Welcome Tony Pulis!

GeneralRam

Did he walk out on Stoke? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Pulis

He's ***** is he? I bow before such wisdom.

There was a huge bust up with the players after a string of **** results. They all then played up and pretty much forced him out because fans were putting so much pressure on. The players may aswell have been throwing games.

I don't mind Tony tbh, probably the best we could get now, he's not always played boot and chase, some of the Div 1 and 2 stuff he had Stoke playing was really good. He got Gillingham up in his first season.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. If all I was bothered about was 3 points I'd follow one of the Manchester or London clubs.

I have no problem with losing if we play good football.

I agree.

You learn harsh lessons by trying to play nice football.

You have to break down teams. You have to become quicker in every way. Until you learn lessons it's a rocky road.

But when you can play a bit then you're a dominant team. You don't need to hope for set pieces and your 8ft striker coming up against an 8ft defender.

Anything that requires hours of practice and months of learning must be worth doing.

It's by doing things wrong that had held this country back in the football world. Look how England have fell behind some other National sides. Spain!! We weren't producing such inferior footballers to Spain was we? They can produce 2 starting 11s now to compete at the highest level.

It's not asking to play like Barca either. They try and succeed to play football in areas where you just can't expect to play football. Nobody is asking for that. That's a whole different level.

I hate the percentage approach. It's only good until you start playing against ruthless opposition. Which is perhaps why Everton, Stoke, Sunderland and teams like that all reached limits. Different limits. But the only realistic future they had under certain managers was down. Finishing 6th in the PL sounds great to us. But I'm sure Everton fans became frustrated with their games against the other tops sides and the fact they just couldn't push on. That was under a very good percentage football manager too. We'll see how he does with United where he's constantly in competition with ruthless opponents.

Bris says take Pulis and get rid when we're up. I'd take that. But it's brave to sack a successful manager. Suddenly start trying to play a bit. I don't know. I want promotion but I want us to stay up. I want to play Inter in the Europa League. Sign big names. Be talked about

Everyone's entitled to their opinion & just as I spent years trying to defend Clough against people who had taken a default position, I've decided to take mine with regards to Pulis.

Just because Pulis, if he is indeed the man, God forbid, succeeded at Stoke with a certain style of play does not mean he will replicate the same at Derby. He also was supported financially at Stoke.

I'm with G Star Man and some of the comments criticising Clough don't see things in the round. We have two fit centre-halves, one now suspended & you think this was a situation Clough wanted? Do you not think he'd like to have gone out and spend a loan fee and big wages on a Jack Hobbs? We were linked to Richard Dunne, whatever happened there? Could Clough go out & bring in players, like for like, when a key one, like Hendrick,  got injured?

No, sacking Clough is just a smokescreen to the real problem, a board who want to do things on the cheap without investing in players or having the patience to wait as we were close. It's clear Will Hughes would go in the next year and the money gained from his sale could have been used constructively. Clough never had the luxury of spending the sums Davies wasted in two transfer windows. Yes, money was spent sometimes badly, but was Sammon any worse than Cox who cost much more in fee and wages?

'Pretty football' didn't bring results so they have now gone for the lazy option of route one and a particular brand of pragmatic football which will probably mean all the work undertaken by Clough's team at the Academy will go to waste.

If you're happy with Pulis, fine. I'm not. Personal choice.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion & just as I spent years trying to defend Clough against people who had taken a default position, I've decided to take mine with regards to Pulis.

Just because Pulis, if he is indeed the man, God forbid, succeeded at Stoke with a certain style of play does not mean he will replicate the same at Derby. He also was supported financially at Stoke.

I'm with G Star Man and some of the comments criticising Clough don't see things in the round. We have two fit centre-halves, one now suspended & you think this was a situation Clough wanted? Do you not think he'd like to have gone out and spend a loan fee and big wages on a Jack Hobbs? We were linked to Richard Dunne, whatever happened there? Could Clough go out & bring in players, like for like, when a key one, like Hendrick,  got injured?

No, sacking Clough is just a smokescreen to the real problem, a board who want to do things on the cheap without investing in players or having the patience to wait as we were close. It's clear Will Hughes would go in the next year and the money gained from his sale could have been used constructively. Clough never had the luxury of spending the sums Davies wasted in two transfer windows. Yes, money was spent sometimes badly, but was Sammon any worse than Cox who cost much more in fee and wages?

'Pretty football' didn't bring results so they have now gone for the lazy option of route one and a particular brand of pragmatic football which will probably mean all the work undertaken by Clough's team at the Academy will go to waste.

So you wouldn't be happy with a manager who took a struggling championship to the Europa League in the space of a few years??

Why is everyone so excited about the Pullis talk, he was at our game yesterday, so what?

He watched other games yesterday to, there were probably other out of work managers at the game too.

If he was already lined up to take our job would he have worn a red and white tie? Or is it plain old lazy journalism?

I bet Pullis has been the favorite for almost every job that's come up since he left stoke as he is the biggest name without a club!

Pulis might not want the job. Why would he? He's a proven Prem manager. Mark Hughes bided his time when he was out of work and didnt feel like he had to drop down a division and I dont rate Hughes one iota. If Pulis name is on the shortlist then why isnt Martin O'Neills? He's out of work, he's a proven Prem manager by the same token.

Pulis might not want the job. Why would he? He's a proven Prem manager. Mark Hughes bided his time when he was out of work and didnt feel like he had to drop down a division and I dont rate Hughes one iota. If Pulis name is on the shortlist then why isnt Martin O'Neills? He's out of work, he's a proven Prem manager by the same token.

O'Neil has stated that he is not interested in dropping down to the Championship, even with Forest. Pulis was at the Forest game yesterday for unexplained reasons.

Gillingham , Bristol City, Portsmouth, Plymouth

Really? A whole new user / username dedicated to the removal of a manager who hasn't even been appointed and may not actually even be being considered? Seriously?

I was thinking entirely the same thing! Can't believe it!

Although Tony Pulis did play some awful football, if thats what it takes to get Derby back to the premiership I couldn't care less. We played some good football with Clough over the past 5 seasons, anbd we are still in the same league. Do we really want to hire another manager that plays 'pretty football' and we're still here in another 5 seasons?

Pulis has 'been there and done it'. He knows how to keep a team in the premiership, something that Billy Davies cannot claim to do.

Just please god don't let it be McClaren.

If they are looking for someone to adopt a similar attitude to Clough maybe someone in the form of Parkinson or Robinson, but for me they're too much of a risk.

Archived