George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea of WBA's financial situation, but if I had enough money I would.

We can't on the one hand bemoan the fact that money and lack of loyalty is ruining the game but on the other hand condone his actions. I think Thorne is a cracking player and I'd love us to sign him, but talking to the press in the way that he seems to have done is clearly wrong.

I blame the Mirror, but then I blame the Mirror for everything, up to and including HP sauce being made abroad.

Can't argue with that

Don't forget Will Hughes has around 100 apps aged just 18/19! Thorne has less than half of that at 3 years older, and has suffered an horrific injury. Furthermore, Hughes has plenty of appearances for the u21's, Thorne has 0.

Thorne is fantastic. But Hughes is on another level, his technical ability is some of the best I've seen as a supporter of the club, I've had a season ticket for over 35 years.. He will be an England international within the next 4 years, no doubt at all.

Problem is we still need:

RB

CB cover

LB cover (if Freeman goes)

RW (Competition for Ward, Russell, Dawkins)

Fair enough 3 could be loans but we might not be able to splash all our budget on one player, Thorne.

This. Had we heard of Thorne well before we signed him? Not particularly. I'm sure McClaren would replace adequately, even though he's been fantastic for us.

This one is going to drag by the sound of it

No idea of WBA's financial situation, but if I had enough money I would.

We can't on the one hand bemoan the fact that money and lack of loyalty is ruining the game but on the other hand condone his actions. I think Thorne is a cracking player and I'd love us to sign him, but talking to the press in the way that he seems to have done is clearly wrong.

I blame the Mirror, but then I blame the Mirror for everything, up to and including HP sauce being made abroad.

I really don't get all the fuss, from either side on this one. I mean really, it's like a bunch of 12 year olds with the noises out of joint.

I really don't get all this.

He's a 21 year old lad, off the back of an emotional end to the season, on holiday. Asked whether he'd stay at West Brom he stated that if he wasn't going to be first choice, he'd like to leave. There was nothing in it from what I saw. The term "ultimatum" seemed to be rammed in there for a bit of media spice, but what the quotes stated was very much a case of he'd like to be playing first team football, and if West Brom isn't the place for that, then he'd want to move. I really don't see the issue with that, I don't understand how anyone could take issue with that.

Don't get me wrong, the West Brom side will use this as a stick to beat up the price, and the Derby side will use his interest in first team football and their chance to add a talented player. But all the nonsense thrown around on here (particularly by a few West Brom fans) seems bizarre. As long as he's not saying anything like "I'm not a slave, let me leave for free or else" or "I demand satisfaction" I don't see what's wrong here, he hasn't said anything particularly out of the ordinary, and the inflammatory part was the article headline that was posted.

Any player who's hit 20 and goes on loan has to be seen as a player who might want to stay at that club, and I'm still sure that West Brom and Derby are far further along with discussions than many would think. You'd think West Brom would wait and see what the new manager wants from his side (although they have a Director of Football for most transfer dealing apparently) before they make a final call.

At this point it's worth just sitting back and waiting calmly on this one.

If Thorne would just make some kind of gesture to some obscure french comedian, he'd get tin tacked and we'd pick him up for nowt, job done, no ?  :ph34r:

He could try wearing a false nose like Raymond Luxury Yacht (pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove")

"http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a456/luckyeddie2/hqdefault_zpsd3652577" alt="hqdefault_zpsd3652577">

and pass himself off as Gerard Depardieu. Is that the sort of thing you had in mind?

"http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a456/luckyeddie2/Gerard-Depardieu-008_zpsae99410f" alt="Gerard-Depardieu-008_zpsae99410f">

Problem is we still need:

RB

CB cover

LB cover (if Freeman goes)

RW (Competition for Ward, Russell, Dawkins)

Fair enough 3 could be loans but we might not be able to splash all our budget on one player, Thorne. 

We definitely need a RB, but there's no way any of those should be prioritised before Thorne.

LB: We've got an up and coming youngster in Lowe to cover there

CB cover: We've already got Bucko, Keogh and OB with Whitbread likely to come in

RW: You've answered it yourself, we have Dawkins, Ward and Russell, without even taking into account Bennett.

Our priorities should be RB, Thorne and a back-up ST (Sammon will go).

Lol @

(Today 04:52 PM)Beano13 Wrote:

I have to spend several hours a day at work with many of them, all I am getting at the moment is "Thorne wants to play for a big club" and "You can spend the Thorne fee on next seasons relegation fight"

This should be their local headline "WBA SHOCK; FAN HAS FOUND EMPLOYMENT"

TobyWanKenobi

I've gone from not actually giving a toss about West Brom whatsoever to generally hoping they fall through the leagues in just 46 pages!

Archived