George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

What this needs, particularly as Thorne has handed in a transfer request is the fee set by tribunal as in the past. Everything taken into account, his age, value of contract, number of games at WBA, wiyh both sides agreeing at abide by tribunal valuation. That way everybody really does win out.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The same player you are so desperate to sign. The same player who was MOM for a lot of the games he played in for you which means he has come on leaps and bounds or your team is a bit pants.

People on here say money is no object to your owner and others say you can't afford to spend over £2m. Seriously, which is it as your fans don't seem to know?

Our owners have a lot of money but we're one of the clubs trying to abide by FFP so we can't just throw massive offers around

Why dont u wba fans on here get a life an get off our thread? This is a derby county supporters forum

True, but you are discussing one of our players who we don't want to sell so it makes an interesting debate don't you think? Or don't you want to see things from the other side of the fence?

As long as fans of other teams are respectful I think it adds to the discussion rather that you all saying "when we sign Thorne ....." Etc

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have only read and posted on this thread, and I don't see any harm in that.

The same player you are so desperate to sign. The same player who was MOM for a lot of the games he played in for you which means he has come on leaps and bounds or your team is a bit pants.

People on here say money is no object to your owner and others say you can't afford to spend over £2m. Seriously, which is it as your fans don't seem to know?

The trouble is, what is a sensible and fair valuation of Thorne, its very difficult to put a value on him. I think most Rams agree he's worth more that £1m, I would imagine most Baggies being realistic, know he's not worth say £5m, but where in between is very difficult to judge as he has no sustained track record. His run of about 15 game with Derby is his longest ever run of first team games and he did well, but that doesn't mean he's the next Steve Gerrard. It needs a fair independent tribunal valuation.

We could, and may yet, buy a player of equivalent value but there is more to this transfer than George's obvious talents.

Our squad has a fantastic team spirit and ethos which he's obviously bought into and he could walk into the first team with very little integration having been working with the coaching staff for the last 5 months. This is one hurdle out of the way which, for any new player coming in, could be a stumbling block. This obviously make George a more attractive option.

That doesn't mean we would pay £5m for a £2m player. It's possible we may pay £2m though.

MOM awards are rarely based on one's talents. Very often they have little relevance to the way the player has performed so don't read too much into that.

And as for money, we have a thing you may or may not have heard of called Financial Fair Play. As our ex-CEO, Tom Glick, had much to do with pushing through FFP it has always been a consideration to which we have firmly adhered to. We will presumably have around £4m to spend this summer without selling if we are to stay below the threshold of £8m. That money needs to be spent enhancing the squad, not squandered on one player.

Our consortium of owners can easily afford Thorne, that's not the issue at hand.

PistoldPete2

True, but you are discussing one of our players who we don't want to sell so it makes an interesting debate don't you think? Or don't you want to see things from the other side of the fence?

As long as fans of other teams are respectful I think it adds to the discussion rather that you all saying "when we sign Thorne ....." Etc

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have only read and posted on this thread, and I don't see any harm in that.

You've posted 62 times on a single thread? No wonder we are up to 90 pages already. The only harm is I have to  wade through all this to see if there's any news, and as a result missed the fact that Thorne handed in a transfer request. Was distracted by the McCormack story too, and all the sport on telly.

You've posted 62 times on a single thread? No wonder we are up to 90 pages already. The only harm is I have to wade through all this to see if there's any news, and as a result missed the fact that Thorne handed in a transfer request. Was distracted by the McCormack story too, and all the sport on telly.

Make that 63 :D

You know you will miss me when the transfer window shuts and Thorne is still at the Albion

The problem is financial fair play. We as a club are well within this year and next year guidelines, but there are so many potential loopholes and the impending court challenge by at least QPR ( they are due to be fined something like £60M ) and the meeting in a few weeks by the league chairmen. I can seriously see the whole idea being thrown out as not many clubs have actually sorted their affairs. We are the best run club in the championship with ( I think) the richest backers. If FFP is torn up we COULD afford pretty much anything (within reason). The ambiguarity of FFP causes the confusion.

Specifically on GT, I have sources that say he was not treated well while in recovery, has had next to no contact while at Derby, and the diversive cliques at WBA destroying any team spirit are all factors.

I guarantee that these West Brom fans won't be posting on here much when Thorne's in a Derby shirt again. Bleeding turncoats.

If he does stay at West Brom they'll all be on here bragging that a player who doesn't want to play for them ever again has been forced to stay  :lol:

Came straight from the horse's mouth, printed in the Mirror article.

Thorne wants out in away way shape or form which is available to him. He's clearly fed up of the situation with West Brom and it's doubtful he'll play any further part in their future plans whether he comes to Derby or not.

And why do you keep referring to Derby as 'we' when you're clearly a Baggie?

I have only supported Deby since the days of Billy Curry and Gordon Hughes so don't talk childish crap my friend. I am trying to see this from both sides, Derby want him but West Bromwich are are not the villains of the peace if they want to keep him. Of course he may have told the Mirror that, how else could he have justified wanting to leave five months after signing a new contract? Why is it doubtful that he will be part of their future plans when he was playing for the first team when he got injured and they gave him a long contract when he wasn't even fit? He is clearly very much part of their plans, if he gets his head down and works hard, and Derby shouldn't be seen to encourage him to do otherwise.

Also, there is no argument here. It has been played out in public.

Derby: We want Thorne, we're prepared to go all out for Thorne (West Brom know this) and we're in no rush to bow to their demands.

Thorne: Well, Thorne is easy. He wants to join Derby and he'll do whatever it takes to get the move. He's done all his can so far, the next would be not showing up for pre-season training (which, could be the killer blow)

West Brom: Well, this is complicated. The fans don't want him, the club don't want him and, in my opinion, they're holding out for as much as possible. If he was to play the first game, he'd be boo'd, which WBA fans would be well within their right too.

It's farcical but we're all playing our parts. It's a case of how much money West Brom will hold out for. The worst thing for them is if we walk away from the table. But, in that instance, no-one would be happy.

Thorne joining Derby for a decent amount of money leaves everyone happy - that's how it'll eventually play out.

I disagree, I work with two rampant West Brom fans who told me what a good player he was when he came to us on loan and what high hopes they had for him when he was fit. They are pretty pissed off about his comments because they don't think they were in any way justified but they are prepared to forgive and forget if he gets his head down.The club clearly want him, they brought him through the youth team at great expense, nursed him through injury then gave him a new contract, anticipating that he will be an asset for them in the future. I have seen nothing to suggest that they don't want him, not a single word since the day he joined us on loan, the opposite in fact.

Can I ask why you think West Brom don't want him?

I disagree, I work with two rampant West Brom fans who told me what a good player he was when he came to us on loan and what high hopes they had for him when he was fit. They are pretty pissed off about his comments because they don't think they were in any way justified but they are prepared to forgive and forget if he gets his head down.The club clearly want him, they brought him through the youth team at great expense, nursed him through injury then gave him a new contract, anticipating that he will be an asset for them in the future. I have seen nothing to suggest that they don't want him, not a single word since the day he joined us on loan, the opposite in fact.

Can I ask why you think West Brom don't want him?

If he was to start opening day, on the back of this, he'd be boo'd and quite rightly so.

I wouldn't want a player who was handing in a transfer request and bitching about leaving. I just wouldn't.

I don't care who you support, or how good a player is, once they've lost that love to play for your club then I'd want them gone.

If Bryson, Martin, Russell.. or whoever came out and said I don't want to play, here's my transfer request...etc then I'd want them gone. I imagine WBA are the same.

I've seen lots of comments saying get rid, hope he breaks his leg...etc, etc. It's going to happen, but just when we cough up enough.

If we go against the FFP rules and sign McCormack for 5 and sign Thorne for whatever......what will happen to us ? do we get a massive fine like QPR or a transfer embargo or what ?

There would be no punishments until December 2015 when the accounts for 2014-15 are published and scrutinised.

The fine would depend on the overspend, wouldn't be anywhere near QPR levels.

So we could have 3 transfer windows on the championship with no penalty. Bit if we got promoted next season we'd only need two.

Archived