Is Best being give more chances than he deserves?

climbon

I agree with you that Bamford is a special type of player, I also agree with you that Ibe is a better winger than Bamford but I didn't understand why he was being played as a winger. Perhaps Bamford should have been seen as a back up to Chris Martin but I appreciate Sammon played the role as back up striker so I'd made sense to play him on the wing.

If it makes sense the Bamford sized hole in the team (As a back up striker, not as an uncomfortable winger) shouldn't have been filled by Best. I see Ibe as more as strengthening the Wing positions rather than a successor to Bamford

I agree in that, Best so far has been far from exceptional. we have to remember however, that he probably isn't match fit yet and therefore isn't ''in-form''. Hopefully we will see better performances from him as the season wares on and he gets more gametime under his belt.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trouble is a digger like Bamford leaves a massive hole and if you can't afford one you have to shovel!

We have a decent selection of strikers and I really can't see glaring weaknesses.

Butland has a great future as a goalie and we got a good stand in for Grant who is ultra reliable in an unspectacular way. Exactly what Gordon Banks says makes the best goalkeepers. This gives the defence confidence.

I am sorry if being in the top one after 14 games is below some supporters expectations but I ain't complaining.

Maybe we won't win the Mickey Mouse Cup but automatic promotion is a nice, and a realistic, prospect.

In Mac we trust!

The problem with Best is that, as a backup striker and a "plan b", his job is to come on reasonably late in games and give us another option to try and stretch defenders. With the exception of bundling the loose ball home at Forest after Shotton had scored, has he really offered any goal threat in his appearances so far?

I appreciate that he's short on confidence at the moment and I'd love to be proven wrong and see him come good, but right now I'm not convinced that Leon offers us any more than Kwame Thomas or Mason Bennett would do.

I think there is no harder, or harsher, role than being a substitute striker. It's hard to say what Best's levels are, he looks jaded and nowhere near matchfit for me - it's not exactly unexpected for a striker that hasn't played much football. 

When we first signed Martin - on loan - he was nothing like he is now. It is so hard to say. 

Right we know Best is struggling for form the question has always is if we were to replace him lets have some suggestions who with, because at the moment I fail to see a viable and available alternative.

That is assuming we are talking about another player from outside the club.

I don't think he gets brought on for the reason of scoring goals (Even thoe that is his job!) It's more to add height and strength to the attack. Calero or no one else on the nech whill add that...

Hense when we're losing we bring him on for the extra head up front and some one to aim at? That was my guess any way.

He looked okay at first when he was coming on to play on the wing, but then Ibe came and we had 4 wingers so now he is expected to deputise for Martin and he just isn't the same kind of player. Strong and powerful but that doesn't necessarily mean he can hold the ball up and dictate the play. He is the kind of player that wants to be in the box to apply the finish. He's being asked to do something he hasn't done before, give him time.

I like him and I do think it will only take one or two goals to take him back to the player he was at Newcastle before his injury. 

I think the melodrama surrounding him shows just how spoilt we were last season. He has ability, in his earlier appearances you could see that but not getting an early goal has clearly knocked his confidence. 

I don't understand this 'his body language' ****** cos I think he always works hard for the team when he comes on. 

Archived