Penalties

Abu Derby

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for gods sake guys. Argue causality all you want but all the op was saying was that one extra goal would have won the game 4-3. And a scored penalty would have given is that goal.

I totally understand that the world could have ended had we scored that penalty. What's done is done, and all that. The only way to really say that a missed penalty cost is a game is if it was literally the last kick of the game.

But it's still a valid way to draw certain conclusions. How many games did we need another goal on to pick up more points, and we missed a penalty?

The one sure thing is that missing penalties is not good.

For that matter, imagine if we could score from dead balls. We're top scorers as it is. We'd be annihilating people if we could score from set pieces and penos.

Seems a valid tactic against us is to just crop us on the edge of the box, or even in it. Then watch us waste the free kick / peno, when we probably would have had more chance scoring from open play. See Bamford's goal where Ward was fouled in the build up.

I for gods sake guys. Argue causality all you want but all the op was saying was that one extra goal would have won the game 4-3. And a scored penalty would have given is that goal.

I totally understand that the world could have ended had we scored that penalty. What's done is done, and all that. The only way to really say that a missed penalty cost is a game is if it was literally the last kick of the game.

But it's still a valid way to draw certain conclusions. How many games did we need another goal on to pick up more points, and we missed a penalty?

The one sure thing is that missing penalties is not good.

And the OP was clearly wrong.

You are right about one thing though - missing penalties is a bad thing.

And the OP was clearly wrong.

You are right about one thing though - missing penalties is a bad thing.

Ah, but according to causality, there is no way of knowing whether or not all those missed penalties were, in fact, necessary to get us to where we are. What's done is done, and where we are is where we are.

This is all getting very philosophical.

My point is that we can all agree that, given the option, we should be aiming to score our penalties. Even if causality says that by scoring the penalty against Birmingham, there is no way of knowing if we would have ended up loosing 4 -1. Therefore, the only sensible thing to do is to assume that a penalty scored rather than missed is a goal earned, an extra goal on the scoreline, and then you can come with statistics as to whether or not we should have a few extra points by now.

Otherwise you might as well assume that every penalty we missed, had we scored it, would have ended up in a loss, and we'd be that many points worse off. And therefore we should practice hitting every penalty into row Z, because, overall, that tactic is working for us. Which is clearly daft.

Ah, but according to causality, there is no way of knowing whether or not all those missed penalties were, in fact, necessary to get us to where we are. What's done is done, and where we are is where we are.

This is all getting very philosophical.

My point is that we can all agree that, given the option, we should be aiming to score our penalties. Even if causality says that by scoring the penalty against Birmingham, there is no way of knowing if we would have ended up loosing 4 -1. Therefore, the only sensible thing to do is to assume that a penalty scored rather than missed is a goal earned, an extra goal on the scoreline, and then you can come with statistics as to whether or not we should have a few extra points by now.

Otherwise you might as well assume that every penalty we missed, had we scored it, would have ended up in a loss, and we'd be that many points worse off. And therefore we should practice hitting every penalty into row Z, because, overall, that tactic is working for us. Which is clearly daft.

I think the point is we dont know for certain  what would have happened if we had scored a first half penalty, but we do now what would have happened if we hadnt conceded a last minute equaliser- we would have won. So most people are ruing our poor defending right now more than our poor penalty taking. Also we've still scored 57 goals even with all the missed penalties. But yeah it doesnt help to miss penos.         

Archived