Bamford Article

jukeboxjim

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fairly confident he won't be playing at Chelsea next year. If we go up, I can see him back on loan. If not, that's probably the last we'd see of him.

Agree, he obviously wants to test himself in the Prem, if we go up he would have a better chance at games with us.

Not that I think we should sign him though, I like the lad, think he will be a decent player in the future, I just think we need a different type of striker for next season regardless of which division we are in.

I would love to see what he can do playing a striker's role rather than out wide - he's looked a little lost most of the time but the lad has ability and it seems he has the commitment taking only five days off then hiring a fitness conditioning coach to get ready for pre-season. Good luck to him

Sounds like he was embarressed to join Derby. Don't think there'll be much loyalty shown.

Really? I don't read that into anything he said at all.

I think he'll go where he can best advance his footballing career, as would most of us. I suspect that could well be Chelsea.

Stop side-stepping the issue. Why do you think that he came across as though he was 'embarrassed' to be at Derby?

Three quotes, re his future and his loan to Derby

Bamford never had chance to speak to the Chelsea manager until he was invited for a meeting a couple of months ago, when the possibility of being the Premier League club’s third-choice striker next season was discussed.

Bamford smiles when asked how he found Mourinho. “The first thing he said to me was: ‘What do you want to do next season?’ As quick as I could I said: ‘Play for Chelsea.’ He said: ‘That’s good, at least you know what you want. We’ll see.’

But before the game I had my head down and I was talking not to God but to Nigel. I said: ‘I’m sorry that I came to Derby,’

To quote the special one 'We'll see'

But before the game I had my head down and I was talking not to God but to Nigel. I said: ‘I’m sorry that I came to Derby,’

The full quote....

But before the game I had my head down and I was talking not to God but to Nigel. I said: ‘I’m sorry that I came to Derby,’ kind of having a little laugh, ‘but just help me

He's confident I'll give him that and his natural goal scoring ability is fantastic to watch and yes he has had a few good games for us where he hasn't scored BUT he hasn't imposed himself on games as much as I'd expect someone wanting to make that sort of step up. 

IF he stays at Chelsea next season I can hardly see Jose pushing Diego Costa out wide to accommodate Bamford. I'd see it as more the other way round, he would be playing a similar role to where he's been playing with us but replacing Martin and Russell with Costa and Willian.

The point I'm making is that "he's out of position" doesn't cut it for me as an excuse, he has to cut out those tiny bits of complacency with the 10 yard passes he misplaces or where he runs aimlessly into a defender. These are both things that do not need natural ability, just hard work and the right attitude.

For him to be going into Chelsea's first team set up next year, realistically (regardless of him being central or not) he should be averaging 7.5-8/10 nearly every game with us. I say nearly because he's young and inconsistency is part of youth but I stand by the high ratings because he is playing a whole level below where he wants to be playing next year. 

IF he can put in the performances such as when he came on against Brighton or Forest at home AND continue his fine scoring record then he has every right to want to be banging on the Chelsea first team door but until then I feel he has another 2 seasons minimum at a lower team. 

Don't get me wrong he's a fantastic player, full of potential and he has every attribute needed to play at the highest level in his future! 

Archived