Sam Longson's Autobiography

Ambitious

I can't see this ending well! 

Longson was Rams chairman for 11 years, including the most successful period in the club's"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/lb_icon1" alt="lb_icon1"> history, between 1967-77.

With Clough as manager, the Rams won the Second Division title and then became League champions for the first time in 1971-72. Clough's successor, Dave Mackay, guided the Rams to another League title in 1974-75, while the Rams also had five European campaigns, including a semi-final.

But the shock resignation of Clough in 1973 still reverberates, returning to the headlines once again following publication of "The Damned United" by David Peace, and the film of the same name in 2009.

Now Mulholland hopes "Sam's Story" will offer a different perspective on that period in the Rams history and the role of Longson, who died in 1989.

"In recent years, there have been books, a movie and a heck of a lot of stuff on the website which I don't think is fair to Derby County's history, Sam's contribution and the relationship between Sam and Brian," said Mulholland, who married Sam's third daughter, Jennifer.

"I thought we should make an effort to put that right, if we can.

"Sam kept memoirs with the help of his wife, Connie, who was meticulous with newspaper cuttings.

"Several years after he left Derby County, the club got into difficulties in the 1980s and he didn't think it was right to publish his memoirs then because he thought it would stir things up.

"There was a lot of interest from the media at the time and I know the Mirror and the Mail were keen to do something about his book. But Sam didn't want to cause controversy, so he resisted Press attempts.

"I said to him that there still might be a time when it needed to be published and I think that time is now."

The film "The Damned United" drew a critical response, with many who were involved in that era complaining about some of the inaccuracies portrayed.

"There was one scene in the Damned United film which riled me in particular," added Mulholland. "Sam'sdriving"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1" alt="icon1"> principle was based on how Harold Hardman, a director and then chairman of Manchester United in the 1940s and 50s, operated and the relationship he had with manager Matt Busby. Sam wanted the same relationship that they had.

"He believed that the relationship between the manager and the chairman was key. There was a scene in the film where he was telling Brian that the manager wasn't as important as other factors in running the club. He also swore at Brian which is something he would not do – Sam was brought up as a Methodist and you never swore. That scene in particular struck me as utterly unfair."

Mulholland also hopes the book reminds readers that it was Longson who gave Clough and Taylor their chance at the Baseball"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/lb_icon1" alt="lb_icon1"> Ground, after a recommendation by former England and Sunderland forward Len Shackleton.

"Sam saw Brian playing for Middlesbrough, I think, and was impressed by the way he commanded the team and certainly the attack," said Mulholland.

"Sam was criticised for not renewing the contract of manager Tim Ward, which actually allowed him to bring in Brian and Peter in 1967. He was delighted in the early years about the relationship they had which brought so much success.

"In the end Sam was concerned about Brian's increasing role on TV and with some of the things he was saying. He was worried it would get the club into trouble with the FA.

"I actually remember driving him to one meeting with the FA where they tore a strip off him over something that Brian had said on TV."

Longson's autobiography "Sam's Story" is published by Caron Publications and due out on October 17.

"In fairness to Sam's memory and also to the club's history, this is a story that should be told," added Mulholland.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived