Free Money

RAMalicious

For those of us who get half of our season ticket cost refunded should we be successful - it gives an opportunity for free money.

In my case I get £200 back if we win and nothing if we lose. So should I put £100 on QPR to win at evens and then I'm guaranteed £100 either way.

Would you back against the Rams to be guaranteed £100?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No chance you can never back against your own team

I like the principle, and I won't be doing it myself, but there's no reason why not to just lay off the free ticket money and guarantee a profit. Smart move really.

If you're looking on the betting websites, make sure you're actually staking  on the "to be promoted from the championship" bet – and NOT the match betting. All match betting is for the score at 90 minutes, so a draw/extra-time/penalties will scupper you.

Almost every site I looked at was evens for QPR to be promoted, so essentially bet £100 and win £100

The ethics of betting against your team aside, I can see the attraction of the betting strategy as there is no outcome where you lose money. I think they call it a sure bet

If you're looking on the betting websites, make sure you're actually staking  on the "to be promoted from the championship" bet – and NOT the match betting. All match betting is for the score at 90 minutes, so a draw/extra-time/penalties will scupper you.

Almost every site I looked at was evens for QPR to be promoted, so essentially bet £100 and win £100

The ethics of betting against your team aside, I can see the attraction of the betting strategy as there is no outcome where you lose money. I think they call it a sure bet

That's right - although you can get 6/5 QPR outright on Betfair

So how did the free money feel in the end?

I withdrew the dosh from my William Hill account and still felt utterly miserable. They say that money can't buy you happiness...and they were right.

I didn't do it in the end - couldn't bet directly against the Rams

Archived