Financial Fair Play

zaragozaram

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who says we are suing the Football League?

That will only happen next year, if and when the punishments are applied. It's safe to say that some clubs won't take it lying down.

At least Leicester will be in the Prem and have the riches to pay the fine. Clubs that  don't get promoted will also have a transfer embargo applied.

And if Leicester are so confident in suing the Footbal League, why did they spend so little over the summer and constantly state that it was because they have to conform to FFP?

Don't understand what Leicester's problem is.

They'll go up, they'll get hit with a transfer embargo and they'll come back down with a ready-made excuse - "Not our fault, it was that nasty FA and their transfer embargo, otherwise we'd have walked the league......"

Didn't they vote if in?

Leicester, Reading and Southampton voted against it - Forest had different ownership.

I strongly suspect that this makes any legal appeal against sanctions likely to succeed as it would be found to be anti-competitive as the clubs had no choice but to compete in the Championship as there is no other suitable organisation which would allow them to go about their primary business.

The same argument can be made by teams who were not in the division at the time of the vote.

The only clubs likely to actually be tied in are the ones who voted for it that are still in the division and have the same ownership because they entered into it voluntarily...like us.

FFP is what UEFA has brought in so its play by their rules or you are not in the club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Financial_Fair_Play_Regulations

The FL isn't automatically covered by it though, that's why they had to vote on whether or not to adopt it.

The threat of being banned from UEFA competitions or having prize monies withheld from participating in UEFA competitions isn't likely to hold much sway with FL clubs....

This is how not to run a football club, decent article on QPR and how much money has been wasted and the impact that will have.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/qpr-financial-results-rangers-face-40m-fine-in-top-flight-of-debtors-9173772.html

Crikey, reading that squad you wonder how they got relegated and so badly. There's some quality in there. Definitely goes to show that a team is more than the sum of it's parts.

The same argument can be made by teams who were not in the division at the time of the vote.

But by that arguments couldn't most teams say: 'I don't agree with this 3 points for a win malarky, and no one consulted me when it was put in place, so I'm not going to conform to it. I want the whole league recalculated base don 2 points for a win. Oh look, we win the league."

A rule is a rule. If a team doesn't like the rules of the Football League, they can piss off and start their own league with their own rules.

They're lucky the Football League even let them vote. Was there a vote on the change to the offside rule?

I understand this has greater complexities, because of the rights of football clubs as business entities. But a rule is a rule. Either all teams play by it, or no teams do. Anything else is cheating. And surely, when the teams enter the league, they have to sign something that says they agree to comply by the rules of that league.

In fact, if these clubs win their case, if I ran the Football League, I would say they are no longer welcome in my League. When they get relegated from the Premier, they can go straight to the conference.

The FL isn't automatically covered by it though, that's why they had to vote on whether or not to adopt it.

The threat of being banned from UEFA competitions or having prize monies withheld from participating in UEFA competitions isn't likely to hold much sway with FL clubs....

That's the gumps ruled out of getting their 3rd star : )

Don't understand what Leicester's problem is.

They'll go up, they'll get hit with a transfer embargo and they'll come back down with a ready-made excuse - "Not our fault, it was that nasty FA and their transfer embargo, otherwise we'd have walked the league......"

If you get promoted to the Prem you just get the fine - you don't get the transfer embargo

I think it will be interesting to see how this pans out as the FL will be under majority pressure from the clubs who conformed, not to buckle to the spend-crazies. If they buckle then they might as well give up.

Look at the points deduction system - that seems to work and is a pretty harsh penalty. Clubs have to conform if they want to stay in business. In the end, if these rich clubs want to dispute it, then the FL have the ace up their sleeve of saying, OK, don't pay the fine but find yourself another league to play in. Will they have the balls to do so??

Let's hope so - there are no shortage of clubs who would be willing to shuffle up from the Conference and fill the gaps.

The main argument against FFP is that it will mean no clubs will be strong enough to compete in the Prem when they get promoted.

My view would be that if you've conformed to FFP then you can go up to the Prem and spend your riches on players, rather than paying off the massive debt you've accumulated

But by that arguments couldn't most teams say: 'I don't agree with this 3 points for a win malarky, and no one consulted me when it was put in place, so I'm not going to conform to it. I want the whole league recalculated base don 2 points for a win. Oh look, we win the league."

A rule is a rule. If a team doesn't like the rules of the Football League, they can piss off and start their own league with their own rules.

They're lucky the Football League even let them vote. Was there a vote on the change to the offside rule?

I understand this has greater complexities, because of the rights of football clubs as business entities. But a rule is a rule. Either all teams play by it, or no teams do. Anything else is cheating. And surely, when the teams enter the league, they have to sign something that says they agree to comply by the rules of that league.

In fact, if these clubs win their case, if I ran the Football League, I would say they are no longer welcome in my League. When they get relegated from the Premier, they can go straight to the conference.

The on pitch rules have the benefit of being long-satnding and don't materially affect a company's ability to trade. Sanctioning owners for lawfully investing in or refinacing their businesses does.The Football League needs to be very careful in this as it is effectivelly a monopoly supplier. If they are seen to be abusing their position it is they, rather than the clubs who could end up on the wrong side of fines.

Archived