruiz when he took one to the temple.

Would you say Wilder knocks out Usyk if Usyk tries to box him? Answer is no.

Also AJ has only been on the deck in two fights in his career. Ruiz when he was hit on the temple because he was reckless and Wlad when he was also in a shootout and was gassing.

In every other fight he has either been able to take shots, like Dillian Whyte’s left hook, or he isn’t being hit.

Just because Wilder can punch doesn’t mean he will. The guy has literally never fought another top 10 fighter bar Fury. AJ can beat him by boxing and finding the right hand.

15 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why does everyone assume Wilder will knock out AJ if he boxes him? The logic isn’t there.

In a shootout he is far more likely to get knocked out. Similar to Ruiz when he took one to the temple.

Also AJ has only been on the deck in two fights in his career. Ruiz when he was hit on the temple because he was reckless and Wlad when he was also in a shootout and was gassing.

In every other fight he has either been able to take shots, like Dillian Whyte’s left hook, or he isn’t being hit.

Just because Wilder can punch doesn’t mean he will. The guy has literally never fought another top 10 fighter bar Fury. AJ can beat him by boxing and finding the right hand.

Wilder managed to tag Fury regularly and Fury is a far better boxer than AJ 

i feel that if AJ wants to beat Wilder he’s got to be more aggressive than he was against Helenius if he fights to passively he’ll eventually get tagged by Wilder, that does not mean he’s got to be reckless. As for gassing out against klitchko he was knocked down in the 6th he shouldn’t be gassing out that early in a fight.

For what it’s worth I think Fury and Usyk are on a different level to all the other heavyweights 

48 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

Wilder managed to tag Fury regularly and Fury is a far better boxer than AJ 

i feel that if AJ wants to beat Wilder he’s got to be more aggressive than he was against Helenius if he fights to passively he’ll eventually get tagged by Wilder, that does not mean he’s got to be reckless. As for gassing out against klitchko he was knocked down in the 6th he shouldn’t be gassing out that early in a fight.

For what it’s worth I think Fury and Usyk are on a different level to all the other heavyweights 

I think AJ can hurt Wilder without being too aggressive. Wilder is a huge puncher so always has a chance. But if you look at his resume, he hasn’t beaten anyone of note and AJ is a better boxer than anyone he has faced (excluding Fury).

I think Andy Ruiz would beat Wilder. I think Usyk would school him. 

Hopefully the fight gets made. Either way, I think some people are going to eat humble pie after.

23 hours ago, Alpha said:

Yeah that was funny. Should give Helenius some confidence really. 

I liked it. Normally I hate all the fakery, but AJ looked properly malevolent and Helenius wisely thought better than responding to AJ's offer to 'have it right here if you want'. That's the AJ I want to see. Aggressive, bullying, nasty. He's seemed so out of sorts for a fair old while now, but this was a return to the snarling bad man persona and a welcome one for me. 

15 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

AJ didn’t break him down tonight he took him out with one shot after 6 pretty boring rounds where the Finn didn’t look in any trouble 

It's not a compelling argument that the Finn 'looked in no trouble' when he finished the fight unconscious! 😂 AJ wasn't explosive, but it's noticeable how much tighter his defence is now and thankfully he's finally started tucking his chin in when throwing bombs too.

He's not a natural born boxer and never will be but as long as he doesn't get tagged, his power always gives him a chance of ending any fight in a hurry. He really does need to start doubling up his shots though, but I think AJ himself knows he's pretty chinny and in the final analysis, this was a fairly routine KO for a fighter who never looked in any sort of trouble. I'd still like to see him on his toes more and despite his improved defence, he could still do with more head movement.

Wilder is a very different proposition though and I sense AJ is already adopting a style designed to limit the threat of Wilder's right hand. I suspect his team will be a deal more pleased today than some of the fans, who seemed to think this was a poor performance. I find that stance hard to countenance tbh.

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

I liked it. Normally I hate all the fakery, but AJ looked properly malevolent and Helenius wisely thought better than responding to AJ's offer to 'have it right here if you want'. That's the AJ I want to see. Aggressive, bullying, nasty. He's seemed so out of sorts for a fair old while now, but this was a return to the snarling bad man persona and a welcome one for me. 

It's not a compelling argument that the Finn 'looked in no trouble' when he finished the fight unconscious! 😂 AJ wasn't explosive, but it's noticeable how much tighter his defence is now and thankfully he's finally started tucking his chin in when throwing bombs too.

He's not a natural born boxer and never will be but as long as he doesn't get tagged, his power always gives him a chance of ending any fight in a hurry. He really does need to start doubling up his shots though, but I think AJ himself knows he's pretty chinny and in the final analysis, this was a fairly routine KO for a fighter who never looked in any sort of trouble. I'd still like to see him on his toes more and despite his improved defence, he could still do with more head movement.

Wilder is a very different proposition though and I sense AJ is already adopting a style designed to limit the threat of Wilder's right hand. I suspect his team will be a deal more pleased today than some of the fans, who seemed to think this was a poor performance. I find that stance hard to countenance tbh.

I said the Finn didn’t look in trouble in the first 6 rounds which having watched the fight I stand by. AJ as always got a chance of knocking somebody out he can punch, he was never going to get beat by a journeyman last night I would’ve liked to have seen him throw more combinations. He’s got to find the right balance between defence and attack to beat the huge punching but technically poor Wilder 

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Disagree, Wilder will knock him out in the first 3 rounds. Who of note has Joshua beaten other than Klishko?

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Disagree, Wilder will knock him out in the first 3 rounds. Who of note has Joshua beaten other than Klishko?

Klitschko, White, Ruiz, Povetkin and Parker are all better fighters than anything Wilder has faced (Fury exception).

Honestly Wilder’s resume is garbage. His best win is beating a 50-year-old Luis Ortiz. He hasn’t faced anyone in the top 10-15. AJ would have knocked out all of his opponents. 

6 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

I said the Finn didn’t look in trouble in the first 6 rounds which having watched the fight I stand by. AJ as always got a chance of knocking somebody out he can punch, he was never going to get beat by a journeyman last night I would’ve liked to have seen him throw more combinations. He’s got to find the right balance between defence and attack to beat the huge punching but technically poor Wilder 

Yep and I've said it's irrelevant how 'comfortable' a man looks before he gets punched in the face. They don't judge fights on six rounds, after all and I stand by that too.

One thing we can agree on is that AJ has gone single shot and again I'll restate my hunch that he is already being trained to meet Wilder. He won't be hanging around in front of the American, that's for sure, because that fight would only end one way. Neither is technical, let's be honest and while both can bang, one can bang a deal harder.

46 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Yep and I've said it's irrelevant how 'comfortable' a man looks before he gets punched in the face. They don't judge fights on six rounds, after all and I stand by that too.

One thing we can agree on is that AJ has gone single shot and again I'll restate my hunch that he is already being trained to meet Wilder. He won't be hanging around in front of the American, that's for sure, because that fight would only end one way. Neither is technical, let's be honest and while both can bang, one can bang a deal harder.

I agree it is irrelevant how comfortable you are if you get knocked out but I was replying to a poster who said AJ broke Helenius down in my opinion he didn’t he knocked him out with one punch after 6 pretty uneventful rounds.

AJ may already have been preparing for Wilder but I presume most of his training camp was geared to facing Whyte a late change of opponent is always difficult. I agree with you that if AJ tries to have a slugfest with Wilder he’s the one more than likely to lose

1 hour ago, Henrycav81 said:

I agree it is irrelevant how comfortable you are if you get knocked out but I was replying to a poster who said AJ broke Helenius down in my opinion he didn’t he knocked him out with one punch after 6 pretty uneventful rounds.

Ah, apologies mate. Out of context, I mistook your point. Twice! 🫢

Yeah, I think it was very much a safety first type approach and not a great watch. For clarity, I think AJ is a top fighter, but in a thin and stagnant division. Usyk exposed him from a technical standpoint (as would Fury if he had the stones to fight him) and a party-animal confirmed doubts about his chin.

Sadly, it's likely he'll never scale the heights he might have, but he's not ducked fights like some and he's pretty exciting when he does let his hands go. My sense of it is that AJ needed to focus more on his fight skills and less on dead and bench lift targets. Strong is good, strong and elusive is better! 

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Klitschko, White, Ruiz, Povetkin and Parker are all better fighters than anything Wilder has faced (Fury exception).

Honestly Wilder’s resume is garbage. His best win is beating a 50-year-old Luis Ortiz. He hasn’t faced anyone in the top 10-15. AJ would have knocked out all of his opponents. 

Small sportsman’s bet, my 5p is on Wilder….

11 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

He faced Whyte when Whyte was a big threat to him. 

Klitschko

Parker had the belts and at the time was undefeated. It was a tricky fight to take on

Povetkin was a very very good fighter

Ruiz rematch was big risk

Usyk was a big risk. 

He signed to fight Fury before Fury was ordered to fight Wilder. 

I don't think AJ looks for an easy route. The only fights out there that are left are Wilder and Fury. One openly admitted to rejecting a big offer and the other had to back out

20 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Wilder will only need to land once to get rid of Joshua. I'm not sure the current version of Joshua would get up in the way Fury did, or in the way Joshua himself did against Klitschko.