George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West Brom were very clear about their intentions when Thorne came to Derby -

“Hopefully it will be a win-win situation for everyone and, come the summer, George will be able to hit the ground running with us and force his way into the first-team squad and then the starting line-up.”

He was injured playing for their first team at Everton, spent most of last year recovering, then went to Watford and Derby to get games under his belt. At no time was he offered for sale and the statement above makes it very clear what West Brom expected of him. When he signed his contract he knew what was required, he isn't a child and he pays for the best advice. His club gave him a long contract at a time when he was struggling to play for 90 minutes and for that faith they deserve his respect.The contract was a clear statement of their belief in him.

If West Brom aren't prepared to sell him he should get his head down and earm a recall to their side, we shouldn't get involved in an unseemly mess and be seen to try and unsettle a player who was sent to us in good faith. I would love to see him at Derby we we are a club that does things the right way and long may that continue - our reputation amongst Premier League clubs is very important.

I'd say this is an odd one. The players must think something really special is happening at Derby if someone like GT wants to leave a reasonably established Premier League club and drop a division for us. Of course I'm thrilled in many ways, but surprised that, after leaving the iPride/Moor Farm the gloss hasn't begun to wear off.

If we're really that much of a draw, then hopefully Bryson will want to stay too, buyout clause or not. And Hendrick won't be tempted by the delights of Watford...

Archived