Join the Derbyshire Photo-shoot before the game for the

Woodypecker

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem in showing my displeasure at the way Qatar received the hosting of the World Cup but the other issues have nothing to do with football in my opinion.

I would like to see some concrete evidence that these 1,200 deaths are directly attributable to the building of football stadiums, from the little research I have done, many are caused by living in squalid conditions...how is that anything to do with football?

I have no problem in showing my displeasure at the way Qatar received the hosting of the World Cup but the other issues have nothing to do with football in my opinion.

I would like to see some concrete evidence that these 1,200 deaths are directly attributable to the building of football stadiums, from the little research I have done, many are caused by living in squalid conditions...how is that anything to do with football?

Very few of the reported deaths are contractors directly employed in the building of stadia, FIFA keep a hawkish eye on that.

However, the supporting infrastructure needed to host a world cup, such as roads, hotels and utilities fall outside FIFA's watch, this is where the death, Slavery and despicable treatment of migrant workers occur, multiple sources if you wish to find them, Newsnight, Private Eye etc.

Very few of the reported deaths are contractors directly employed in the building of stadia, FIFA keep a hawkish eye on that.

However, the supporting infrastructure needed to host a world cup, such as roads, hotels and utilities fall outside FIFA's watch, this is where the death, Slavery and despicable treatment of migrant workers occur, multiple sources if you wish to find them, Newsnight, Private Eye etc.

If it is slavery then it is a much more important issue that football. I would suggest campaigning outside Downing Street or The Houses Of Parliament rather than The iPro Stadium

If it is slavery then it is a much more important issue that football. I would suggest campaigning outside Downing Street or The Houses Of Parliament rather than The iPro Stadium

I think you're missing the point that this is all happening in preparation for a major footballing tournament, when you say this has nothing to do with football. 

No thanks, my last 3 trips down there were Wembley, Charlton and Brentford, made a vow never to to venture further south than Watford, till we go up at least!

The WC in Qatar is a sham first and foremost, no one can argue that I would think.Should never had gotten it in the first place,but as always $ plays a big part in those types of decisions.

The people who have died during this time is a horrible thing to contemplate,and regardless of perhaps more have died due to the squalor of the country itself rather than the construction of stadiums,parking areas,etc still the aspect of the WC has not helped.From my perspective and articles I have read,the leaders of Qatar do not care about these numbers as much as they should.Sadly,not wholly surprising in that regard.

Qatar also is a place where homosexuality is illegal and that is just another reason why they should never have gotten the bid.

If I went to the game tomorrow,I would take part no question.For those who do not agree with it being part of the game,fair play to you.Everyone has difference of opinions.

Cheers reveldevil and Troy.

Of course the scale and detail of the failings and causes of death can't be satisfactorily disclosed on such as the FSF website - the infrastructure worker casualties and squalid conditions are accounting for most losses.

Why should so many of the workers pay the ultimate price? It's supposed to be 'the beautiful game', which we all love and want to see celebrated, not denigrated by the Qatar debacle.

As for having nothing to do with the Derbyshire 'derby' or (by extension), us typical fans - I guess the same must apply to such as safe Standing, or Twenty's Plenty (low ticket pricing) or other campaigns that bring an atmosphere for change? 

Though we planned this photoshoot a while back, seems that the it also can't do much harm to help repair the tarnished reputation of we fans and DCFC after last week's events.

Enjoy the game; hope to see a few there beforehand, too.

If football fans around the world

all did it at their stadiums, maybe the message would get through? Doubt it, but a few seconds of people's time couldn't hurt, surely.

Start campaigning for one political issue and then where does it end?

Saturday afternoons for me are about a few beers and getting away from the real world for a couple of hours!

Cheers reveldevil and Troy.

Of course the scale and detail of the failings and causes of death can't be satisfactorily disclosed on such as the FSF website - the infrastructure worker casualties and squalid conditions are accounting for most losses.

Why should so many of the workers pay the ultimate price? It's supposed to be 'the beautiful game', which we all love and want to see celebrated, not denigrated by the Qatar debacle.

As for having nothing to do with the Derbyshire 'derby' or (by extension), us typical fans - I guess the same must apply to such as safe Standing, or Twenty's Plenty (low ticket pricing) or other campaigns that bring an atmosphere for change? 

Though we planned this photoshoot a while back, seems that the it also can't do much harm to help repair the tarnished reputation of we fans and DCFC after last week's events.

Enjoy the game; hope to see a few there beforehand, too.

Sorry if I came across the wrong way, I am in no way saying it is acceptable but on the other hand nobody is forcing these people to leave their country to go to Qatar to work. If they are then as I said it is slavery and should be being sorted at a much higher level than outside a football ground.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you hope to achieve tomorrow.

Start campaigning for one political issue and then where does it end?

Saturday afternoons for me are about a few beers and getting away from the real world for a couple of hours!

Me too, but if you're around, say in the fan park, 5 mins of time won't hurt anyone, and probably won't make any difference, but no harm in trying is there?

Archived