watches....to dream on for

froggg

A salutory tale.

Regular readers of this thread (both of you) may recall I bought a 1972 Omega Constellation, calibre 751, off eBay last year, only to find that the the guy who sold it to me had bought it on eBay 6 weeks ealier, and was apparently happy to lose £100 on the deal.

I had it checked out locally only to be told it was in a poor state and not worth reparing. A little delving around on eBay showed that the first buyer had advertised it as being ' a well looked after lightly used example. overall this watch is in excellent condition' and had been 'professionally serviced to the highest standard using the best equipment available' and ' is in stunning condition and functions perfectly'

Needless to say, it stopped 'functioning perfectly' after a few weeks, and sufficient time had passed to have no recourse to the seller.

I recently sent it to a competent watch restorer for an honest opinion, which was;

Everything is scratched, the movement, the screw heads, the dial.

The hands need restoring.

Unoriginal crystal.

The date frame needs riveting on the dial.

The case ring has been filed and modified .

The two screws that should hold the case ring are broken off in the movement.

Screws for case clamps are unoriginal. and there are probably more surprises when movement is taken apart.

The cost of getting the watch in halfway decent condition it is greater than the watch is worth.

So there you have it. Caveat emptor

How on earth can someone do that much damage to a watch 

​It is believed that the movement originally came in a different case and was 'cobbled' to make it fit this case, presumably by a crass amateur. The restorers sent me photos of this movement in its present casing, and another identical movement in its original case. There's a world of difference.

A salutory tale.

Regular readers of this thread (both of you) may recall I bought a 1972 Omega Constellation, calibre 751, off eBay last year, only to find that the the guy who sold it to me had bought it on eBay 6 weeks ealier, and was apparently happy to lose £100 on the deal.

I had it checked out locally only to be told it was in a poor state and not worth reparing. A little delving around on eBay showed that the first buyer had advertised it as being ' a well looked after lightly used example. overall this watch is in excellent condition' and had been 'professionally serviced to the highest standard using the best equipment available' and ' is in stunning condition and functions perfectly'

Needless to say, it stopped 'functioning perfectly' after a few weeks, and sufficient time had passed to have no recourse to the seller.

I recently sent it to a competent watch restorer for an honest opinion, which was;

Everything is scratched, the movement, the screw heads, the dial.

The hands need restoring.

Unoriginal crystal.

The date frame needs riveting on the dial.

The case ring has been filed and modified .

The two screws that should hold the case ring are broken off in the movement.

Screws for case clamps are unoriginal. and there are probably more surprises when movement is taken apart.

The cost of getting the watch in halfway decent condition it is greater than the watch is worth.

So there you have it. Caveat emptor

​I got an Omega Seamaster, only to learn later that it was a copy and worth at most about £85.

still it was one of a joblot of 14 watches for £32 off eBay!

I paid £180 for a great 1950s Omega manual, lovely watch.

Sorry to hear that you got so badly stung Phoenix.

Hope you didn't pay top whack. (Even with the £100 off!)

All the best, mate!)

Whenever you buy a watch from so called luxury brands I highly recommend you get one with the original box and papers. Including the service history and the certificate of the authencity. I also recommend that you get the watch by someone you know you can trust and one that offers you some kind of guarantee.

If possible do the deal in a place where a professional can check that everything is in order. Feel free to PM me if you are interested to buy a vintage or luxury watch, I can recommend you trusted sellers and perhaps give a hint about prices and brands and other stuff too.

Whenever you buy a watch from so called luxury brands I highly recommend you get one with the original box and papers. Including the service history and the certificate of the authencity. I also recommend that you get the watch by someone you know you can trust and one that offers you some kind of guarantee.

If possible do the deal in a place where a professional can check that everything is in order. Feel free to PM me if you are interested to buy a vintage or luxury watch, I can recommend you trusted sellers and perhaps give a hint about prices and brands and other stuff too.

Good old Cisse.

riding to the rescue again!

Good old Cisse.

riding to the rescue again!

​It's those cowboy boots.

Anyway, thanks chaps, I appreciate your comments. Once bitten, twice shy. I did, however pick up another Constellation about the same time, gold coloured case, 751 calibre, for just over £300 from a watch repairer in Italy. This is the real deal. Lovely watch in very good condition, with the days in Italian.

I reckon I've lost about £250 in total on the duff Constellation, but I'm hoping to sell it for spares on eBay when I get it back from the restorer (unrestored of course).

I really like the look of the Tissot powermatic 80 chronometer, new, for about €930 upwards.

https://www.premiumwatches.com/tissot-t-classic-luxury-automatic-chronometer-t086.408.11.056.00.html

I have also been bitten by scam merchants in this game, try and buy from dedicated antique online auction sites, you have recourse if the goods are fake, read the description carefully and keep away from watches that state "watches like omega" or " no guarantee"

I purchased a so called genuine " cartier ladies cocktail watch" from ebay and when I opened the back it was a fake Chinese import, the photos on the listing were of a different watch, ebay couldn't give a left testicle so I smashed the watch into bits and sent it back through the post.

I prefer this personally. Very similar. 

image.jpg

​That was a watch I was considering for about a year but then went for my Bremont after all. Last week I started to long for that GO again. At the moment doesn't look like I can get it anytime soon though.