Derby County v Notts Forest

Gritstone Ram

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better to beat a promotion rival last week and lose to a team fighting relegation this week.

Not really cause we've dropped 3 points that all promotion challengers will consider guaranteed. We've basically undone all our hard work vs Ipswich.

I don't doubt Mascarells skill and (sometime) distribution.

It's not that he's not Eustace, it's just that he's not the defensive block that our team needs to flourish.

Our Midfield and wings need the confidence to kick on and he doesn't give us that.

Credit to Forest for turning that around.

Mascarell should play as a cm instead of Hendrick/ Bryson when Thorne come back.

I don't doubt Mascarells skill and (sometime) distribution.

It's not that he's not Eustace, it's just that he's not the defensive block that our team needs to flourish.

Our Midfield and wings need the confidence to kick on and he doesn't give us that.

Credit to Forest for turning that around.

This. Mascarell just is not a DM. Not in the way we like to play. This, coupled with Bryson and Hendrick nowhere near the ball and not giving us an option to pass was what did us in.

I don't think Masc was that bad. He won plenty of headers back there, tackled reasonably well nd looked for the most part quite composed in possession.

I just don't think he's a particularly good player without the ball though. Making himself available, positioning, getting across, covering ground etc. Are all areas which are sadly missing and theese are key for a defensive midfielder.

We lost the game in midfield.

The moment Hughes went off, the game massively swung in their favour. 

If you seriously think that they are good enough then you need a reality check. If we cannot beat a **** team like Forest we don't deserve to get promoted

It would've been easier to take seriously if you hadn't included Martin. Still would've been ridiculous but somewhat less so.

As we said, far rather win last week and lost today. Got to look at the bigger picture.

At the back we were unsettled and bullied by the twin beasts of Assombalonga and Antonio. It shows the need for Raul and I think will allow the management to bring him straight in. The uncertainty they spread in our defence was our undoing.

We ended up outnumbered in midfield. Obviously losing Will was a massive blow. We lost it the whole second half. The bench was wrong - we almost never have two defenders but there were both Naylor and Shotton on there today when we needed Coutts to match up and go 4-4-2. Had we had two midfielders on the bench Hughes wouldn't have had to play the whole first half injured.

Grant 4.5 Worst performance since Eric Steele has settled in and should have saved both goals.

Christie 6 Pretty solid

Forsyth 6 Pretty solid

Bucko 5 Exposed to a degree and cannot afford the holding in the area

Keogh 5.5 Off his feet again for their first goal. Needed to clam the defence but failed.

Mascarell 5.5 Not the answer. Do we persist with him until Thorne is fit? I really hope we're not rushing Thorne back. Needless silly fouls and too many floated hospital balls. Set pieces didn't quite cut it.

Hughes 6 Played most of the first half on one leg. Shame he didn't score when shooting from distance - disappointed he went to blast it rather than curl it neatly into the top corner for the 3 points.

Bryson 5.5 Started brightly but lost his way.

Russell 6.5 Started brightly but didn't quite fall for him and the final ball was lacking

Ward 6.5 Needless booking.Frequestly looked a threat. Obviously tired as things went on.

Martin 7 Led the line really well. Bought foul after foul. Set up Bryson very well early on. Disappointed he didn't take his two half chances.

Subs:

Hendrick 6 Tried to be composed but didn't make much impression.

Bent Not enough time to mark

Hughes , Russell and Ward are the only ones who played decent today

What?

Martin was decent when he got the ball, rarely lost it and won countless freekicks when he had no right to. He could do nothing about that second half.

And Forsyth was for the most part very good. Antonio won nothing from him all game and he made a number of vital interceptions.

He was utterly faultless for both goals too.

We looked very comfortable in the first half and deserved to be further ahead. When Hughes went off, we came back totally unrecognisable. No fight, no sprit, no enthusiasm.

Don't know what Macca said to them at half time

But hope he never says it again.

We always seem to concede when we are about to make a substitution..!! Needless free kick and then Keogh falls over with his normal falling over clearance..  Again go joint top and slip up, other teams must love it watching that very poor performance, and shows how strong Hughes is..

Lets see the team for Chesterfield it might look a bit different.. Roos, Christie, Raul, Shotton, Warnock...

I've been at work so I only caught the last hour of the stream so I'm not sure how we played in the first 30 minutes.

But on what I did see, it was bitterly disappointing. 

Forest thoroughly deserved to win. We had the good fortune of the referee overlooking the penalty claim. Watching the replay, I'm still not sure how Buxton got away with the foul. Similarly we had more good fortune with the own goal. It's a good delivery and it's difficult to deal with but we were fortunate there. From then on, you would hope we would have taken the game by the scruff of the neck but infact, we never pushed on.

The loss of Hughes was massive. I think it goes to show just integral Hughes is in getting us to tick and play football as we couldn't get a grip in midfield when he went off. From then on, we didn't get a sniff and we never settled into any kind of rhythm or ever seemed intent on taking the game away from Forest, whereas Forest grew into the game and Pearce obviously gave them a lift at half-time. It wasn't as though they were particularly fluent but they battled, they scrapped, they showed the kind of fire we were sadly missing and they made it the kind of ugly game that we tend not to thrive in.

Forest were able to build up pressure for a good 15-20 minutes before the equaliser and we didn't have an answer for it - there was no reaction, no adjustment tactically or personnel-wise, which was a bit alarming really. You could see a goal coming and once it came, the writing was on the wall. It's disappointing that we didn't show enough desire, urgency or adaptability. 

I get the feeling complacency crept in, especially after last season's result and given that Forest were on a dire run prior to this game, I think perhaps maybe some of the players felt all they had to do was turn up and it would go our way no matter how we performed.

People will bemoan the absence of Eustace and use this as a stick to beat Mascarell with because he made some critical errors but the whole team disappointed today.

It's just one result, one bad performance. Of course, it hurts that it came against our biggest rivals. But hopefully we can put it behind us fairly quickly with the games coming thick and fast.

Let's put it into perspective, we might have surrendered the initiative but with 20 games to go, we are still very much in the hunt for automatic promotion, but it's definitely a shame that after beating Ipswich, we didn't build on it today.

What?

Martin was decent when he got the ball, rarely lost it and won countless freekicks when he had no right to. He could do nothing about that second half.

And Forsyth was for the most part very good. Antonio won nothing from him all game and he made a number of vital interceptions.

He was utterly faultless for both goals too.

Were you at the game? Everyone around me agrees that Martin should be dropled. Ward and Russell had to work their socks off because Martin wasn't doing his bit

Archived