George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

Someone from westbrom.com analysed his time with us since 18......

November 2011 - Portsmouth

December 2011 - Recalled to Albion

February 2012 - Portsmouth

March 2012 - Injured and ruled out for season

November 2012 - Peterboro

December 2012 - Recalled to Albion and plays

February 2013 - Injured and out for 8 x months

November 2013 Fit again and loaned to Watford

Start January 2014 - Comes back to Albion

End January 2014 - Loaned to Derby for rest of the Season after signing new deal.

So by my reckoning since November 2011 he has actually been available to the club for selection -

December 2011 to February 2012

August 2012 to November 2012

December 2012 to January 2013 (When he actually played for us)

January 2014

So since the age of 18 (he is now 21) he has been available for a grand total of 8 x months in ( 6 of those months he was 18 or 19 with no or little experience) and one of the other months out the 8 he actually played for us in! Other than that he has either been injured or out on loan (despite him claiming we stopped him going out)

What's your point?

...I mean what's the point of West Bromwich? It's just fleapit dirty kebab strewn link between Birmingham and Wolverhampton! Maybe Thorney wants the challenge of a big club and the clean country air!

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really see what the arguing is.

I understand WBA's stance

I understand Thorne's desire

Obviously Derby's interest

The only stupid thing is the threat to sell him to someone else at a cheaper rate than what you can get now.

That

Is

Stupid

Nobody gets what they want. But Peace will look down at his penis and imagine it being just a little bit bigger as he's shown the world who's boss. Spiteful and pathetic.

You lot don't seem to understand that you cannot own a player anymore, you may have a contract and it may state this that and the other, however he can just tear it up. Yes there are consequences

It actually happens all the time, players are released from their contracts 'by mutual consent', this maybe the first where he invokes article 17 and walks, depending on if he and/or another team buy out his contract, he could end up at QPR, they have the cash to splash.

You lot are trying to blame all this on Derby, all we did was make a bid for him, you lot have thrown the toys out of the pram.  Pathetic club.

The article 17 rule was given teeth by the Webster ruling. I don't think it applies in this case. It seems to me that the three year part applies to his current contract - which is six months old. I don't believe that he can just walk away.

However, I have uncovered something which might help. Players appear to have the same right to buy out their contracts as everyone else. In theory a player can pay the club the total of their wages for the duration of the contract and walk away. If GT is on £10k per week it that would mean he'd have to stump up £1.5m or so. If we agreed to pay that, then things get interesting.

That said, activating such a loophole would send shock-waves through world football as all transfer fees become automatically tied to contract lengths and wages. It could see players like Hughes and Hendrick depart for pittances. I'm not sure that our club would contemplate being the ones to push that particular envelope.

That said, activating such a loophole would send shock-waves through world football as all transfer fees become automatically tied to contract lengths and wages. It could see players like Hughes and Hendrick depart for pittances. I'm not sure that our club would contemplate being the ones to push that particular envelope.

At that rate, Hendrick would go for about £400k!

They (Some WBA fans) were quoting Thorne's current contract, and the length of it, as to the reason why our offer was so derisory saying that his contract alone is worth £2m and then adding on a random £3m that seemingly came from nowhere.

£1m is not an insult. We could get a player of his ilk for around about the same fee, I'm sure.

Since the age of 18 (he is now 21) he has been available for a grand total of 8 x months in ( 6 of those months he was 18 or 19 with no or little experience) and one of the other months out the 8 he actually played for us in! Other than that he has either been injured or out on loan (despite him claiming we stopped him going out)

He obviously doesn't feel that the loan moves were for his benefit, rather solely for the clubs benefit.

You recalled him from loan because you were desperate, not because of how well he was doing out on loan and he stated AT THAT TIME (Post match interview) that he was hoping to be considered for first team football in a very average Premier League side.

It's clear that your club has no intention of him playing by bringing in new players who will be ahead of him in the pecking order. If he goes back to West Brom, he's straight into the reserves.

People seem to think that the number of appearances is relevant in setting a value.

Only if you can't judge quality when its in front of your nose.

People seem to think that the number of appearance is relevant in setting a value.

Only if you can't judge quality when its in front of your nose.

I concur with this....

What is all this ridiculous talk about Thorne walking away from his contract? Even if that were possible that's not the way we do things at Derby, we don't take lads on loan then encourage them to walk out on their current club. That's not the way to get the best young loan players in the future and it certainly wouldn't enhance our reputation in the game. Some Derby fans are getting carried away with talk of walk outs and legal challenges - we make our best offer and if they reject it we register our interest for the future, should there be a change of mind, then we move on. All of the rest of the stuff is pure rubbish and talk of signing contracts under duress absolute fantasy. Get a grip Rams fans, WBA have got the player contracted, we have no rights over him, we would hopefully hold on to our young players if unwelcome bids came in. They are doing exactly what we would want Rush to do, no more and no less.

All of the rest of the stuff is pure rubbish and talk of signing contracts under duress absolute fantasy.

Came straight from the horse's mouth, printed in the Mirror article.

Thorne wants out in away way shape or form which is available to him. He's clearly fed up of the situation with West Brom and it's doubtful he'll play any further part in their future plans whether he comes to Derby or not.

And why do you keep referring to Derby as 'we' when you're clearly a Baggie?

At that rate, Hendrick would go for about £400k!

They (Some WBA fans) were quoting Thorne's current contract, and the length of it, as to the reason why our offer was so derisory saying that his contract alone is worth £2m and then adding on a random £3m that seemingly came from nowhere.

£1m is not an insult. We could get a player of his ilk for around about the same fee, I'm sure.

Sorry to seem confused but if players like Thorne can easily be found for £1m then why after having a bid of £1m turned down are you still chasing him? Surely you would simply go and buy one of the many other players of the same ilk that you referred to.

Anyway this is really simple and us Baggies have seen it many times over with Peace, we price him very very high and you either pay it or you dont sign him it is as simple as that. Full stop no negotiation just put up or shut up and nothing in between.

Lets see how much you really do want him or not as the case may be.

What is all this ridiculous talk about Thorne walking away from his contract? Even if that were possible that's not the way we do things at Derby, we don't take lads on loan then encourage them to walk out on their current club. That's not the way to get the best young loan players in the future and it certainly wouldn't enhance our reputation in the game. Some Derby fans are getting carried away with talk of walk outs and legal challenges - we make our best offer and if they reject it we register our interest for the future, should there be a change of mind, then we move on. All of the rest of the stuff is pure rubbish and talk of signing contracts under duress absolute fantasy. Get a grip Rams fans, WBA have got the player contracted, we have no rights over him, we would hopefully hold on to our young players if unwelcome bids came in. They are doing exactly what we would want Rush to do, no more and no less.

Exactly.

I think some derby fans are being a little bit too overconfident here.

West Brom have all the power on this transfer.

Thorne has done a stupid rant in a newspaper, he has reportedly handed in and had a transfer request rejected.

Look where that's got us so far. He's no closer to signing.

The only way we will get him is with the right money.

Everyone on both sides knows he wants to go, let's stay professional and negotiate a fair deal with West Brom instead of making this a battle of will power between the two clubs.

I'm sure the dcfc representatives have risen above all the childish nonsense that has been going on anyway.

I do disagree,

It's a lot easier signing a player that kicks up a fuss, handing in transfer requests..etc than it is signing a player that is happy to stay at their club.

Wisdom, for instance, is happy to stay at Liverpool despite seriously struggling to get game time, whereas Thorne, who may get game time, isn't happy and wants to move.

It's a lot easier to prise Thorne away than Wisdom. Although Wisdom could be loaned again, but.. you get my point :lol:

Also, there is no argument here. It has been played out in public.

Derby: We want Thorne, we're prepared to go all out for Thorne (West Brom know this) and we're in no rush to bow to their demands.

Thorne: Well, Thorne is easy. He wants to join Derby and he'll do whatever it takes to get the move. He's done all his can so far, the next would be not showing up for pre-season training (which, could be the killer blow)

West Brom: Well, this is complicated. The fans don't want him, the club don't want him and, in my opinion, they're holding out for as much as possible. If he was to play the first game, he'd be boo'd, which WBA fans would be well within their right too.

It's farcical but we're all playing our parts. It's a case of how much money West Brom will hold out for. The worst thing for them is if we walk away from the table. But, in that instance, no-one would be happy.

Thorne joining Derby for a decent amount of money leaves everyone happy - that's how it'll eventually play out.

Why dont u wba fans on here get a life an get off our thread? This is a derby county supporters forum

I prefer to get their view.

A player WBA won't play. Is way down the pecking order. Who has a history of injuries in which one put him out for a season. Who has requested a transfer. That has never held down a regular place at any club. That wants to join us.

And some WBA fans think he is worth £3-£5m...

A player WBA won't play. Is way down the pecking order. Who has a history of injuries in which one put him out for a season. Who has requested a transfer. That has never held down a regular place at any club. That wants to join us.

And some WBA fans think he is worth £3-£5m...

The same player you are so desperate to sign. The same player who was MOM for a lot of the games he played in for you which means he has come on leaps and bounds or your team is a bit pants.

People on here say money is no object to your owner and others say you can't afford to spend over £2m. Seriously, which is it as your fans don't seem to know?

Archived