Jill Gallone 'Derby through and through'

-JW-

Our good friend Jill Gallone has reared her ugly head again saying she is 'Derby through and through', despite ditching the club for Burton when Nigel Clough was sacked.

DO you still support the Rams? It's a question I'm regularly asked after a column I penned about Nigel Clough's departure.

Intense emotion is inevitably entwined with football, hence my strong feelings at the time.

I blame the emotions of football for the many comments and, from some fans, vitriol my views sparked.

However, I also received praise. I was far from alone in my particular take on the situation.

But do I still support the Rams? Or am I a regular at Burton Albion's Pirelli's Stadium?

I am still DCFC through and through. Derby 'til you die and all that.

I have always backed the Brewers too. They are my second team.

However, I have not been to a match at the iPro all season and only the odd one at the Pirelli. I am taking a little time out from the football front line.

I listen to the Rams' games on the radio but not slavishly. Keep up the good work, Craig "they can't live with us" Ramage.

I check scores and results obsessively. I watch any match going on TV from youth games to the Premier or Spanish leagues. I stay up till stupid-o-clock to watch The Football League Show, and was over the moon about the 5-0 win over Forest. When I go on hols to my beloved Portugal I watch football with the Portuguese. Benfica, Porto, I don't mind.

Since my dad took me to my first Rams game at the age of eight, it's been like a love affair that occasionally turns sour and forces a partial separation. I know other fans who, like me, step away from the game from time to time. My partner is also a lifelong Rams fan, a Chadd lad who watched the team home and away when they were in the old third division. However, like me, he does not allow football to dominate his life. But that does not stop us both punching the air when the Rams score and, in my case, jumping up and down on the spot, arms raised in triumph. It's ingrained in my very soul.

The emotion can be so intense, a crucial loss can reduce grown men to tears. It hurts, almost physically. A winner scored against the club you love in added time feels like a kick in the solar plexus. As a kid, if Derby lost I would throw myself on my bed and sulk for hours. When that started to happen every weekend, I knew I had to step away. A Saturday job at 15 was the start of a previous partial separation. Of course, you cannot experience the euphoric highs without knowing the lows, which is why so many of us nursed a wry smile over Manchester United's season. Their fans know what it's like to be one of us.

Right now, I am enjoying football from a distance. I am chuffed to bits the Rams have breezed into the play-offs under Mac's guiding hand. I am also delighted for Nigel Clough, now regarded as a god by Sheffield United fans. Perhaps managing your local team is just too close to home. The expectations were enormous.

I'll be Roaring on the Rams back to the Premier League. Clinching promotion at Wembley would be magical. I know. I was there the last time it happened.

If destiny repeats that dream outcome, no-one would be happier than me.

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Jill-Gallone-m-taking-time-football-Rams-1/story-21040336-detail/story.html#ixzz30UIgBAMU

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So she never went when Clough was in charge this season anyway?

Does this woman deserve any attention at all?

Who is she anyway? Why doesn't she emigrate to "her beloved Portugal"

Nomark.

So if her decision to abandon Derby and start following Burton really was a "heat-of-the-moment" decision, where was this article in the weeks after Clough's departure? Why has it now suddenly appeared when we're nailed on for third and going into the play-offs as one of the form teams. Trying to squirm her way back into the world of Rams supporters now, Jill? Glory hunting moron.

I'm sure that had McClaren and co not done as well as they have done, this would've been a "told-you-so" article from her.

If you turn tail and stop following a team just because they sack a manager, you have no claim to be a "die hard" fan in any way, shape or form.

Bugger off back to Burton.

Archived