Alban Bunjaku

-JW-

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/bunjaku-signs-for-rams-1628549.aspx

Well that came out of nowhere!

Former Arsenal and Sevilla midfielder Alban Bunjaku has agreed to join Derby County, signing a two-year deal on a free transfer.

The 20-year-old midfielder, who will join his new team-mates for pre-season training when they report back at the end of June, will be eligible to feature for Lee Glover’s Under-21 side during the forthcoming 2014/15 campaign.

Head of Football Operations Chris Evans commented: “Following a successful trial with the Club, we are delighted to welcome Alban on board.

“He fits the criteria for the type of player we want to bring in for the development group. 

“Alban has had a good grounding across Europe, having developed at both Arsenal and Sevilla.

“He will benefit immensely from working on the training ground in the coming months with Steve McClaren, with a view to nurturing his early potential.”

Born in Romford, Bunjaku progressed through the Gunners’ Academy having joined the club when he was eight-years-old. 

The attacking midfielder impressed for Arsenal’s Under-18 side, scoring 15 goals in 23 starts, including a hat-trick for the Academy in a 6-3 victory over Portsmouth. 

However, at the end of the 2011/12 season, Bunjaku was allowed to depart for La Liga side Sevilla on a free transfer, agreeing a three-year deal following a successful trial period with the Spanish club.

Bunjaku recently became a senior international after featuring three times for Kosovo in their friendlies against Turkey, Senegal and most recently Haiti.

Sounds like a positive, risk-free/cheap addition to the Under 21 squad.

I just hope this isn't the "overseas" player we are said to be looking at, as the tone of the article indicates the focus is on development rather than pressing for a starting place in the first team squad.

Interesting he was on trial and this still came out of nowhere.

Any early song suggestions?

Bunjaku ku ku, now he's Derby through and through. Crap but hey!

He played in a few under 21 games before the end of the season.

I was lucky enough to see him along with one or two others (wink wink) but felt unable to mention anything, in my opinion he was the best of the bunch. Hopefully we will see another one join soon.

After a look abaahht, I've found out he was regarded very highly at Arsenal.

I found a report that suggests a disagreement with the coaching staff was the reason behind him turning a professional deal down at Arsenal and moving to Sevilla.

Apparently a 'technically gifted' player.

Archived