Ronaldo

ronnieronalde

Just browsing, thought you were on about this one..

"c1650b1f68fc8d39d76c0dd371e692c0" alt="c1650b1f68fc8d39d76c0dd371e692c0">

This, ladies and gentleman, is the greatest man to play the game. Il Fenomeno

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're wrong

Na you're wrong.

If Ronaldo wasnt such an athlete he wouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence. Physically Ronaldo has got everything.

Messi cant do anything about his physical attributes. 

As pure footballers Messi is better in almost every department. 

Ronaldo gets compared to Messi, messi gets compared to Maradona and Pele.

Why doesn't Ronaldo get compared to Maradona and Pele? Simple, he's not as good.

Messi is better, has all the records to prove it. Ronaldo will be on the decline when he loses his pace and physical attributes, whereas Messi could go on much longer as he relies only on his football brain and fabulous ball attributes - things he won't lose.

In footballing attributes I'd say.

Finishing = Messi

Pace without ball = Ronaldo

Pace with ball = Messi

Dribbling and ball control = Messi

First touch = Messi

Passing = Messi

Movement = Messi

Assists = Messi

Heading = Ronaldo

Strength = Ronaldo

Balance = Messi

Shooting Power = Ronaldo

Teamwork = Messi

Set Pieces = Messi

Football intelligence = Messi

You notice Ronaldo only tops Messi on physical attributes, whereas Messi is better in every other footballing attribute.

Finishing = Messi

Pace with ball = Messi

First touch = Messi

Passing = Messi

Movement = Messi

Assists = Messi

Heading = Ronaldo

Strength = Ronaldo

Balance = Messi

Shooting Power = Ronaldo

Teamwork = Messi

Set Pieces = Messi

You notice Ronaldo only tops Messi on physical attributes, whereas Messi is better in every other footballing attribute.

Would swop pace with ball there....

Would swop pace with ball there....

Really, Messi is the fastest player in the planet (Robben probably runs him close) with the ball at his feet under control.

I'm not just talking about knocking the ball forward and running in a straight line as Bale and Ronaldo are quicker, I'm talking pace in dribbling with both feet and shifting direction.

Messi is blessed with his balace and his shift in hips in that instance.

Ronaldo couldn't dribble like this...

Really, Messi is the fastest player in the planet (Robben probably runs him close) with the ball at his feet under control.

I'm not just talking about knocking the ball forward and running in a straight line as Bale and Ronaldo are quicker, I'm talking pace in dribbling with both feet and shifting direction.

Messi is blessed with his balace and his shift in hips in that instance.

Ronaldo couldn't dribble like this...

All about opinions I suppose.

I think Ronaldo running full pelt at a full back looks easier on the eye for me!

Of course nobody will ever change their opinion on this debate so I'm not really inclined to get into it. 

Really just wanted to point out how ridiculous it was to say Ronaldo isn't as good as Messi because he relies on his physical attributes more. Of course if Messi was as tall, as quick, as powerful and as good in the air as Ronaldo - along with all his other attributes - he'd be a better player. But then again, if he only had one leg he'd probably be a bit **** wouldn't he? Complete nonsense argument.

One thing I am inclined to agree with is that Ronaldo's decline is likely to be much quicker than Messi's as his game is based more on his physical prowess as discussed. I'm actually quite looking forward to see how he adapts his game (if at all) in the next 5 or so years.

All about opinions I suppose.

I think Ronaldo running full pelt at a full back looks easier on the eye for me!

Yeh I agree but as Carlo Ancelotti explained perfectly. Ronaldo and Bale need space behind the fullbacks, He's the sort of player to leave a defender trailing in his wake...

Messi on the other hand is the sort of player who would leave a defender on his arse

Yeh I agree but as Carlo Ancelotti explained perfectly. Ronaldo and Bale need space behind the fullbacks, He's the sort of player to leave a defender trailing in his wake...

Messi on the other hand is the sort of player who would leave a defender on his arse

Thst I would agree with!

Haha, I was thinking the same.

John Terry would have done the same thing if a few kids were stood next to him with their arms out asking for a hug, he's still a c*nt.

Anyone saying he's better than Messi as well is quite clearly wrong.

Hugging children really isn't what people are talking about though. It's the other things he does off the field. But hey, you can hate him if you want.

Of course nobody will ever change their opinion on this debate so I'm not really inclined to get into it. 

Really just wanted to point out how ridiculous it was to say Ronaldo isn't as good as Messi because he relies on his physical attributes more. Of course if Messi was as tall, as quick, as powerful and as good in the air as Ronaldo - along with all his other attributes - he'd be a better player. But then again, if he only had one leg he'd probably be a bit **** wouldn't he? Complete nonsense argument.

One thing I am inclined to agree with is that Ronaldo's decline is likely to be much quicker than Messi's as his game is based more on his physical prowess as discussed. I'm actually quite looking forward to see how he adapts his game (if at all) in the next 5 or so years.

Technique wise there is no comparison. Messi wins hands down.

It's this notion that Ronaldo is better because he's more complete which is ridiculous. Someone like Danny Welbeck is effectively more complete than Messi, because he offers a threat in the air - but that doesn't make him a better player.

Messi is better than Ronaldo at virtually every footballing aspect you can think of that doesn't rely on pysical attributes. Take away Ronaldo's pace and he wouldn't even be a top 20 player in the world.

Take away Messi's pace and he'd probably just play a midfield role similar to Xavi/Iniesta yet add more goals and assists.

I reckon if you took away Ronaldo's pace he would be a stiker, and a poor mans Ibrahimovic.

Messi, on the other hand, would be a better version of Xavi.

Interestingly Ronaldo is 29 now, I'd hazard a guess that by Russia 2018 he would probably struggle to be in the world's top 10 players whereas Messi would still be number one.

I reckon if you took away Ronaldo's pace he would be a stiker, and a poor mans Ibrahimovic.

Messi, on the other hand, would be a better version of Xavi.

Interestingly Ronaldo is 29 now, I'd hazard a guess that by Russia 2018 he would probably struggle to be in the world's top 10 players whereas Messi would still be number one.

I wouldnt expect Portugal to qualify, difficult to say 4 years in advance though

Na you're wrong.

If Ronaldo wasnt such an athlete he wouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence. Physically Ronaldo has got everything.

Messi cant do anything about his physical attributes. 

As pure footballers Messi is better in almost every department.

So what you're saying is that you value one type of natural ability over others...

...interesting idea.

Finishing = Messi

Pace with ball = Messi

First touch = Messi

Passing = Messi

Movement = Messi

Assists = Messi

Heading = Ronaldo

Strength = Ronaldo

Balance = Messi

Shooting Power = Ronaldo

Teamwork = Messi

Set Pieces = Messi

Amazing, Messi tops a list you made, being judged by criteria you have set. Personally I'd rate Messi as the better player, but the difference isn't that stark, and I've heard plenty of people compare not one, but both to the likes of Maradona and Pele. They are both incredible players, but very different.

To be bluntly honest about your list though, I'd actually change a few things on it. Namely:

Finish: Ronaldo

Movement: Ronaldo

Dribbling with the ball: Ronaldo

Set Pieces: Draw

I'd add to the list:

Fitness: Ronaldo

Penalties: Ronaldo

Technique: Messi

Composure: Messi

But it all gets very subjective. Messi had a sensational few seasons, but Ronaldo probably had the better season. Ronaldo is probably the better natural finisher, but Messi can create so much space for himself through his incredible ability on the ball. Ronaldo has the "tricks", but Messi is naturally so good on the ball that he doesn't need them. Ronaldo probably reads coming chances better in the box, but Messi between better all round team play and ability on the ball gets himself into brilliant positions as well.

Ultimately both define this era, and whilst Messi will probably be remembered for longer that is not to diminish what Ronaldo can and has done in his career so far. At this point too it's hard to tell what will happen. Players who aren't all about physicality aren't also long played, and it could be argued that Ronaldo, the better natural athlete has as good a chance as any for a long career, particularly as he reads the game very well as well. He's the type of natural goal scorer who could do well for a long time to come.

They are different players though, very different players and direct comparisons, whilst obvious due to them being by far and away the best players on the planet for a good while now, aren't really that useful and general end up with people showing outrageous bias to one or the other.

Archived