A-Level results

Leicester Ram

Go on then, it's the time of year where we get a topic that Daveo gets to rant about school being crap and a waste of time.

Pretty chuffed with my AS results

A in Drama

B in History (3 marks off an A, being remarked)

B in English

E in Religion and Philosophy, but I'm dropping it so who really gives a ****?

Hopes of doing Ancient History at Manchester still alive.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A2 results

D in English - utter crapola

Merit in ICT - I know! BTECs! **** me that was a waste of time!

B in History, which is basically all I really need to study History at Derby Uni. Not as ambitious as you with your Manchester malarkey  :p Supporting my local Uni  :lol:

Go on then, it's the time of year where we get a topic that Daveo gets to rant about school being crap and a waste of time.

Pretty chuffed with my AS results

A in Drama

B in History (3 marks off an A, being remarked)

B in English

E in Religion and Philosophy, but I'm dropping it so who really gives a ****?

Hopes of doing Ancient History at Manchester still alive.

Can you tell me what career you are looking at after studying ancient history at Uni?

So basically you haven't got a clue what you want to do so picked a random course to toss another few years off to as you're scared to come off the teachers breast and enter the real world?

Least you won't have to pay back your loan for a while as McDonalds don't pay you enough

What functioning society doesn't have its historians Daveo? Human beings are there for more than economic output.

And if you want to look at it in those terms, a first or 2:1 in Ancient History at a decent uni like Manchester (assuming its not the met with those grades LR), with a placement under his belt, and LR is going to have absolutely no trouble getting a very good job with a handsome salary, assuming he doesn't want to carry on with academia.

Ancient History at Manchester is a good course. When people are doing Golf Course Management at the Concrete University of North Derby, you have a point.

Doing a history course doesn't mean you have chosen to be a historian. You've chosen a challenging degree with transferable skills to the real world and if you get a good grade, you've proven you're bright. He's opening doors, not closing them - he can be a lawyer (doing a conversion course rather than straight law makes you more rounded, and you learn more up-to-date stuff), a teacher, accountant, anything which requires a degree....they'll all want him.

Nobody who does History at a Russell Group Uni ends up at MacDonalds. All these stats about people not getting jobs and doing degrees that are a waste of time aren't doing humanities subjects at the top universities, they're doing one of the thousands of money-spinning courses at the lower ones.

I'm doing theology at Uni, it doesn't mean I want to be a vicar. I'm currently on my lunch break at an internship - an internship I wouldn't have without the course I'm on.

Degree in ancient history and go be a brain surgeon or astronaut...

I know someone who works in a bank, she was a hairdresser before and only has GCSE's.

Degrees do not guarantee you jobs...students on here with degrees now working in call centres without calling them out.

My niece got what she wanted to go to Lancaster Uni to study Law.

...but I was handing out the results envelopes this morning for our 6th formers and there weren't many smiles to be seen. Not much disappointment evident either I'm sad to say, just simple acceptance.

My niece got what she wanted to go to Lancaster Uni to study Law.

...but I was handing out the results envelopes this morning for our 6th formers and there weren't many smiles to be seen. Not much disappointment evident either I'm sad to say, just simple acceptance.

Good choice. I'm a Lancaster graduate

It doesn't guarantee you anything, but if you get a good degree at a good uni, no matter what course it is, you've given yourself a massive advantage over everyone else.

I agree University isn't for everyone, and the old system with Pollies would work better. If everyone has a degree, nobody has a degree - it's meant to set you apart. And there are some qualifications which don't need to be called a "degree" to be of value.

A number of mates from school are wasting their own and their parents' time and money by doing some absolute bullsh1te courses and I'm with you on that one, but Ancient History at Manchester? You're picking the wrong fight.

It doesn't guarantee you anything, but if you get a good degree at a good uni, no matter what course it is, you've given yourself a massive advantage over everyone else.

I agree University isn't for everyone, and the old system with Pollies would work better. If everyone has a degree, nobody has a degree - it's meant to set you apart.

A number of mates from school are wasting their own and their parents' time and money by doing some absolute bullsh1te courses and I'm with you on that one, but Ancient History at Manchester? You're picking the wrong fight.

You're still young and brainwashed by the must get degree, any degree mentality.

Give it 10 years and you will be Daveo was right you know, this degree is not opening as many doors as I thought it would.

I'm not against Uni far from it, study law to be a lawyer great, good luck you're doing something to get on your chosen career path.

Ancient history? Give me a break

Archived