Hulse or Martin?

L_J_DCFC

Martin is probably the best striker we've had at the club since Hulse, so I can see the comparison.

Martin is playing both 9 & 10 roles at the moment, that's pretty impressive, he's critical to the way we play and brings out the best in others. He's been quality so far, if he keeps it up I think he'll surpass Hulse, who was a different player but played a similar

-ish role for the team but more of an out and out 9.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin is probably the best striker we've had at the club since Hulse, so I can see the comparison.

Martin is playing both 9 & 10 roles at the moment, that's pretty impressive, he's critical to the way we play and brings out the best in others. He's been quality so far, if he keeps it up I think he'll surpass Hulse, who was a different player but played a similar

-ish role for the team but more of an out and out 9.

Martin's a perfect 10... but he wears a 12.

My thoughts exactly.

Whilst both Hulse and Martin weren't so fond of moving, they both had very different styles in themselves.

Martin is probably the better footballer, classy player that has enhanced our passing football into an effective football with his link up play.

Hulse was old fashioned, grit and tough - not as flashy, but was a hassle for any defender on his day.

Martin IS much more consistent than Hulse was - who, had his games where he was unplayable - Forest away and Coventry at home spring to mind, but largely could be found hiding.

Martin whilst not the hardest worker will always come deep and at least offer something, even off his day.

as Moystn said;

Martin and Steve Davies is a good argument and so is Hulse and Sammon.

I though hulse was pretty consistent, favourite player in that side. Wasn't much competition mind! Martin has impressed me this season, still a lot to work on though. He's so much better when he gets stuck in and isn't claiming a free kick every four seconds! He does look like he's running in treacle though! Decent signing and think he'll still improve.

Getting games, goals and decent service! Not sure what else a forward could want

Not enough evidence yet. If Martin can keep his early season form going, he'll edge ahead of Hulse...but I'd still take Rasiak over either of them for all round impact and quality.

Paul Goddard

Thread closed, packed away, never to be seen again until someone over 50 says John O'Hare

What a quality player he was. In my opinion, the partnership between him and Saunders was as good as it ever got watching Derby.

Does anyone remember the odd habit Goddard had of rolling the sides of his shorts up before the kick-off? Weird.

Archived