Development squad

RamNut

A lot of the recent activity has centred on the development squad.

We've added calero, mcdonald, santos, bunjaku, and mitchell after a clear out.

Seems slightly strange that our academy - which was producing players - suddenly went a bit barren.

Its certainly an interesting move to restock with newbies.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think its gone barren...players like Lowe and Bennett are still to come through and I'm sure there are other. Thruth is is that for every good player produced there are 10 others who don't make it. We released a lot at the end of the season and we are restocking with new players. It certainly seems the ones coming in are a level up from the ones we let go!

Don't think its gone barren...players like Lowe and Bennett are still to come through and I'm sure there are other. Thruth is is that for every good player produced there are 10 others who don't make it. We released a lot at the end of the season and we are restocking with new players. It certainly seems the ones coming in are a level up from the ones we let go!

Totally agree with this.... The McDonald one surprises me a bit.

If we can unearth one or two rough diamonds in them development signings.... We are onto a winner winner... Unfortunately we haven't had many lads signed to development squad in last couple of years come through and have it a real go to be a first teamer....

Hope to see some come through over next year or two.

Seems slightly strange that our academy - which was producing players - suddenly went a bit barren.

What do you guys think?

You're only going to produce a couple of first team players every couple of seasons, so there's nothing strange about the clear-out. The future first-teamers still need a team to play in, though.

Even if none of these signings are ever going to make it to the level required by the first team, if they're better than what we had before, it's good news for future Academy prospects.

Also breeding players for the style of the first team. It's a culture shift from top to bottom.

We still have players in there, such as Hanson, Rawson and Lowe, as well as Bennett. So even if only 1 ends up being good enough it's still a good return.

I guess if we get tier 1 we will be going for these players even younger

I should know this but how big is Lowe?  I know he is a really highly rated LB but I also know that McClaren likes his fullbacks big and strong and worry whether Lowe fits that bill.

As the forum's resident height expert I can confirm he is 6'0" maybe 6'1" however he is very slightly built. I would also add that though he has been playing in midfield more recently, and I think that is where his future career will lie. 

What do you guys think?

I think it's all about creating a Premier-League club. By actually signing players for the Development Squad, it shows we're deliberately improving the quality. That way, if we get promoted, the players in the Development Squad are good enough to get loaned out to lower league teams because let's be honest, very few of the players before were worth loaning out. With the added quality that these signings have brought, I will expect to see a much higher conversion rate of Development Squad to Senior level, be it loans or DCFC's senior squad. Exciting times ahead.

I think it's all about creating a Premier-League club. By actually signing players for the Development Squad, it shows we're deliberately improving the quality. That way, if we get promoted, the players in the Development Squad are good enough to get loaned out to lower league teams because let's be honest, very few of the players before were worth loaning out. With the added quality that these signings have brought, I will expect to see a much higher conversion rate of Development Squad to Senior level, be it loans or DCFC's senior squad. Exciting times ahead.

Nail on the head.... Couldn't of worded that better myself....

Very exciting times

Jamie Ward will be very good in the development squad.

Jamie Ward will be very good in and around the first team.... Even though he don't last 90 as much nowadays

Interesting Bunjaku and Tom Naylor have squad numbers, but nothing yet for Lowe or Hanson. Maybe they were waiting for boy to sign and get first dibs on whatever's left, before giving more numbers out? Hanson seems closer to the first team than Lowe judging from the pre-season squads. Boy could we do with his set piece expertise...

Archived