Worst song ever?

Rev

I've Never Been to Me by Charlene.

Thread closed.

No way. Just listened it. The lady can sing, a beautifully composed, good lyrics with nice rhymes that actually work unlike in rap music and the song has a message. Pretty controversial song though.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way. Just listened it. The lady can sing, a beautifully composed, good lyrics with nice rhymes that actually work unlike in rap music and the song has a message. Pretty controversial song though.

The lyrics are terrible -

I've been to Nice and the Isle of Greece

I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things that a woman ain't supposed to see

It's that little baby you're holding, it's that man you fought with this morning

The same one you're going to make love with tonight

But I ran out of places and friendly faces because I had to be free

I've been to paradise but I've never been to me

What's the message? Don't aspire - you are a woman and the best you can hope for is a few babies and a husband you argue with.

It's disgusting. It's trite. It's demeaning.

What's so important about rhyme? So much stuff is ruined by either torturing the words to make them rhyme or simply creates the impression of smugness - look at me, I can rhyme.

The song is profundity for the incredibly shallow.

You said it. Black Lace will live on, once your generation has gone Lennon will hardly be played

They don't even play Agadoo on @absolute80's - or even forgotten 80's come to that... As for Lennon, his music's timeless and spans decades, it's always remembered.

They don't even play Agadoo on @absolute80's - or even forgotten 80's come to that... As for Lennon, his music's timeless and spans decades, it's always remembered.

Who listens to absolute 80's? no need for the @ because we're not on Twitter. I put money on it that Agadoo was played more times last weekend up and down the country than Lennon was. 

Who listens to absolute 80's? no need for the @ because we're not on Twitter. I put money on it that Agadoo was played more times last weekend up and down the country than Lennon was.

Do people sit at home listening to that stuff?

A restaurant next to my place of work plays the Beatles on a loop daily from early morning to late at night.

How many agadoos does that account for?

Nobody's going to prove you wrong. But nobody is going to believe you either.

The lyrics are terrible -

I've been to Nice and the Isle of Greece

I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things that a woman ain't supposed to see

It's that little baby you're holding, it's that man you fought with this morning

The same one you're going to make love with tonight

But I ran out of places and friendly faces because I had to be free

I've been to paradise but I've never been to me

What's the message? Don't aspire - you are a woman and the best you can hope for is a few babies and a husband you argue with.

It's disgusting. It's trite. It's demeaning.

What's so important about rhyme? So much stuff is ruined by either torturing the words to make them rhyme or simply creates the impression of smugness - look at me, I can rhyme.

The song is profundity for the incredibly shallow.

Even if you were right- which you are not, the lady can still sing and the melody is lovely. Listen anything by Nicky Minaj and you level drops. A lot.

Even if you were right- which you are not, the lady can still sing and the melody is lovely. Listen anything by Nicky Minaj and you level drops. A lot.

This thread is called 'worst song ever'.

I'm not sure what the singer has got to do with it. 'Be My Baby' is a great song, whether done by the Ronettes or the Ramones.

'I've never been to me' would be misogynistic claptrap whoever sang it.

This thread is called 'worst song ever'.

I'm not sure what the singer has got to do with it. 'Be My Baby' is a great song, whether done by the Ronettes or the Ramones.

'I've never been to me' would be misogynistic claptrap whoever sang it.

Have you heard the Howard Keel's version. Gives it extra depth.

Archived