watches....to dream on for

froggg

I also have another omega . Manual winding 18ct . Was a grandfathers .. It has a horrible strap on because it is 19mm and hard to find alternatives . I got it serviced once and the Jeweller said the movement won an award in 1957 but I really have no idea what it is. I'd wear it more often if I could find a strap ! .. 18 are too small and 20's won't quite squeeze in so it is gathering dust 

what at is your favourite of your own collection ? 

I can make some inquiries about those straps. I'll let you know about that.

I must say my favourite is the Bremont U2 Blue Dial. It is modified ETA but it has some great aspects when used in rough circumstances.

I also have this golden vintage dress watch in mint condition from 1969 by Glycine. Haven't come across with another one anywhere.

Is anybody interested in Panerai book from 2008? Written by Giampiero Negretti and Simon De Burton. The prices asked start from £220 for used one and I have one in mint condition but no use for it. Asking price £100.

Edited by Cisse

I admire them but they sometimes seem a little vulgar to me, but each to his own ! ?

phoenix, mine is slim and light . It is about the thickness of a pound coin and that includes the glass. The movement which is self winding is 2.1mm thick. Fascinating to look at. 

I admire them but they sometimes seem a little vulgar to me, but each to his own ! ?

phoenix, mine is slim and light . It is about the thickness of a pound coin and that includes the glass. The movement which is self winding is 2.1mm thick. Fascinating to look at. 

That kind of caliber is incredibly hard to make. It's art in it's highest form.

A couple of months ago I bought a beautiful 9carat gold Automatic Garrard watch as supplied th the top Royals. It has Quartz like accuracy and I had a squid change from £200. Lovely watch. Great investment IMO. Came from EBay in original box with it's original case, and warranty.

Sounds like a bargain. Do you know the year of the watch ?

There are quite a few Garrard watches around, mostly in unused condition, as Garrards were often the ones given by big companies to employees for long and faithful service, so they kept them proudly in a box in a draw.

Like yours, they're generally engraved on the back. Not sure who made the movements for them but they're pretty good. I'd guess the inscriptions tend to put collectors off, but you can have them polished out I believe, but I can't see the point.

I like the inscription.

It gives a reliable provenance to the watch.

It makes the watch unique and readily identifiable.

Also, as it is of no sentimental value other than intrinsically, I don't hesitate to wear the watch as it was intended, keep it's auto mechanism going and (controversially) use it to tell the time!:whistle:

BTW EBay has one with engraving at about £230 and a plain backed, (which looks a bit scuffed as if it may have been ground down) for about the £250 mark.

Maybe a thematic collector somewhere has a number of presentation watches.

Still, I'm keeping and using mine.

Edited by steve brummie

You piqued my curiosity Steve .. A quick internet trawl later ... It might be a Smiths .. Garrard  had movements cased that were either Smiths own or Swiss ones. Smiths have a website although they are traders and watch repairers nowadays,  but it has lots of detail and history and they sell "vintage" Garrard watches. 

Mind you I am no expert, just a nosey bu**er