Is this the year Pro Evo finally becomes better than FIFA again?

Albert

Keep in mind that most things titled as a question can be simply answered with "no".

Discuss.

The great advantage about such a thread is that the title doesn't need to be changed for PES 16, 17, 18, etc. as the same question will probably be floated there, as it has been since about PES 2008.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind that most things titled as a question can be simply answered with "no".

Discuss.

The great advantage about such a thread is that the title doesn't need to be changed for PES 16, 17, 18, etc. as the same question will probably be floated there, as it has been since about PES 2008.

I'm not really into games now, but back in the old days, when pes first came out, I'm sure I remember all the mags saying it had already surpassed fifa. The only problem was that it didn't have the official fifa licence, so they weren't allowed to use any real names, but the gameplay was always far superior.

I'm not really into games now, but back in the old days, when pes first came out, I'm sure I remember all the mags saying it had already surpassed fifa. The only problem was that it didn't have the official fifa licence, so they weren't allowed to use any real names, but the gameplay was always far superior.

FIFA was pretty good in the 90s, early 2000s, but when PES broke onto the scene, it was good, I mean really good. FIFA felt flat and a bit unresponsive in comparison to what PES was able to do. Their best was around 2, 3 and 5, but PES 6 was still very good. During this time FIFA 2004 was pretty good, not great though, FIFA 2005 was utter rubbish (the freekicks even had a crosshair) and to be honest, I didn't even touch FIFA 06 and 07 to any meaningful extent.

Then came the new generation. FIFA 08 was a step in the right direction for them, PES 2008 was a step in all the wrong directions, and since then PES has just basically soiled itself many times over. I have no idea what happened, maybe EA realised the money making potential in FIFA and have done their homework right to make good games, maybe Konami forgot how to make good games. Whatever happened though PES is just a shadow of it's former self, but each and every year the diehards keep coming out with "this will be the year". Who knows, it might happen, I wouldn't trust EA not to break FIFA, but with the money making potential in it, I'm sure it's too valuable for them to not do things right.

So yeah, to summarise, on a purely gameplay based metric, PES was the superior product once upon a time, but they broke it, and haven't been able to fix it.

FIFA was pretty good in the 90s, early 2000s, but when PES broke onto the scene, it was good, I mean really good. FIFA felt flat and a bit unresponsive in comparison to what PES was able to do. Their best was around 2, 3 and 5, but PES 6 was still very good. During this time FIFA 2004 was pretty good, not great though, FIFA 2005 was utter rubbish (the freekicks even had a crosshair) and to be honest, I didn't even touch FIFA 06 and 07 to any meaningful extent.

Then came the new generation. FIFA 08 was a step in the right direction for them, PES 2008 was a step in all the wrong directions, and since then PES has just basically soiled itself many times over. I have no idea what happened, maybe EA realised the money making potential in FIFA and have done their homework right to make good games, maybe Konami forgot how to make good games. Whatever happened though PES is just a shadow of it's former self, but each and every year the diehards keep coming out with "this will be the year". Who knows, it might happen, I wouldn't trust EA not to break FIFA, but with the money making potential in it, I'm sure it's too valuable for them to not do things right.

So yeah, to summarise, on a purely gameplay based metric, PES was the superior product once upon a time, but they broke it, and haven't been able to fix it.

Christ I'm old. Last time I played with any purpose was FIFA 98 (France World Cup edition). I think I need to be put down for my own good.

Christ I'm old. Last time I played with any purpose was FIFA 98 (France World Cup edition). I think I need to be put down for my own good.

I do miss when PES was good, as I really don't like a lot of what EA does, but I also don't think boycotting a great series on principal. Hopefully they'll be good again one day.

Gotze cover star this year.

Gameplay wise it was very close last year. They just need to sort out their online functionality then they will be there.

...and you know, the gameplay.

What really has disappointed me is that the closest thing to a complement I've heard about this years is "it's quite reminiscent of FIFA".

Who knows, I guess we'll see. They've just conditioned me for disappointment in recent times.

The main draw back for me was the lack of team mate AI.

Fifa didn't exactly have a lot, but they did have 1 simple button which made a team mate go on a run into space to allow a through ball or whatever.

PES did have a similar system, but it didn't work as well and was much more complicated than a single button press.

I say 2k sports should do a football game and be gone with this madness :angry:

People tend to say that, but just like EA can't seem to make Basketball games, 2K has struggled with:

Baseball - MLB the Show is the clear standout there (made by Sony)

Ice Hockey - Their's failed, while EA's NHL series is the clear leader here, and very well received

NFL - They had one that failed quite a while back, EA yet again have the lead here

2K do make a very good WWE game apparently though, in addition to the obviously brilliant Basketball game. With their record though, I wouldn't think they'd even stand a chance in the Football game market (otherwise they'd probably have given it a crack by now).

People tend to say that, but just like EA can't seem to make Basketball games, 2K has struggled with:

Baseball - MLB the Show is the clear standout there (made by Sony)

Ice Hockey - Their's failed, while EA's NHL series is the clear leader here, and very well received

NFL - They had one that failed quite a while back, EA yet again have the lead here

2K do make a very good WWE game apparently though, in addition to the obviously brilliant Basketball game. With their record though, I wouldn't think they'd even stand a chance in the Football game market (otherwise they'd probably have given it a crack by now).

I have always enjoyed 2k games especially the college basketball ones, granted last one was college hoops 2k8.

Archived