Official Player and Goal of the Season votes

HeyHudson

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"the iPro stadium playing surface"? When did we stop simply having a pitch?

I remember when I was 14 and qualifying to be a referee and I referred it as being a pitch, got a right ******* ing

I'm not arguing about Bryson's ability but why does it matter how much ground he covers? My dog would cover more.

It's just a useful part of his game. He's a decent player because he's a decent footballer. Not because he runs a lot. Running isn't a skill. Effort isn't a fantastic contribution.

Oh! You made effort? Well, how very kind of you.

Managers always say "I can't fault their effort and desire to win"

What? They tried to win? Does that not go without saying? Should that not be the minimal expectation? Stephen Pearson had bags of effort. Savage ran. Tito Villa ran. Yeovil had effort

Commons had skill. When he was motivated he was twice the player that Pearson and Co could ever dream of. When he was lazy he was a cnut. Why praise him for the times he put effort in? We don't.

Same with Bryson. Who cares how many yards he ran. How many did Eranio run? Asanovic? How many does Xavi, Toure run?

Bryson is a decent player. Let that be the argument. We love effort in this country. What about actual ability?

"You can be whatever you want to be if you work hard" = ******.

Anyway, it's a close call. Personally if we go into the Play Offs without Martin I think we'll struggle a lot more than Bryson. The stats are irrelevant.

Who would you rather miss the Play Off games? He's our best player. That's your man. Our most technically gifted player is probably neither of them. But this is for the player that's made our season most.

I know who'd I'd rather lose.

Agree with pretty much all of this.  I like Bryson, but I get the feeling a lot of the supporters' boundless love for him is because he's "got a good engine".  Well big deal.  In fairness to him, he's been a country mile better this season than in the season he won POTY last, when he largely did just run around a lot for not much end product.  But that's what British fans love - blood, guts and thunder type players.

I can't quite believe that Martin has become the first Derby player to get 20 goals in a season for 18 years, lead the line on his own playing arguably the most difficult role in the side and still not won it.  Without him in the team the whole system falls apart.

Well done lads - and well done the team & management. What a season it's been!

And it's not over yet. Oooooo getting giddy again hehehe

I'm not arguing about Bryson's ability but why does it matter how much ground he covers? My dog would cover more.

It's just a useful part of his game. He's a decent player because he's a decent footballer. Not because he runs a lot. Running isn't a skill. Effort isn't a fantastic contribution.

Oh! You made effort? Well, how very kind of you.

Managers always say "I can't fault their effort and desire to win"

What? They tried to win? Does that not go without saying? Should that not be the minimal expectation? Stephen Pearson had bags of effort. Savage ran. Tito Villa ran. Yeovil had effort

Commons had skill. When he was motivated he was twice the player that Pearson and Co could ever dream of. When he was lazy he was a cnut. Why praise him for the times he put effort in? We don't.

Same with Bryson. Who cares how many yards he ran. How many did Eranio run? Asanovic? How many does Xavi, Toure run?

Bryson is a decent player. Let that be the argument. We love effort in this country. What about actual ability?

"You can be whatever you want to be if you work hard" = ******.

Anyway, it's a close call. Personally if we go into the Play Offs without Martin I think we'll struggle a lot more than Bryson. The stats are irrelevant.

Who would you rather miss the Play Off games? He's our best player. That's your man. Our most technically gifted player is probably neither of them. But this is for the player that's made our season most.

I know who'd I'd rather lose.

In my opinion Bryson's goal contribution and assists have been so good and so important this season but has come subsequently from his running.

The fact that he runs further than others means he gets into positions to score. I do agree with you that his running and effort alone is pretty much worthless. But combined with his skill without it the team would be worse. Just the same as if say Chris Martin's strength was poor it would affect the team. It's one attribute he has that makes him the player he is.

Furthermore you say who would you rather miss for the playoffs. Obviously everyone would say Bryson. However a large factor for that is that Hendrick or Hughes can step in. Real Quality replacements. We don't have that up front so Martin would be missed more.

Martin is more important to the team

However I feel Bryson has been the best player in terms of ability snd skill in their position.

I take it Connor Sammon won that great trophy every Sunday league player craves for at the end of the season.... Clubman of the year ;)

Really pleased for Bryson and no one can argue about his contribution this season.

Equally though it could have just as rightly been awarded to Martin or Buxton as they have also contributed in equally outstanding measures..

It's nice just seeing the right blend and round pegs in round holes and no matter what our end of the season becomes it's been an exciting and truly enjoyable season which as united the football club and can only see us going from strength to strength.

Up The Rams.....

"the iPro stadium playing surface"? When did we stop simply having a pitch?

"Get off the fooking iPro stadium playing surface" - has a nice ring to it.

I take it Connor Sammon won that great trophy every Sunday league player craves for at the end of the season.... Clubman of the year ;)

Those nets won't put themselves up, you know.

Think you argued against yourself with the commons point, he always had skill but was a waste of time until he put the effort in when wanting a new deal, the only spell that made him worth keeping was when he added effort to his game.

I did mate. Heh.

I guess I was trying to say that all the effort in the world can't beat ability. Commons is higher regarded by us than some lads that have given their all. Maybe not liked as much, but he's pretty highly rated.

Martin v Sammon > one of those will sulk if you make him work unnecessarily hard. One will run all day and night for the team.

Bryson isn't good because he runs. I always find it odd that people choose to his energy as a main attribute. I probably do it myself. But it's a poor argument in a debate. A heated debate by the looks of it.

I'd still say Martin has contributed more. Nobody ran beyond Sammon or Theo. Couldn't trust them.

In my opinion Bryson's goal contribution and assists have been so good and so important this season but has come subsequently from his running.

The fact that he runs further than others means he gets into positions to score. I do agree with you that his running and effort alone is pretty much worthless. But combined with his skill without it the team would be worse. Just the same as if say Chris Martin's strength was poor it would affect the team. It's one attribute he has that makes him the player he is.

Furthermore you say who would you rather miss for the playoffs. Obviously everyone would say Bryson. However a large factor for that is that Hendrick or Hughes can step in. Real Quality replacements. We don't have that up front so Martin would be missed more.

Martin is more important to the team

However I feel Bryson has been the best player in terms of ability snd skill in their position.

I wouldn't really argue with any of that.

On the poty thing. It's not Martin's fault we have no cover. The fact is that everything runs through him. The fact is he's our focal point. If we brought in Suarez then Martin wouldn't be playing and wouldn't be a choice for poty. But he is. And what he's provided is there for all to see. If I was a PL team I think I'd rather buy Hughes or Dawkins. But neither have defined this particular season for us like Bryson or Martin. When it comes down to who has made our season I'd say Martin. Having no alternative and him being so vital says we couldn't do it without him. So I wish he'd been rewarded for that.

But well done to Bryson. He has been very good. He's boosted us up this league and his attacking intent has been such a massive weapon for us. His patience, his passing and his CLEVER runs. Not just any running. Without Martin I don't believe it would have all been possible. But whatever, it was possible and Bryson delivered.

Let's just give these lads good backing and reward them all with some support and appreciation in the Play Off games whatever the result.

We're going to finish above QPR. With over 80 points. I hope the lads get to play in the PL. They've earned it more 21 teams out of 23. They try to play quick football on the floor. They try to control games. They always play to win. Brilliant

I wouldn't really argue with any of that.

On the poty thing. It's not Martin's fault we have no cover. The fact is that everything runs through him. The fact is he's our focal point. If we brought in Suarez then Martin wouldn't be playing and wouldn't be a choice for poty. But he is. And what he's provided is there for all to see. If I was a PL team I think I'd rather buy Hughes or Dawkins. But neither have defined this particular season for us like Bryson or Martin. When it comes down to who has made our season I'd say Martin. Having no alternative and him being so vital says we couldn't do it without him. So I wish he'd been rewarded for that.

But well done to Bryson. He has been very good. He's boosted us up this league and his attacking intent has been such a massive weapon for us. His patience, his passing and his CLEVER runs. Not just any running. Without Martin I don't believe it would have all been possible. But whatever, it was possible and Bryson delivered.

Let's just give these lads good backing and reward them all with some support and appreciation in the Play Off games whatever the result.

We're going to finish above QPR. With over 80 points. I hope the lads get to play in the PL. They've earned it more 21 teams out of 23. They try to play quick football on the floor. They try to control games. They always play to win. Brilliant

Agree with that also

At the end of the day if we get promoted no one will care who won what. Both would give up any idividual awards for us to get promoted.

Archived