Any skippers on here?

PrivateDerby

I mean this sort... 

Started boxing again (stopped when I was 26) and the young lads are running rings round me. Used to smash everyone general fitness wise but i've even been struggling to skip, something which I used to be really good at and love.

I can go five minutes at full pelt doing double hops and heel toe but then that's it, i'm knackered. 

It's obviously a cardio thing? I can't go running because my knee is shagged. 

What's my best bet? Gotta get under 80kg and i'm struggling  :(

Thanks.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early 30s, I've let myself go abit and recently realised how much I used to enjoy just training and sparing.

I'm just not good at the fitness side of things, I never had to think about what I was eating or how hard I was training. This knee has cocked things up though because I'm just piling it on at the moment. I can't run so skipping is probably the next best thing and you don't feel stupid when it's in a grotty white washed boxing gym with a few other divs.

Just feel sluggish :lol:

Mate try being 51 and 17 stone, put three stone on after two and a half years off work with a smashed leg, which when it healed had to be re broken as it had rotated out 38 degrees, lost a couple of stone but put half back on.....mind you the marathon training will sort that out :D it gets much harder as you get older, especially when one of your legs is fooked :(

I miss boxing training too. I only did it for a year and a half and it was the best training I've ever done (after I got used the getting hit and stopped instinctively turning and running when I did). I was never the best skipper though. The cardio wasn't an issue, my timing was.

As for other cardio exercises that won't impact the knees. Swimming, bag work (assume you're doing that anyway). My fav was 3 mins bag, 1 min rest but in the minute rest 25 press ups, 25 sit ups and 25 squats then back on the bag and repeat - killer.

Mate try being 51 and 17 stone, put three stone on after two and a half years off work with a smashed leg, which when it healed had to be re broken as it had rotated out 38 degrees, lost a couple of stone but put half back on.....mind you the marathon training will sort that out :D it gets much harder as you get older, especially when one of your legs is fooked :(

Sounds nasty best of luck mate! You'll be fell running next :lol:

Cycling, cross trainers and swimming (but don't do breaststroke)

Do plenty of leg extensions and curls but not squats or lunges

Take glucosamine

Ah thanks! Forgot all about swimming, dunno where my speedos are. I'm doing light leg curls most days and it seems to be working.

I'll look into glucosamine.

Ah thanks! Forgot all about swimming, dunno where my speedos are. I'm doing light leg curls most days and it seems to be working.

I'll look into glucosamine.

A third of my degree is sport and fitness, so PM if you need any advices. 

I miss boxing training too. I only did it for a year and a half and it was the best training I've ever done (after I got used the getting hit and stopped instinctively turning and running when I did). I was never the best skipper though. The cardio wasn't an issue, my timing was.

As for other cardio exercises that won't impact the knees. Swimming, bag work (assume you're doing that anyway). My fav was 3 mins bag, 1 min rest but in the minute rest 25 press ups, 25 sit ups and 25 squats then back on the bag and repeat - killer.

Really enjoying it, just struggling! A few of us have got a similar bag work routine, it gets competitive though haha. Still think I'm in my late teens like most of the lads that go but they're giving us a good going over at the moment :lol:

Cycling, cross trainers and swimming (but don't do breaststroke)

Do plenty of leg extensions and curls but not squats or lunges

Take glucosamine

why not breaststroke ? genuine question..

i find swimming very theraputic

why not breaststroke ? genuine question..

i find swimming very theraputic

The leg action isn't very good if you have bad knees, it can strain the ligaments on the inside of the knee and give you problems with your patella. If you vary your stroke that can help and apparently there is a new breaststroke leg action called the Dolphin action which can help.     

Archived