Punch & Judy promotes domestic violence

Day

A PUNCH and Judy show put on for children at the Intu Derby shopping centre has been criticised for promoting domestic violence.

The show by puppeteer Jon Thursby was staged by the shopping centre as part of a week-long beach event for children.

Vanessa Boon, who is a campaigner for equal rights and against domestic violence, saw the show.

She said: "I was shocked and sickened as I saw Punch hit his wife, Judy, six times with a stick as she lay on the floor and then threw his baby down the stairs while children were encouraged to laugh and sing 'that's the way to do it!'"

Miss Boon said that she spoke to Mr Thursby about her concerns and complained to the shopping centre. She was disappointed to see that the show was still running three days later.

The 34-year-old, of Derby, said: "Domestic abuse is no laughing matter. Puppet shows should be magical memories for families, they shouldn't teach children that domestic violence is funny.

"This story line wouldn't feature in a children's cartoon or family film and I don't want it teaching our children the wrong message in our local shopping centre."

Shopper Julie Brandon said: "I spend much of my time volunteering with organisations supporting people in distress, many of whom experience domestic violence.

"It just seems crazy and backwards to be teaching kids that domestic violence is an acceptable thing, to be laughed at."

Yasmin Nazir, chief executive of Derby Women's Centre, said: "I think it's just shocking, given the awareness we have around domestic violence, that a show of this nature is being played out to such a young audience."

Others posted criticism of the show on Twitter.

Liz Hardwick said: "#dontpunchjudy @intuDerby it's not helping #everdaysexism and violence shouldn't be part of free entertainment for children."

Sally Wallwin wrote: "@intuDerby #dontpunchjudy knitted swimming costumes are traditional but we found a better alternative

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Punch was sausageted by Judy, nowt would be said.

I admire him for fighting off a crocodile. Judy should just thank him for protecting her from that.

And I heard she's let out once a week to Bingo, as long as she's back by 10pm

Has this person never seen Punch and Judy before?

Yes, to read that it's like she'd never come across the concept of Punch and Judy in her life.

If society as a whole decides to ban Punch and Judy, like they banned, quite rightly, Golliwogs, then fair enough, but until then, to single out one guy doing a show is pathetic.

Love the Charles Dickens quote. Funny to think that they must have been having this same debate 150 yrs ago, and he's just turned around and said, 'if you take this seriously, you're an idiot.' Good man.

If they're gonna ban Punch n Judy, then they gotta ban Tom & Jerry which surely promotes cruelty to animals, therefor every child should smack their pets right now with baseball bats and squish them between two fast moving metal plates. And if that doesn't work boys and girls, drop a ton weight on them.

As if.

#worraloadoshite

In other news...

A 34 year old "woman" from Derby was today celebrating a tribunal victory against a former employer. Divorcee Ms Vanessa Boon, who is now a campaigner for equal rights and against domestic abuse, accused her former employer of overtly treating her as a female. Ms Boon said that she knew the employer had stereotypical values when on her first day he called her into his office for a "welcome meeting" and not only did he hold his office door open for her, but also offered her a seat. He is also alleged to have called her "Vanessa" throughout the meeting to further emphasise her gender type. Later in the day Ms Boon had reason to complain that the toilets offered to her were unacceptable as they gave her no choice but to sit down if she wanted to urinate, and she also noted that she was served tea in a fine china cup, whilst her neighbouring male colleague was provided with a mug. It is alleged that at the end of the first day when Ms Boon went to file another complaint that her employer shouted calling her a "Guardian reading, lentil munching Lesbo". Guardian reader Ms Boon was clearly delighted with her tribunal victory, and said that she was going to celebrate at her favourite vegetarian eaterie in Derby together with her civil partner Samantha "Sam" Davies.

Archived