Time Travel Photographs of WW2

PrivateDerby

Brilliant Time-Travel Photography of Europe’s World War Era by Sergey Larenkov

"http://urbanpeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/article-2116708-12392115000005DC-730_964x640-e1336517008588" alt="article-2116708-12392115000005DC-730_964">

Celebrating this year’s anniversary of the end of World War II, we feature the work of amateur Russian photographer Sergey Larenkov. He collected old pictures of several European cities which suffered the heaviest fighting during the great war, then spent 12 months painstakingly travelling to Paris, , Berlin, Moscow, Leningrad (now St Petersburg) and Prague and others to re-create the ‘today’ shots before carefully merging the old and new scenes together using Photoshop on his computer.

"http://urbanpeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/ghostsworldwarII2-e1336517603630" alt="ghostsworldwarII2-e1336517603630">

His collages show people the horrors of WWII and the difference between today’s life and those days. First, he finds an old photo, then finds the location where this photo was taken, goes there and takes a new shot. Editing one photo takes Larenkov about a day afterwards.

“During the Second World War, my grandparents stayed in blockaded Leningrad and protected their city from the enemy. I started collecting old postcards and photos about ten years ago” he describes.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not, I'm not big on history but I've always found it so interesting and unbelievable that our Dads, Granddads, Uncles and Brothers of what?... two or three, four at the most generations back were involved in this! 

Cisse, the 4th one down with the children just about to cross the road says it was the Soviet - Finnish war if you hover over it.

It's not, I'm not big on history but I've always found it so interesting and unbelievable that our Dads, Granddads, Uncles and Brothers of what?... two or three, four at the most generations back were involved in this! 

Cisse, the 4th one down with the children just about to cross the road says it was the Soviet - Finnish war if you hover over it.

My granddad was born in that city. Got kind of strong feelings about those pictures and that time.

Archived