New Manager?

Catch 23

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hills have put a market up this morning (only 3 bookies have a market on it btw, they don't really care).

They've got Pulis 8/11, McLaren 2/1, Mcleish, Phelan, Pearce 16/1.

Elsewhere Appletons odds have shortened a lot to 8/1, and Karl Robinson has come in to 16/1.

Hills have put a market up this morning (only 3 bookies have a market on it btw, they don't really care).

They've got Pulis 8/11, McLaren 2/1, Mcleish, Phelan, Pearce 16/1.

Elsewhere Appletons odds have shortened a lot to 8/1, and Karl Robinson has come in to 16/1.

McLaren no Mcleish no Pearce no Appleton no

Looking at who's available and there are some good, proven managers out there in my view. Obviously the same names get banded around on here but its always important to look at their track record etc. Now obviously its what they do, whoever we get, here at Derby County FC and not what they have already achieved, and I know he incites hatred amongst many of us here but personally could see Warnock doing a job, proven at this level with an overall win percentage of 40% - similar to the signing of Savage in my opinion. 

Judging however on the bookie's favourites I feel that despite having a decent record, Pulis' style would take even longer to establish here than Clough's did. McLaren would be a decent option but only if he was more of a head coach role to someone like O'Neill (my personal hope is we get O'Neill - very down to earth, experienced if not a little too 'expensive') would be a good move.

More far fetched hopes would be someone, as mentioned, who is a bit more of a punt such as Eranio, Muelensteen etc. Muelensteen was a genius at Man Utd with Fergie and has great links in football, as well as being Dutch this would be a potential masterstroke if he came...

Just my opinions really and doubt they will have any bearing on the decision whatsoever!

All the money seems to be for McClaren today, his price shortening and Pulis going out. Would be very dubious about McClaren myself, he resigned after being accused of negative and defensive football in his second spell in Holland (after facing similar claims in his time at Boro), also proving a total disaster with the Red Dogs in the short time he was there. But his short term contract on the backroom staff at QPR is about up so could quite see them going for him unfortunately.

Michael Appleby also appeared from nowhere in the betting today at 6/1 with one firm, the rest at quite big prices.

Sounds like someone who isnt in work, the way they are talking, though wouldnt mind trying for Dyche myself, the compensation would probably be a factor. Also wouldnt mind George Burley though suppose he is in the pipe n slippers stage and also hasnt done as well since Derby and Hearts, but at least tried to play good football.

Cant argue with Pulis' record at Stoke though ideally not my type of football on the whole, if it gets results suppose people would be happy enough in the end, taking them into Europe and stabilising in the Premiership for 5 or 6 seasons was excellent really from where they came from.

Archived