An Interesting Statistic...

Chris Mills

I noticed during the Reading game yesterday that in all our home games we seem to be struggling between the 50-60minute mark, so I though I would look it up.

From our home games:

Vs Fulham

Parker 54'

Vs Ipwich

Berra 52?

Vs Cardiff

Gunnarsson 51? Whittingham 55?

Interesting to see that all the goals we have conceeded at home have come between this mark and once again we had to ride out the storm during the 10 minutes yesterday. Not sure if this was the case at Rotherham or Charlton as I dont remember, can anyone remember if we were pressured then?

Why do you think it is? There must be something contributing to our poor performance during this stage.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's more coincidence. I can't help but feel the goals against us have literally come out of nowhere this season. Fulham, Cardiff and Ipswich all scored from a set-piece during those 10-15 minutes after HT and sometimes some goals are hard to avoid.

I think one of the most alarming statistics is the fact in our eight games so far this season, we've only found the net first on three occassions.

I think it's probably just the pattern of the games we've played this season. We often dominate the first half but fail to make it really count, which gives the opposition manager good scope for a rousing team talk "you're still in this, we can hit them on the break, etc".

Bris raises the point about set pieces; I'd really like us to look at that. We never look like a threat attacking them, and look very, very vulnerable against them. If I were Rush/McClaren I'd potentially be looking for a coach with expertise in the set piece area as it could cost us a lot of points this season.

I think it's probably just the pattern of the games we've played this season. We often dominate the first half but fail to make it really count, which gives the opposition manager good scope for a rousing team talk "you're still in this, we can hit them on the break, etc".

Bris raises the point about set pieces; I'd really like us to look at that. We never look like a threat attacking them, and look very, very vulnerable against them. If I were Rush/McClaren I'd potentially be looking for a coach with expertise in the set piece area as it could cost us a lot of points this season.

But they aren't even hitting us on the break. Between these periods we are often being dominated or at least evens with them, but for the rest of the game we are well on top. 

But they aren't even hitting us on the break. Between these periods we are often being dominated or at least evens with them, but for the rest of the game we are well on top.

True. But coming out after half time, we have lost the momentum that we gained over the course of the first half. Once we build up momentum we dominate games. We don't see the same problem at the start of the first half because teams tend to be much more cautious, but face a couple of good attacks and we often struggle to retain control of the game for a while. And because of the way we play, we're far more likely to face a couple of good attacks at the beginning of the second half.

I think it's more coincidence. I can't help but feel the goals against us have literally come out of nowhere this season. Fulham, Cardiff and Ipswich all scored from a set-piece during those 10-15 minutes after HT and sometimes some goals are hard to avoid.

I think one of the most alarming statistics is the fact in our eight games so far this season, we've only found the net first on three occassions.

The best thing that McClaren has brought to the club is the ability to drag points out of games that appear gone.

So many times this season he's brought on subs and we've got points from out of our arse. It's an incredible quality to have.

I don't think it should be seen as a concern but as a massive strength. They don't know when they're beaten.

Once the team clicks, which it will, there will be some right tonkings dished out.

I think it comes part and parcel with the way the team plays. Barcelona are very dodgy at defending set-pieces too, but there is little they can do about it unless they bring in a load of cloggers.

It really is frightening how many goals Ipswich score from set pieces. Last season in the 4-4 draw they scored from two corners and one free-kick. In the game at Portman Road their winner came from a corner and at the Ipro this season their goal came from another set-piece. 5 set-piece goals out of 7 is ridiculous...

But that's the way Mick McCarthy plays and his team are full of cloggers - same goes for Cardiff under Malky Mackay before.

I'd much rather us play the way we do than sacrifice that for taller players who are good at set pieces. We're not a percentage team, and we will concede at set pieces but we will more than make up for it in other areas. 

Ipswich for instance will never get anywhere playing the way they do in the long run. We have far more potential than them using our style.

But Bris... far too many of our fans are old fashioned and don't really get this. Don't think you're gonna stop the moaning.

What moaning......you moaning bogger.

Archived