Argentina v Iran

Ovis aries

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you bods explain to me why there are 9 Iranians in their penalty area and only 2 or maybe £ Argentinians when the argies are attacking

They've not got the tallest players to head the ball. Aguero, Messi, Gago, Mascherano are all dwarfs. Di Maria and Higuain barely make 6ft.

That said, Argentina have won almost everything in the air.

Zabaleta is annoying me, just consistently fouling.

Argentina haven't played badly, it's difficult to play against a team which just parks 10 men across the 18-yeard line. But as soon as they get one, they'll probably get another couple.

They've not got the tallest players to head the ball. Aguero, Messi, Gago, Mascherano are all dwarfs. Di Maria and Higuain barely make 6ft.

That said, Argentina have won almost everything in the air.

Zabaleta is annoying me, just consistently fouling.

Argentina haven't played badly, it's difficult to play against a team which just parks 10 men across the 18-yeard line. But as soon as they get one, they'll probably get another couple.

Just saying why are they leaving about four men back ? get another couple in the box

Just saying why are they leaving about four men back ? get another couple in the box

Argentina are like Real Madrid - their best players need space so they can use their pace.

A slow build allows Iran to pull everyone back and pumping hopeful balls in would be a mistake. They simply haven't got the height. 

Argentina have looked most dangerous when Iran have the ball and are pushing up, they need to lure them out, not fill their box with bodies IMO.

We'll see how they change it in the second half

Why can't Andy Townsend on a replay which is in slow motion..... See that Zabaletta get the ball, fair enough it was scuffed, but that wasn't a penalty for me.... Will admit at first glance looked 50/50.

Galling for Iran, considering they should have had a penalty earlier.

Can't see Argentina particularly bothering either Germany or France. Probably Holland as well.

Looking more and more likely that we might get a European winner after all.

Galling for Iran, considering they should have had a penalty earlier.

Can't see Argentina particularly bothering either Germany or France. Probably Holland as well.

Looking more and more likely that we might get a European winner after all.

Harsh to judge Argentina on that game alone, as Iran were just set up to defend from the start and the longer the game remains 0-0 the more difficult it gets.

Argentina had plenty of chances in the first half, and had the grabbed one a sneaky 1-0 win could have easily been a 5-0 whopping.

I'd judge Argentina when they play against a team which attacks them and wants to win.

As for Messi, great goal from a great player. Though he didn't half look fed up times and who can blame him when his teammates constantly miscontrol the ball.

Zabaleta was absolutely awful thoughout and Iran's three chances throughout the game plsu the penalty was all down his side.

Archived