Away form

AmericanRam

Our away form so far this regular season including league cup vs Carlisle is: W,D,L,D,W,W which is a very reasonable point return imo.At times we have played more fluid on the road also imo.

Is this simply down to when teams come to the iPro they sit back and it has been hard for us to break them down,whereas away they do not do so as much?

I think it is a little of both.Away matches are supposedly harder than home ones,but I think we have been relaxed for the most part and have got some good points out of our away fixtures.

If we want to get promoted,we have to do pretty well imo with away matches and not drop points and we need to continue to do so in that regard.

I also know from my experience playing sports that it takes a certain mentality to be successful playing away from home and I think our squad has that.Nervous about Reading,but think we can nick it.

Thoughts?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it will take two points a game on average to get promotion, that is 92 points. It makes no difference how we get them. It basically means win the home games and draw the away games. For every home draw we need an away win to maintain that target. in addition the biggest factor is do not lose to your rivals If we had beaten Burnley away last season we would have been six points closer to them. Once we lost that game we were unable to bridge the gap. Shotton's goal against the saplings meant that instead of being eight points adrift we remained at five points adrift. If the fans had not invaded the pitch we may have won and only been two points adrift. Such matches decide promotion places. Drawing against Millwall is not the end of the world. with the benefit of hindsight would playing for  a draw at Burnley have been the best way forward? Do we have an Alamo performance when we know that we are not clicking. Ask Chelsea, they know which games that they cannot lose. There is a place for locking key rivals out of the game away from home and hopefully beating them at home. We need at lease a draw away at Ipswich and to beat Charlton at home. We need to beat the saplings at home then no damage is done. With 20 points from 11 matches we are two points adrift of automatic promotion schedule. makes no difference watching other teams point totals, we need 92 points. we area head of last season when we got 85 points and we are still improving. .I think that we will need three or four Alamo performances away from home where a draw will do the trick. Shotton and Whitbread as extra defenders may be needed. .Steve McClaren always talks about performances but it is the points total, no matter how achieved, that gets promotion even if there are a few ugly performances in the 46 played.

I think the two best performances of the season so far came away from home (Blackburn and Bolton) but in other games we struggled (Sheff Wed and Forest).

I think if we can average 1.5 points away from home it would be a very good return for the season.

Totally disagree with the struggled at F****t bit, if Bucko had stayed on we would have won IMHO .

Like I mentioned in another thread....

Think we will do better away this season.

Reason? Teams won't park the bus at home. They have to come out at us.

Archived