Slower Virgin Broadband

Phoenix

Having just 'upgraded' from 60 Mbps to 152 Mbps, I find that my desktop computer is showing speeds less than before the upgrade.

Previously, via a wired ethernet connection, I was registering >60 Mbps. It now struggles to make 40Mbps, using speedtest.net. The wireless connection runs at about 50Mbps

Oddly, my laplop will reach >56Mbps wirelessly, and >160 Mbps wired.

I've had the engineer out who is at a loss.

Any one any ideas why my desktop computer should have slowed? It's configured exactly as before.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You tried d.cing the power from the Hub for around 5 minutes? Resets I.P etc always works for me.

Tried all that stuff. I think the problem may be with the Ethernet card, which, I understand will be 10/100. Whilst this is theoretically capable of handling 'up to 100 Mbps', It struggles with much more than 60. The answer may be an Ethernet 10/100/1000 card, aka a gigabit card. Oooer, missus! I can only assume my more recent, better spec'd Sony Vaio laptop already has one.

Just hope they're a standard fit. Anyone being offered the forthcoming 'upgrade' should perhaps bear this in mind.

It's rather geeky, but here's a really useful and informative article I found about it.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-120Mb-Setup-Equipment/How-I-solved-my-speed-problems-after-a-50-to-100Mbps-upgrade/td-p/1249495

Tried all that stuff. I think the problem may be with the Ethernet card, which, I understand will be 10/100. Whilst this is theoretically capable of handling 'up to 100 Mbps', It struggles with much more than 60. The answer may be an Ethernet 10/100/1000 card, aka a gigabit card. Oooer, missus! I can only assume my more recent, better spec'd Sony Vaio laptop already has one.

Just hope they're a standard fit. Anyone being offered the forthcoming 'upgrade' should perhaps bear this in mind.

It's rather geeky, but here's a really useful and informative article I found about it.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-120Mb-Setup-Equipment/How-I-solved-my-speed-problems-after-a-50-to-100Mbps-upgrade/td-p/1249495

No such thing as a standard fit, just check the slot/port type and order appropriately.

Set the adapter to use 100 Mbps instead of auto. It might be renegotiating the speed constantly. If it works great, if not put it back and pretend that you never did anything.

Set the adapter to use 100 Mbps instead of auto. It might be renegotiating the speed constantly. If it works great, if not put it back and pretend that you never did anything.

Thanks for the suggestion. No joy there sadly. I've decided to experiment with a 'StarTech USB 2.0 300Mbps Mini Wireless Network Adapter' for

Archived