George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/george-thorne-delivers-west-brom-3632199

On-loan Derby midfielder George Thorne will deliver an ultimatum to parent club West Brom by telling them: I'm not coming back if it means sitting on the bench, writes Tom Hopkinson for the Sunday People.

The 21-year-old has earned rave reviews since joining the Rams at the end of January and was man-of-the-match for Steve McLaren's side as they suffered heartbreak in the Championship play-off final against QPR last weekend.

He said: "I have had a fantastic time at Derby and I won't rule out a move there. The squad, the manager, the style of play, the fans... it's a great club.

"But one thing I will rule out is that I won't be going anywhere to be a squad player.

"I had a knee injury and it has taken me almost a year-and-a-half to get back on track, but now I've got back to this point I'm not prepared to go and sit on somebody's bench or be in somebody's squad and have to wait for my time again.

"Anyone who knows me will tell you that, compared to how I have been, I'm much happier now. I felt at home at Derby, I felt wanted at Derby, which I certainly didn't at West Brom.

"I felt like a squad player at West Brom and most times not even that. I've never really had a sustained spell or a chance and enough's enough.

"On my mind now is playing football and Derby is a very good option for me."

Sounds positive!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/george-thorne-delivers-west-brom-3632199

On-loan Derby midfielder George Thorne will deliver an ultimatum to parent club West Brom by telling them: I'm not coming back if it means sitting on the bench, writes Tom Hopkinson for the Sunday People.

The 21-year-old has earned rave reviews since joining the Rams at the end of January and was man-of-the-match for Steve McLaren's side as they suffered heartbreak in the Championship play-off final against QPR last weekend.

He said: "I have had a fantastic time at Derby and I won't rule out a move there. The squad, the manager, the style of play, the fans... it's a great club.

"But one thing I will rule out is that I won't be going anywhere to be a squad player.

"I had a knee injury and it has taken me almost a year-and-a-half to get back on track, but now I've got back to this point I'm not prepared to go and sit on somebody's bench or be in somebody's squad and have to wait for my time again.

"Anyone who knows me will tell you that, compared to how I have been, I'm much happier now. I felt at home at Derby, I felt wanted at Derby, which I certainly didn't at West Brom.

"I felt like a squad player at West Brom and most times not even that. I've never really had a sustained spell or a chance and enough's enough.

"On my mind now is playing football and Derby is a very good option for me."

Sounds positive!

80% sure this transfer will happen one way or another now.

Please join now thornie.... but.... spoke 2 a baggies friend... he said... "he signed a new contract in jan, an now we released load... majority midfielders, and thorne guna b straight in 1st team now" pleased snap him up asap if we get a chance

And suddenly he's become a lot less talented in the West Midlands.

I don't think we'd need to interfere if they do another poll.

Come on Derby, show em the money. Lots of clauses to keep the fee affordable.

A 3 year contract isn't going to be bought out cheap

To be fair, if a Derby player said the the same people would not be happy.

Absolutely. 

But, in similar circumstances then I'd understand fully. It'd be the same as James Bailey joining Sheffield United and doing brilliantly IMO. 

They have the power though. They can stick a price tag on his head that we'll struggle to match but the likes Fulham to Leicester can consider.

I think he'd be fine playing for WBA. But PL teams do love their clique

They have the power though. They can stick a price tag on his head that we'll struggle to match but the likes Fulham to Leicester can consider.

I think he'd be fine playing for WBA. But PL teams do love their clique

But he might have the same problem there. Is he going to get into Leicester's first team? Probably not, even though I think he's good enough. Apparently Fulham are cutting down this year so unlikely to be splashing that sort of cash.

We needed him to do this. It gives us the upper hand. 

They won't want what is at the minute, a squad player, disrupting matters. Hopefully we can just get it sorted. 

He must have pushed this to the press to force the move IMO. I drove past the iPro tonight and the floodlights were on. I guess they were setting up the 'Real Madrid-esc' stage for his announcement  :D

Archived