Seven years today....

Mafiabob

Since I last had a bet, for those who know my addiction, I'm proud to say I've achieved that. A day at a time, sometimes even an hour at a time especially when I first stopped. Gamblers Anonymous saved my life and improved it immensely.

For those of you that's struggling with gambling or think it's a problem. Get yourself to a meeting. Best thing I ever did.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done to you,as someone who has liked a bet all my life I am to trying to give up this problem habit,I haven't had a bet for 8 months,but it takes a lot of willpower when Cheltenham and Aintree comes around

Well done. It does take a lot of will power. I feel like I'm winning now. Still struggle on odd days. You're only ever one bet away. I just get to my meetings regularly and say the serenity prayer in my head a lot when I'm struggling.

I always try to break the triangle, time opportunity and money, break that link daily and I know I won't bet.

Well done Mafia. Gambling ruins lives, anyone who can go one day at a time without a bet deserves a bloody big slap on the back.

Sat in on a few meets in the past, met some sterling people who deal wirh their struggle admirably, and that's not easy to do.

I wish you nothing but the best Mafia :-)

Well done mafiabob - 9 years for me with a couple of slips. GA saved my life and granted me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

Good job well done. When and where are you getting your pin.

Nice one Mafia.

May I ask how bad your addiction was, I've not seen you mention it before and i'm curious as I love to have a gamble myself.

I honestly couldn't tell you the last day when I didn't have a bet, everyone tells me I have a 'problem' mainly in a jokey way, but some are serious. I don't see it as a problem at all though, just a habit and a bit of fun.

I've won far more than I've lost, and my life is nowhere near ruined.

Yet.

Thankyou ladyram and Dav, Dav I've pm you.

Nice for you to see that side ladyram. It's the best place for us, at least we know we are all of the same mind! As Dav says it saved our lives. Live by the serenity prayer.....

Nice one Mafia.

May I ask how bad your addiction was, I've not seen you mention it before and i'm curious as I love to have a gamble myself.

I honestly couldn't tell you the last day when I didn't have a bet, everyone tells me I have a 'problem' mainly in a jokey way, but some are serious. I don't see it as a problem at all though, just a habit and a bit of fun.

I've won far more than I've lost, and my life is nowhere near ruined.

Yet.

thebaronwrites.wordpress.com it's the first thing I posted on there (earliest blog) hope that helps to fill in a few gaps JW! Thankyou!

Just read it mate.

Hats off to you. Fantastic achievement.

Thankyou fella. I was also the guy on front of telegraph in January. Did a two page spread for them. All anonymous of course,

Thankyou ladyram and Dav, Dav I've pm you.

Nice for you to see that side ladyram. It's the best place for us, at least we know we are all of the same mind! As Dav says it saved our lives. Live by the serenity prayer.....

I wrote a piece for the Scottish Life edition of the Gam Annon mag, just from my point of view, glad it was published if it helped somebody but actually getting it out and putting it on paper was really good therapy. :-)

Archived