Us parents..what good liars we are!

ladyram

When you were a kid, didn't you just love the idea of Father Christmas coming to bring you presents? You did didn't you? You got so excited you'd struggle to get to sleep on Christmas Eve. 

The thought of him landing his sleigh on the roof, Rudolph with his red nose, leaving a mince pie, a carrott and a glass of milk on the hearth..

Well, my 9 year old was still under the impression that Father Christmas was real, of course it's what all parents/grandparents tell their kids, it makes the whole thing magic.

Until the other day when he came out of school looking fed up.

"What's up?" said I.

"Mummy. Tell me straight. Is Father Christmas dead? All the others in my class have been telling me he's not around anymore, somebody said that he was never real to start with, so tell me please, yes or no".

Erm..... what to say without upsetting him, after all, he's been told Father Christmas is coming ever since he was old enough to remember. At the same time, I knew now I had to be honest with him.

Anyway, I went on as best I could, explaining that while St. Nicholas is now gone, as in dead, the spirit of Christmas and the idea of gift giving remains and that's one reason why we still celebrate Christmas. Oh wow, bless him, he looked so crestfallen when he knew he wouldn't actually be bringing him anything and guessed it was us who did it all.

I felt bad and a tad guilty for lying, we'd done such a good job in convincing him he was real :(

Anyway, he's fine about it and this morning piped up, "Mum, when you wrap the presents up can I help ya wrap mine, I'll try not to look".

Had to laugh... :lol:

Just the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy to go now... ;)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe the way you let your kid down on santa was telling him he'd snuffed it... you may as well said he got blown up in a terrorist attack.

In related news, my brother got sent home from nursery for telling kids santa wasn't real... he must have been like 4.

When you were a kid, didn't you just love the idea of Father Christmas coming to bring you presents? You did didn't you? You got so excited you'd struggle to get to sleep on Christmas Eve. 

The thought of him landing his sleigh on the roof, Rudolph with his red nose, leaving a mince pie, a carrott and a glass of milk on the hearth..

Well, my 9 year old was still under the impression that Father Christmas was real, of course it's what all parents/grandparents tell their kids, it makes the whole thing magic.

Until the other day when he came out of school looking fed up.

"What's up?" said I.

"Mummy. Tell me straight. Is Father Christmas dead? All the others in my class have been telling me he's not around anymore, somebody said that he was never real to start with, so tell me please, yes or no".

Erm..... what to say without upsetting him, after all, he's been told Father Christmas is coming ever since he was old enough to remember. At the same time, I knew now I had to be honest with him.

Anyway, I went on as best I could, explaining that while St. Nicholas is now gone, as in dead, the spirit of Christmas and the idea of gift giving remains and that's one reason why we still celebrate Christmas. Oh wow, bless him, he looked so crestfallen when he knew he wouldn't actually be bringing him anything and guessed it was us who did it all.

I felt bad and a tad guilty for lying, we'd done such a good job in convincing him he was real :(

Anyway, he's fine about it and this morning piped up, "Mum, when you wrap the presents up can I help ya wrap mine, I'll try not to look".

Had to laugh... :lol:

Just the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy to go now... ;)

That was a nice answer for him. I don't think that any child has been traumatised by going from believing to non-belief. All part of growing up.

My 9 year old nephew said he wanted a Samsung Galaxy for Christmas - my sister said, "Do you know how much they are"

"Yeah, but its from Santa, innit Duh?"

Haha, good luck with that one - methinks the kids not daft.

My 9 year old nephew said he wanted a Samsung Galaxy for Christmas - my sister said, "Do you know how much they are"

"Yeah, but its from Santa, innit Duh?"

Haha, good luck with that one - methinks the kids not daft.

Lol. Kids round here mention wanting one, they cost more than our first car! Kids just don't grasp that though do they?

Archived