Carl Cope incident

Cisse

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shocking case indeed but it's strange that they don't report on any defence argument, other than saying he admitted the charge. Presumably Geary must have given some explanation as to why he didn't attend the patient?

I suspect that he thought he was falling down drunk & maybe he was. He did leave A&E "to get a drink". Not that it would excuse his lack of action, of course, but it's very poorly reported to not give any detail at all on the defence case. 

Excuse my ignorance, what law was he convicted under?

I read the article,and they tried to get him for manslaughter.

I know if a similar situation happened in the States,the accused Paramedic would be tried under a few different laws,mainly he neglected his duty to help someone who needed help and manslaughter.

To me a paramedic should be same as Doctor in regards to the Hippocratic Oath.Regardless if this guy believed Cope was in dire straits or not, he should of as a paramedic and damn human being,tried to help him.

Just a worthless individual imo.

Excuse my ignorance, what law was he convicted under?

Health and Safety at Work Act.  He, as a qualified health care professional, is bound to give assistance to any colleague, guest or visitor that is in attendance of his place of work, where he is capable of assisting (sic).

So even if Carl was drunk, he still should have made sure he was safe.

they couldn't get him for manslaughter because there was an element of doubt in the fact that he'd had a heart attack and might've died anyway.

Bizarre to rule out manslaughter on the grounds that the victim could possibly die anyway, yet still the laws on euthanasia contradict that theory.

Anyway the paramedic knew Mr. Cope was nearly 50, had chest pains and had a history of heart problems.

And he did nothing at all. They should glue his damn hands to those pockets he had them in while a human being died in front of his eyes.

they couldn't get him for manslaughter because there was an element of doubt in the fact that he'd had a heart attack and might've died anyway.

Bizarre to rule out manslaughter on the grounds that the victim could possibly die anyway, yet still the laws on euthanasia contradict that theory.

A different cause of death would have to be involved for euthanasia to have occured, being in a euthanasia clinic and dying of your original condition would not be illegal.

Geary did believe that Cope was just drunk, apparently.

Also, from the Independent:

Offering mitigation on Geary's behalf, defence barrister Brian Dean said: "He went out to work a man of good character, doing an honest and worthwhile job in the caring industry.

"But he got it wrong, he misjudged the situation with Mr Cope.

"He made a series of bad decisions over the course of those few minutes, out of an exemplary career that lasted almost a decade."

Claiming that Geary had been "left to carry the can" for other workers' inaction, Mr Dean added: "Although he made errors, he was the one who went to help Mr Cope.

"If he had stayed in the ambulance, like all the others, he would not have been prosecuted."

That last sentence is truly scary. How many "others" didn't even bother getting out of the ambulances to have a look?

It does make me wonder if it's really worse to go over and have a look - but do nothing to help, or not to even bother going to have a look?

Obviously the "others" weren't prosecuted but surely they should be hauled before the disciplinary panel or something.

I've taken an interest in this because my best mate is a paramedic. I'm looking forward to catching up with him over the weekend to get his take on all this.

Shocking case indeed but it's strange that they don't report on any defence argument, other than saying he admitted the charge. Presumably Geary must have given some explanation as to why he didn't attend the patient?

I suspect that he thought he was falling down drunk & maybe he was. He did leave A&E "to get a drink". Not that it would excuse his lack of action, of course, but it's very poorly reported to not give any detail at all on the defence case. 

This would require the daily mail adding some additional facts to balance the story. Balanced stories are not something that fits too well with their sensationalist right wing agenda.

Archived