Chris Powell x

Bris Vegas

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A manager should be awarded on merits not on colour of his skin regardless of the fact he was black if they are under performing they should go end of don't agree with the way they have done it but it really does annoy me the way people go on about it no-one goes on about how many white managers have been sacked or are out of work over the past 12 months, or ginger ones, or scottish ones or spanish ect ect 

I totally agree, in fact, I was going to add a similar sentiment to the end of my comment. But, you can't deny it's going to be brought up.

And, although I do agree with what you're saying, that jobs are awarded on merit, and clearly Powell wasn't sacked because he was black, it's still an interesting statistic, given that there are  decent amount of footballers who are black. Why is it that they don't seem to filter into management. Race campaigners will probably tell you it's because their is some sort of discrimination at the grass roots of coaching training, or the opportunities aren't there, or black people aren't encouraged as much.

I don't buy that, but there is clearly something that discourages a proportionate amount of black players to become managers, just like there is some influence that discourages Asian kids to become professional footballers, so Asians are dis-proportionally represented. And I find it quite interesting to explore what those influences might be, even if it's not out and out discrimination.

But anyway, this isn't a thread about race equalities in football. Chris Powell is a nice bloke, whether he's black white or polka dot, seemed to be respected by the players and liked by the fans. Maybe League 1 is his level. but I think it's sad that he didn't at least get the chance to play his games in hand. If they hadn't got such a crappy water logged pitch, they might have picked a few points up from those and be reasonably comfortable in lower mid-table (which would have had the added bonus of meaning that Forest had lost to the bottom of the table club, Barnsley).

Archived