Tom Naylor

maydrakin

Don't see the need for the Naylor bashing myself - and as much as I liked Clough, he's partially to blame for the collapse in the dreaded Ssausagehorpe match. Chose to play a defender with limited championship experience out of position. Can't blame Naylor for that, even if he did have a bad day at the races.

Clearly he's shown potential as an L2 signing, and who knows? Maybe if he gets a new club, gets settled into a team he can start rebuilding his confidence and move up the leagues much like young Pringle. 

Except Pringle was good.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except Pringle was good.

He was was he? Then why did we sell him to a L2 club? 

Seem to remember on this very forum that (what with him being from a non-league background and all), he was regularly trotted as an example of Clough's / board's lack of ambition.

Seem to remember on this very forum that (what with him being from a non-league background and all), he was regularly trotted as an example of Clough's / board's lack of ambition.

1) Yes he was, and I don't know why we got rid of him.

2) I wasn't on this forum at the time

3) If I was, I'd have spoken out against the stupid mistake we made in selling him.

1) Yes he was, and I don't know why we got rid of him.

2) I wasn't on this forum at the time

3) If I was, I'd have spoken out against the stupid mistake we made in selling him.

Easy to say that now he's a champ footballer again. Wonder how many people would say that if he was still in L2?

You'll have to excuse me but going off the fact you're not a fan of Naylor and clearly want rid, I'm struggling to believe you were as supportive as Pringle as you claim you were - especially considering he too had so much trouble breaking into the first team. 

Example of lack if ambition doesn't mean people didn't think he was any good.

And no surprise he went to league 2 club, didn't play enough to prove himself any better. However it shows he was better than where we signed him from.

Example of lack if ambition doesn't mean people didn't think he was any good.

And no surprise he went to league 2 club, didn't play enough to prove himself any better. However it shows he was better than where we signed him from.

But it did. You'll have to bear with me, because I don't know how to link to quotes from older threads, but a few choice quotes from various past Pringle-themed conversations:

On Pringle's move to Torquey: 

"Hopefully this is with view to a permanent. The most pointless player ever."

"good riddance to pringle .abysmal footballer."

On the Ram's worst ever footballer:

"Ben pringle"

On Clough's tactics:

"I fell for the romance from the beginning, I fell out of it after Crawley in the cup when I seen Alberto Bueno sitting on the bench and Ben Pringle in the starting 11."

On Clough's failed signings:

"Chris Porter, Croft, Hendrie, Russell Anderson, David Martin, Maguire, Tyson, Cywka, Naylor, just ones I can think off top of my head, oh and Pringle."

On whether the board and Clough:

"I'm skeptical that we can buy players from the lower leagues and finding gems all the time, the only Player Clough brought from a lower league club who is great is Brayford, 80% of his other signings have been complete disasters for the club, anyone remember Pringle??"

On pairing players with Coronation stars:

"Ben Kringle = Chesney Brown- Ginger and crap"

On Pringle's eventual move:

"League two I always said was his level, nowhere near championship quality. Best of luck to him and I hope he makes an impact."

Do you need more?

Now of course, just to balance things out - there are also lots of examples of people being positive about him too, but unfortunately he was the poster boy for the club's lack of ambition at the time.

And that mean't a lot of negative sentiment around him - plenty of people not prepared to give him the time, regardless of how could he could've been for us.

The way I see it, it's similar to what's happening to Naylor, who's one of the current crop of "not good enough" poster boys despite hardly having a chance. 

I'll say it again - there's no reason Naylor can't go to another club at a lower level - much like Pringle - make a fresh start, and come good again. 

Generally they say he's not good enough for our level - only a couple use words like crap or abysmal.

He was a failed signing for us - because he wasn't good enough for us at that time. But he was a good footballer. Proven by the fact he found a club, and helped them to two promotions and was a key player last season. Just shows he developed more after leaving us.

But it did. You'll have to bear with me, because I don't know how to link to quotes from older threads, but a few choice quotes from various past Pringle-themed conversations:

"good riddance to pringle .abysmal footballer."

"Ben pringle"

On Clough's tactics:

"I fell for the romance from the beginning, I fell out of it after Crawley in the cup when I seen Alberto Bueno sitting on the bench and Ben Pringle in the starting 11."

"Chris Porter, Croft, Hendrie, Russell Anderson, David Martin, Maguire, Tyson, Cywka, Naylor, just ones I can think off top of my head, oh and Pringle."

"I'm skeptical that we can buy players from the lower leagues and finding gems all the time, the only Player Clough brought from a lower league club who is great is Brayford, 80% of his other signings have been complete disasters for the club, anyone remember Pringle??"

"Ben Kringle = Chesney Brown- Ginger and crap"

"League two I always said was his level, nowhere near championship quality. Best of luck to him and I hope he makes an impact."

Do you need more?

Now of course, just to balance things out - there are also lots of examples of people being positive about him too, but unfortunately he was the poster boy for the club's lack of ambition at the time.

And that mean't a lot of negative sentiment around him - plenty of people not prepared to give him the time, regardless of how could he could've been for us.

The way I see it, it's similar to what's happening to Naylor, who's one of the current crop of "not good enough" poster boys despite hardly having a chance.

I'll say it again - there's no reason Naylor can't go to another club at a lower level - much like Pringle - make a fresh start, and come good again.

I do believe my quote was taken way out of context there.... This was about Cloughs tactics/stubbornness my quote was made for.

Come on seriously.... Should Ben Pringle be in front of Alberto Bueno!

I'm glad Ben has done well, he found his level.... Which I'm pretty sure Tom will, shame some people have to write players off so early in their careers.... Sad really

I do believe my quote was taken way out of context there.... This was about Cloughs tactics/stubbornness my quote was made for.

Come on seriously.... Should Ben Pringle be in front of Alberto Bueno!

I'm glad Ben has done well, he found his level.... Which I'm pretty sure Tom will, shame some people have to write players off so early in their careers.... Sad really

Hm, yeh sorry I wasn't trying to imply you didn't like Pringle - more that you clearly didn't see him as a good enough player to be in our starting 11 at the time, which is what your comment insinuates (which builds to my point that there was a lot of negativity around him at the time).

Likewise I'm glad he's done well. The point I'm trying to make in this debate is that plenty of people wrote of Pringle when he was actually quite a good prospect. Which is exactly what some people are doing now with Naylor.

It's daft to make statements like 'Naylor isn't good enough at this level and ergo isn't good enough to do what Pringle has done' because when Pringle was in the same position the sentiment was that he wasn't good enough either.

Hense, my point that Naylor can (and should) move to a lower league club and push on. 

Generally they say he's not good enough for our level - only a couple use words like crap or abysmal.

He was a failed signing for us - because he wasn't good enough for us at that time. But he was a good footballer. Proven by the fact he found a club, and helped them to two promotions and was a key player last season. Just shows he developed more after leaving us.

Yes. Now you're actually (sort of) agreeing with everything I've been trying to say.

The debate erupted because I said Tom Naylor could and should go on to do a Pringle. Tombo replied that he couldn't because "Pringle was good" - insinuating that Naylor is a rubbish footballer and ergo not good enough because he's not in our first team set up.

In response, I said we sold Pringle to an L2 club - thus at the time he wasn't that good, because he was no where near our first team. Just like Naylor now.

I also pointed out, that just like how Naylor is being bashed by forum members now, people were happy to bash Pringle too.

So my argument and point still stands - there is nothing to say Naylor couldn't go and do a Pringle. Naylor's current situation with us is in fact very similar to Pringle at the time he was moved on. 

"good riddance to pringle .abysmal footballer."

"Ben pringle"

On Clough's tactics:

"I fell for the romance from the beginning, I fell out of it after Crawley in the cup when I seen Alberto Bueno sitting on the bench and Ben Pringle in the starting 11."

"Ben Kringle = Chesney Brown- Ginger and crap"

Do you need more?

And that mean't a lot of negative sentiment around him - plenty of people not prepared to give him the time, regardless of how could he could've been for us.

The way I see it, it's similar to what's happening to Naylor, who's one of the current crop of "not good enough" poster boys despite hardly having a chance.

Why don't you just accept that on this forum there is a large number of half wits. While they are posting on here they are not bothering other people. Think of it as you helping the community. :-)

Hm, yeh sorry I wasn't trying to imply you didn't like Pringle - more that you clearly didn't see him as a good enough player to be in our starting 11 at the time, which is what your comment insinuates (which builds to my point that there was a lot of negativity around him at the time).

Likewise I'm glad he's done well. The point I'm trying to make in this debate is that plenty of people wrote of Pringle when he was actually quite a good prospect. Which is exactly what some people are doing now with Naylor.

It's daft to make statements like 'Naylor isn't good enough at this level and ergo isn't good enough to do what Pringle has done' because when Pringle was in the same position the sentiment was that he wasn't good enough either.

Hense, my point that Naylor can (and should) move to a lower league club and push on.

No apologies needed!

Agree with everything there

• 2 months later...

Gone to Cambridge to further his (footballing) education on a month's loan: http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/tom-naylor-joins-cambridge-united-on-loan-1927159.aspx

Good for him to get some first team games. Will he ever play for Derby again?

With the youth players we have brought in and it is obvious to that Mac does not favor him,I don't see him playing for senior squad again bar a slew of injuries.

Archived